OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have 2 episodes left of Yellowstone season 1 and don't know if I'll continue with season 2. Does its pace pick up? Don't get me wrong, it's good but I think there are better series out there I could be watching instead. Or maybe Deadwood has spoiled me for all other western style series... :nod:

Take it into season 2, the Beck Brothers are worth checking out.

Reactions: jefferoni

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Anybody watch the Amazon series “Wolf Like Me”? Wasn’t expecting THAT storyline, but it was really good. It’s an easy watch… only six 30 minute episodes. And added bonus, it features a few Queens of the Stone Age songs. Two thumbs up from me.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I haven’t gotten the Disney channel for a long time, resisting it. Well recently got it and enjoying it.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Tinder Swindler on Netflix was something else, some people are just terrible human beings .

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
More on Webb, built by very nice humans. :nod:. In this case, they offer a comparison of the time scale by which the Hubble and Webb scope can peer into our past.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 3.58.52 PM.png

Reactions: John Agar

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
A common question at group BBQ's from years back, of friends and their friends, and their friends didn't know you, was, "If you could spend a day with anyone, who would it be and why ?...

I would say Anthony Bourdain...

A.B. was so similar in eerie ways... I was never addicted to cocaine, never wrote a Bestseller... but our backgrounds and passions, interests in so many ways were so congruous...

If you have never read Kitchen Confidential... read it... especially if you had ever worked in restaurants for any significant time... was like a mirror to Me...

He was damn cool... for those that admired him, he let us all down...

But I forgive him...

Find the Documentary "Roadrunner" A Film About Anthony Bourdain...

rod.jpeg

One of My favorite lines in the Doc' comes early from Anthony... he's in his kitchen at Les Halles in NYC... he's just learned he's got a best seller with Kitchen Confidential... he's in his Chef whites, just before his shift... his mind is blown, but he's driven to excel and be a winner..

Someone says that's great news to him... and Anthony replies with a cynical look and roll of the eyes and head... He then nods at the kitchen door and says... "Anything beyond that door... I'm suspicious of it"...

If you've worked as a Restaurant Manager or Chef and were good at it... f*** that's a genius statement...

Just saw the CNN commercial.

Reactions: ps241 and John Agar

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Beggining Season 2 of Succession (family meeting at the house in the country) and the dad is a beauty (brilliantly acted by Brian Cox). In some ways what it takes to get to his level professionally as portrayed can come with those psychopathic tendencies (watch the Jimmy Pattinson documentary if you get a chance). I like how how he singles out the people to bring into the room one at a time to mind f*** them. He does offer the CEO job to the only child of his that would have a remote chance of not running it into the ground in 15 minutes but I’m sure its just a game. I have found a soft spot for Tom now, its a very over written character but he has moments that make me laugh.

Why do parents insist on brining their kids into their business in real life. Such an easy way to destroy your family or strain it. I was in a forum group once with fellow business owners and all but two were men and women that were part of their family businesses and sadly it always reminded me of the Roy’s on a smaller scale. Hell even the most financially successful one I know the son had to find a way to have his dad (the founder) removed from the company offices and agree to never come back in.

My opinion but from what I have seen with bringing kids into your business the Juice is never worth the squeeze. It is not good for the children. When I hear a founder that has to sell because his kids don’t want any piece of it I think, thank god dad or mom you got lucky. To be clear I have seen it work wonderfully on one occasion. Dad passed on a solid business to his son and daughter and they expanded the hell out of it and all three got along perfectly well and loved each other. They built a really respectful culture and built a good place to work where their staff seem to stay forever and get treated very well. I know the son and he is a solid human being and he speaks so respectfully of his dad (the founder) and sister who ran the place with him side by side until she got too sick with cancer.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
It's funny how all this mess leads us to branch out...

I'm not a sitcom guy... not a melodrama tv guy... certainly not a soap opera guy...

But strange things happen...

I think it was @Channelcat that mentioned Cobra Kai the series a long ways back...

Then I gave it a gander a week ago...

It's an extension obviously of the Karate Kid movies... with the actual actors playing their original characters...

But a weird mix of Happy Days... Jumpstreet... with excellent screenplay... storytelling with attention to detail... cheese... very good acting... humor and it's very adult...

It's not what you would expect... it's clever...

Give Cobra Kai a try... on Netflix...

Gave it a try, loved it! Almost done season 2 in less than a week.

While I hadn’t watched Karate Kid since 1984, when I was 13, the first episode of Cobra Kai reminded me immediately why I loved that movie as a young teen.

The cut scenes from the original movie tie in perfectly to the current story line, and it makes perfect sense. The bully living in the past and the bullied living successfully in the present.

The nostalgia was something I wasn’t expecting. That and a cohesive believable storyline with the main original characters. Johnny Lawrence is pure awesome, perfectly played by Zabka, and
Macchio brings the same squeaky clean Danny Laruzzo that we cheared for back in the 80s.

To flip the script, and have us align to the bully’s POV this time, was brilliant. One of the best scenes so far was when Lawrence explains his feud with Laruzo to his student. “ He moved in on my girl, sucker punched me at a beach party, poured cold water on me in the bathroom stall, what was I supposed to do?”

And when they showed the scenes back to the original movie of Laruzzo doing that to Lawrence, you start thinking, maybe Laruzzo deserved the ass kicking he got back then.

Awesome storyline, love the 80s references, cheesy 80s montages where a 15 minute karate exercise equates to someone becoming a black belt, hair bands and awesome 80s music along with a cohesive storyline makes this a very good watch.

Reactions: John Agar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad