OT: TV and Movie Suggestions for the Self Isolated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Looking for suggestions on what to watch during our lock down time.

TV Show recommendations:

Narco's Mexico S1 and 2 - Best drug cartel show out there. The Columbia seasons are excellent to and worth checking out.

Better Call Saul - If you loved BB, then you will love BCS. A little slower than Breaking Bad, but still amazingly shot, excellently acted and well written.

Ozark - Really enjoyed this series, similar to Breaking Bad, but different in many ways.

Animal Kingdom - Sleeper pick, was pleasantly surprised by this series, and became a favorite for the wife and I to watch.

Stranger Things - Weird and the 80s all wrapped together.

Comedies:

Schitt's Creek - we all need a safe feel good show during these times, and this is it.

The Office and Parks and Rec are our all time favorites, and are constantly playing in our household.

Movies:

Just watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - Really like it.

McMillions - 6 part documentary series on the McDonald's Monopoly Scam that took place from 1989 to 2001 - We ripped through this series, it was excellent. They have most of the people infiltrated along with those that ran the investigation. Mind blowing this actually took place.

Of course, the 2 best shows ever produced and go without saying, that if you haven't seen Breaking Bad or The Wire, do so, both register as top shows of all time.

Anyways, we are on lock down without sports, what is worth watching out there???

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
I just got a hold of The Sopranos - Season 1.

Is this worth watching? I know it's well received, but I've never seen it.

Generally not a fan of mobster shows, unless it's South American drug lords (Narcos, Narcos Mexico), then I'm all over it.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I believe it's only on amazon's streaming thing (which you get free if you have amazon prime, at least in the US), but The Americans was hands down my favorite show. It's not a show to watch while browsing your phone or being distracted, and it may not be very fast paced in a lot of instances, but it is captivating TV.

For amusing comedy, although more absurdist than P&R or the Office, I'd recommend Community, at least the first 3 seasons (although the remainder of the series was still decent). Not everyone's cup of tea though. It's on Hulu and I think hits Netflix in a few weeks.

If you're interested in superhero shows, I'd say most of Daredevil (although I think it helped that i was familiar with the character from the comics) and season 1 of Jessica Jones were all very good, on Netflix.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

TV Show recommendations:

Narco's Mexico S1 and 2 - Best drug cartel show out there. The Columbia seasons are excellent to and worth checking out.

Better Call Saul - If you loved BB, then you will love BCS. A little slower than Breaking Bad, but still amazingly shot, excellently acted and well written.

Ozark - Really enjoyed this series, similar to Breaking Bad, but different in many ways.

Animal Kingdom - Sleeper pick, was pleasantly surprised by this series, and became a favorite for the wife and I to watch.

Comedies:

Schitt's Creek - we all need a safe feel good show during these times, and this is it.

The Office and Parks and Rec are our all time favorites, and are constantly playing in our household.

Movies:

McMillions - 6 part documentary series on the McDonald's Monopoly Scam that took place from 1989 to 2001 - We ripped through this series, it was excellent. They have most of the people infiltrated along with those that ran the investigation. Mind blowing this actually took place.

Of course, the 2 best shows ever produced and go without saying, that if you haven't seen Breaking Bad or The Wire, do so, both register as top shows of all time.

Anyways, we are on lock down without sports, what is worth watching out there???

You nailed that list from my perspective!

The only thing I haven't seen is Better Call Saul.... I may start it this week though. Soon as I finish the last 2 episodes of Narco's Mexico season 2.

Season 3 of Ozark is supposed to drop on March 27th I think.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just got a hold of The Sopranos - Season 1.

Is this worth watching? I know it's well received, but I've never seen it.

Generally not a fan of mobster shows, unless it's South American drug lords (Narcos, Narcos Mexico), then I'm all over it.

You should watch it, I was a big fan of the Soprano's. This is a month when one can burn off a bit of time on a risk.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The Aaron Hernandez series on Netflix was very good , the Fyre festival doc was unreal . Soprano's was the best , i have every season on DVD.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

TV Show recommendations:

Comedies:

Movies:

Liked Once upon a time in Hollywood as well , the ending was unreal .

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I believe it's only on amazon's streaming thing (which you get free if you have amazon prime, at least in the US), but The Americans was hands down my favorite show. It's not a show to watch while browsing your phone or being distracted, and it may not be very fast paced in a lot of instances, but it is captivating TV.

For amusing comedy, although more absurdist than P&R or the Office, I'd recommend Community, at least the first 3 seasons (although the remainder of the series was still decent). Not everyone's cup of tea though. It's on Hulu and I think hits Netflix in a few weeks.

If you're interested in superhero shows, I'd say most of Daredevil (although I think it helped that i was familiar with the character from the comics) and season 1 of Jessica Jones were all very good, on Netflix.

Unfortunately, FX Canada seems to have their own lousy streaming service so The Americans isn't on Amazon Prime up here.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
How is the TV series, Mad Men?
I found it very slow and eventually faded off watching it.

It was interesting from a time period aspect, very well acted and character driven, just slow paced. I didn’t finish it so not sure if it picked up in the later seasons.

Reactions: SUX2BU

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
There are series that overall were ok, but had some exceptional seasons in them.

Dexter, overall a really good series with some soso seasons, and some exceptional seasons. S1 and 2 were off the hook good!

Homeland overall decent show but season 1 and 2 were excellent, fast paced.

Weeds, started off with a bang but ended on a dud. Seasons 1 and 2 were hilarious and worth watching.

Silicon Valley solid, really enjoyed the first 3 seasons.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Anyone watched The Man in the High Castle series? I'm wondering if it's worth the binge

I binge-watched season 1 and it really hooked me, but never found the time to start into season 2. If you are at all into alternate history, WW2, and/or sci go you’ll really like it. I did find the good guy characters kind of annoying but the main antagonist is a great, complex character.

Reactions: Afterburner

BoJet

May 2, 2016
Germany
Recently caught up on a few of the last Oscar-related movies:
-Parasite
-Joker
-Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
I’d give 5/5 stars to each one. All were great in their own regard. Oscar for Parasite was well deserved imo, and that says a lot with this kind of competition.
I heard Lighthouse was equally good, but it may not be a quarantine kind of movie..

Series suggestions for simple fun:
-Parks and Rec, yes!
-Flight of the Conchords
-Northern Exposure. This would be my go-to series for a quarantine situation. I keep the box-set at home just in case. Simple times. Guilty pleasure. :)
-It’s the end of the f**** world
-Bojack. Horseman, obviously. No, wait, I said simple fun... this one gets very dark and depressing... but in a good way I guess. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad