OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
“Dead To Me” on Netflix - I highly recommend. Season 2 just recently came out and was even better than 1st season. Christina Applegate is really funny. Linda Cardellini is good in anything she does. Lots of twists and turns, very unpredictable and wild dark comedy.

Reactions: mondo3

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
3 movie recommends...

Parasite (on Crave) - you’ll never see another movie like this, such a unique storyline. First 30-40 minutes kinda drag, but stick with it.

Train To Busan (on Amazon) - similar to Parasite, also from South Korea. Easily the most intense zombie movie you’ll watch. It’s subtitled, but honestly wasn’t a big deal because of all the action. Apparently a 2nd movie is coming out this year.

Good Girls Get High (on Crave) - In the same vein as Superbad, but with very intelligent teenage girls. The most I’ve laughed watching a movie in a while. And it’s an easy watch, only 1h15m.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
If you're into British cop shows I found Shetland on Netflix to be very good. The first season the episodes are two-parters but seasons 2 and 3 are one case over 6 episodes.

Unfortunatly we don't get Yellowstone in Canada.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Some older series worth watching:

Treme - near the top of my favorites (Lucia Micarelli is awesome)
The Killing - first 3 seasons were pretty good but season 4 is a bit of a letdown.
Deadwood - also near the top of my favorites
Carnivale - was good
Supernatural - the older seasons 1 - 5 I thought were great, seasons 6 - 15 were pretty good

Newer ones

Carnival Row - season 1 was good
Altered Carbon - season 1 was good, season 2 I did not like

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Some older series worth watching:

Treme - near the top of my favorites (Lucia Micarelli is awesome)
The Killing - first 3 seasons were pretty good but season 4 is a bit of a letdown.
Deadwood - also near the top of my favorites
Carnivale - was good
Supernatural - the older seasons 1 - 5 I thought were great, seasons 6 - 15 were pretty good

Newer ones

Carnival Row - season 1 was good
Altered Carbon - season 1 was good, season 2 I did not like
I loved The Killing. Such a great series. The two lead actors are also in the Hanna series on Amazon.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Goliath, Absentia, Hanna, Bosch, The Boys... Amazon is an easy investment to justify.

OK, but just so people know. The more TV shows I get interested in, the less time I will have for posting my views of the world on this board. :nod:

As it is, I've now started watching Stranger Things (good), Space Force (meh), Snowpiercer series (disappointing), still got a whole bunch of movies on the PVR and there just aren't enough hours in the day. If someone ever invents a pill that replaces sleep, they will become a billionaire overnight.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
OK, but just so people know. The more TV shows I get interested in, the less time I will have for posting my views of the world on this board. :nod:

As it is, I've now started watching Stranger Things (good), Space Force (meh), Snowpiercer series (disappointing), still got a whole bunch of movies on the PVR and there just aren't enough hours in the day. If someone ever invents a pill that replaces sleep, they will become a billionaire overnight.

I'm a few episodes into Space Force and have Snowpiercer on my list, so hopefully I disagree with your views on those two :laugh:. Between online classes, a kid and work, I've still got old episodes of Vikings on my PVR, which is how far back I'm behind. It just took me almost a full month to watch the 3 hour Survivor finale in 10 minute bursts at a time.

Goliath, Absentia, Hanna, Bosch, The Boys... Amazon is an easy investment to justify.

Good to know as I've just dropped Crave after watching Parasite (excellent), paying $20/mth for only John Oliver isn't worth it, despite how good I find his show. Amazon is the replacement, though the ads I've seen for Bosch and the main character do not make me want to watch it.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I'm a few episodes into Space Force and have Snowpiercer on my list, so hopefully I disagree with your views on those two :laugh:. Between online classes, a kid and work, I've still got old episodes of Vikings on my PVR, which is how far back I'm behind. It just took me almost a full month to watch the 3 hour Survivor finale in 10 minute bursts at a time.

Good to know as I've just dropped Crave after watching Parasite (excellent), paying $20/mth for only John Oliver isn't worth it, despite how good I find his show. Amazon is the replacement, though the ads I've seen for Bosch and the main character do not make me want to watch it.
Bosch isn’t for everybody. And yes - I’ve heard other people say they don’t like the lead character either. But it’s just a good solid cop drama.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Bosch isn’t for everybody. And yes - I’ve heard other people say they don’t like the lead character either. But it’s just a good solid cop drama.

I guess I'm just worn out on the "world weary cop who has a heart of gold and is a great detective" archetype. I've seen so many of those shows.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Here is a feast for the eyes... feast for the intrepid imagination...

Invisible enemies have haunted us these last 3 months...

Here is an enemy you can't help but see...

A big fan of the World Class Mountain Climbers and Sherpas...

A shout out to one of My heroes...

Reinhold Messner...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Here is a feast for the eyes... feast for the intrepid imagination...

Invisible enemies have haunted us these last 3 months...

Here is an enemy you can't help but see...

A big fan of the World Class Mountain Climbers and Sherpas...

A shout out to one of My heroes...

Reinhold Messner...

I keep meaning to watch Free Solo but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Brews Brothers on Netflix is really funny. Same folks who made The League is involved with this. The only thing I dont like is that it's only 8 episodes:(.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I keep meaning to watch Free Solo but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.

Honnold is a courageous person... and possibly devoid of some sense.

That free climb at El Capi' is in a word stupid. I haven't seen it yet either...
Free Solo is a hell of a watch.

Mind boggling what Honnold does, the focus it would take to climb that mountain with no ropes. There's some absolutely breathtaking moments in that film.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm a few episodes into Space Force and have Snowpiercer on my list, so hopefully I disagree with your views on those two :laugh:.

I'll upgrade my impression of Space Force. It was that really stupid 2nd episode (with the monkey) that got to me, but overall it's pretty good. Steve Carell and John Malkovich are nothing to sneeze at. I'm warming to the daughter, who I couldn't stand at first. Sometimes it just takes a while for a show to settle in to its characters. But for God's sake, give Noah Emmerich (The Americans) a bigger role. How does this guy not have his own series?

My big problem with Snowpiercer is that they could have done so much more with the milieu than turning it into a murder mystery whodunit. That seems to have been resolved a few episodes in so we'll see where it goes from here, but I still have my doubts with that hack from Orphan Black as the showrunner. Still, nice to se Alison Wright (another The Americans alum) back in episodic TV. OMG, I miss that show. Oh, and maybe hire a decent special effects company for the external train VFX scenes. I mean, those are just sad.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'll upgrade my impression of Space Force. It was that really stupid 2nd episode (with the monkey) that got to me, but overall it's pretty good. Steve Carell and John Malkovich are nothing to sneeze at. I'm warming to the daughter, who I couldn't stand at first. Sometimes it just takes a while for a show to settle in to its characters. But for God's sake, give Noah Emmerich (The Americans) a bigger role. How does this guy not have his own series?

My big problem with Snowpiercer is that they could have done so much more with the milieu than turning it into a murder mystery whodunit. That seems to have been resolved a few episodes in so we'll see where it goes from here, but I still have my doubts with that hack from Orphan Black as the showrunner. Still, nice to se Alison Wright (another The Americans alum) back in episodic TV. OMG, I miss that show. Oh, and maybe hire a decent special effects company for the external train VFX scenes. I mean, those are just sad.

I'm fully on board with any Americans praise, it's my favourite series of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad