OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I loved The Wire. You seem to have the exact same taste in movies and TV as I do!

The Wire is in my top 3 all time best shows.

In terms of a show having such a wide range of characters that each one's story you were fully consumed with, there will never be a better show. Each season was amazing, with distinct underlying themes, great series!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The wife and I started watching Homeland together the past few weeks. We just got to season 4 last night. So far so good. Claire Danes has been excellent so far

My second favourite intelligence series, after The Americans. I think the ending to this final season was perfect, if indeed it is the end. One of the creators has said he is open to continuing the series, perhaps on a streaming platform.

Berlin Station is also very good. Pretty pissed that show didn't get a longer run.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is it polarizing? It's always mentioned with top shows. I enjoyed everything but the last season.
The season with the kids stays with you for a long time.

I have heard some people mention they tried it and didn’t like it.

It’s pretty dark and has a slower pace due to the surveillance squad and how that sets the tone. That being said I think it’s as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Chuck

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Andrew Lloyd Webber's musicals will be streamed online for free!

A new YouTube channel has launched, called The Shows Must Go On! Each week, a new musical will be released and streamed live on the channel. It will remain available for 48 hours.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/artic...PCwFRKCZH6RLykp61JM4Ff9AOLnipVYUbZdhelN9afXPQ

This weekend Friday May 15 to Sunday May 17 : CATS (Stage Show)

For those who missed the free online stream here is another YouTube link with the full performance with some bonus footage.

Last edited:
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
I just finished watching Catch 22. Streamed VOD citytv. So good. Only 1 season/short series.
Also angry at how it ended because the season/series ends with the viewer wanting a clean finish and you don't get it.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
"Once Were Brothers" is a good documentary about The Band.

"Festival Express" is a good documentary about the train trip (literally) musicians including the Grateful Dead, the Band, Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy and many other bands took from Toronto after playing a concert there. The Festival Express train travelled to Winnipeg to play a concert at the old stadium (with no upper deck) on July 1, 1970 then went on Calgary for a concert there making an unscheduled stop in Saskatoon to pick up booze. The riots over ticket prices and Calgary's mayor at the time trying to tell the promoter to "let the kids in for free" show just how much times were different then. Toronto also had a mini-riot with fans demanding to be let in for free because the promoter "had already made enough money". (He lost a boatload of money but made sure the musicians had a good time) There's some good quotes from musicians in there. "Woodstock was for the fans. The train was for the musicians. This was better than Woodstock." "Most musicians want to get to their show, play it and get home as fast as possible. This was the opposite. None of the musicians wanted the trip to the show to end."

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Wire is in my top 3 all time best shows.

In terms of a show having such a wide range of characters that each one's story you were fully consumed with, there will never be a better show. Each season was amazing, with distinct underlying themes, great series!
It is pretty real to life as well. It shows the streets as they are.
I am 2/3 the way through The Sopranos for the 4th? time.
The last two seasons of Homeland were very good.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just finished season 1 of “Goliath” on Prime. Billy Bob Thornton and William Hurt were excellent in their roles. I would recommend it.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Watched the first 2 episodes of Space Force, it's pretty good and has alot of funny actors in it.

Reactions: ps241

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I’ve seen up until the end of season 7. Is season 8 the end of the series, or will they keep going?

The co-creators Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon have said it's over for now, but haven't ruled out continuing at some point, possibly on a streaming service like Netflix. As you will see when you get through season 8, they have opened up a wonderful new world of story-telling that I would love to see explored. Clearly, a lot will depend on whether the principles (Claire Danes, Mandy Patinkin, and someone who shall not be named for potential spoiler reasons) are interested in continuing on. I would not want this show "re-booted" like they tried to do with 24.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Watched the first 2 episodes of Space Force, it's pretty good and has alot of funny actors in it.

Yeah, I don't know. Some of it was funny, but the second episode had just way too much stupid implausible... strike that, impossible situations. I mean, even a silly farce has to at least pay lip service to the principles of science. :facepalm: I'll keep watching it, hoping it gets better.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Add Line of Duty to your must-see TV lists. It's a police procedural from Northern Ireland that follows cops investigating corruption within the police. You need a seat belt for all the unexpected twists and turns. :laugh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah, I don't know. Some of it was funny, but the second episode had just way too much stupid implausible... strike that, impossible situations. I mean, even a silly farce has to at least pay lip service to the principles of science. :facepalm: I'll keep watching it, hoping it gets better.
Ya the monkey thing was a bit goofy but with that cast it's got to be worth sticking it out a bit more . It was funny when the Chinese ship cut the solar panels off though. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Add Line of Duty to your must-see TV lists. It's a police procedural from Northern Ireland that follows cops investigating corruption within the police. You need a seat belt for all the unexpected twists and turns. :laugh:

Is it Netflix? TV or Movie?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is it Netflix? TV or Movie?

Series, up to season 5, more to come. Superchannel has been running all the seasons. It looks like Amazon Prime has them for streaming. Each season has its own "villains" but there is an underlying story arc connecting them.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Just finished season 1 of “Goliath” on Prime. Billy Bob Thornton and William Hurt were excellent in their roles. I would recommend it.
Yes I mentioned Goliath earlier. Perfect role for Billy Bob. Season 1 and 2 were amazing. Season 3 kinda got weird, but still very good.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
And it’s all true stories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad