TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I sure hope not. Not with Matthews career high 29 assists. BTW Schiefele has a proven high of 50 assists. Thus he is not better than Scheifele as to your better than Scheifele comment earlier. And we haven't even touched on the playoffs from last year yet.
Since goals are also a factor Matthews was better than Scheifele last season in that category. He also had more total points as well.

Reactions: Zrinski

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
good thing it's not a ranking of the top 50 playmakers throughout their entire career

Good thing you pointed out a flaw there. But you can sure look at the most recent play also. 29 assists to 37 in 2 less games for Scheifele, and 2 pts to 20 in the playoffs last year. Yeah Matthews is better than Scheifele as you stated. One thing I do know at this time. You sure can-lose-in-the-playoffs-with-Matthews.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
You can say MacKinnon should not be a top 8 centre and ahead of Matthews. He also needs to back up what he did last year and prove it was not a fluke.
Genuinely fair point. I'd put Matthews in a group with him, Seguin, Getzlaf, Eichel, Barzal, Tavares, and Kuznetsov, above guys like Backstrom, Couturier, Stamkos, and Point.

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
I don't think anybody should be surprised that a subjective list projecting the upcoming season isn't met with universal agreement.

The fact that so many people are crying about Matthews being ranked "too high" shows just how obsessed these people are with the Leafs. Every single one of us would submit a different list from others, but there's supposed to be some universal truth to the rankings? What a silly expectation.

Every one of these "usual suspects" make me chuckle. They are so predictable with their whining without offering any valid argument to support their feelings. It must be driving them nuts to constantly feel the need to comment on how much worse Matthews is than how he is perceived by others.

Reactions: Zrinski

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Believe me, I know how you feel. If the Leafs traded Marner for the guy who's 8 spots ahead of him I'd be very upset to say the least.

You wouldn't trade Marner right now for Tarasenko at their current levels? I think you should look into that.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
You can say MacKinnon should not be a top 8 centre and ahead of Matthews. He also needs to back up what he did last year and prove it was not a fluke.

MacKinnon took over games and dominated them by himself last season quite a few times. Lol "fluke"
I don't believe he should be 3rd, but he is for sure ahead of Matthews. Matthews isn't even a top 10 center in the NHL let alone top 10 player.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You wouldn't trade Marner right now for Tarasenko at their current levels? I think you should look into that.

Marner outproduced him last year and is five years younger - he's been playing in a kid's body but he's beginning to look more like a man now. He's poised to break out big time this season, by the time spring rolls around this won't be close, you'll see.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
So even though Matthews is a proven 40 goal scorer and one of the best 5v5 goal producers that's not good enough?

Is he better than Bergeron? How about Malkin? I mean this shit is laughable. I like Matthews. He is a great player, but hes not ahead of those guys. There are lots more too but whatever. Call me when he is PPG at least then we can talk top 10 center let alone player. Granted Bergy isn't ppg but he affects the outcome of games much more than a 40g player.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Is he better than Bergeron? How about Malkin? I mean this **** is laughable. I like Matthews. He is a great player, but hes not ahead of those guys. There are lots more too but whatever. Call me when he is PPG at least then we can talk top 10 center let alone player. Granted Bergy isn't ppg but he affects the outcome of games much more than a 40g player.
okay, done last season

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Is he better than Bergeron? How about Malkin? I mean this **** is laughable. I like Matthews. He is a great player, but hes not ahead of those guys. There are lots more too but whatever. Call me when he is PPG at least then we can talk top 10 center let alone player. Granted Bergy isn't ppg but he affects the outcome of games much more than a 40g player.
Look if you just want to compare Matthews to MacKinnon I don't agree with saying MacKinnon is the better player considering his 5th season was the first time he played up to his hype and potential of being a 1st overall pick, since Matthews first 2 seasons was better than his.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

He was last season bro...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad