TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Look if you just want to compare Matthews to MacKinnon I don't agree with saying MacKinnon is the better player considering his 5th season was the first time he played up to his hype and potential of being a 1st overall pick, since Matthews first 2 seasons was better than his.
But if it is right now, it's hard argue that Mackinnon isn't better than Matthews after last season. Right now with Matthews it is all about goals, ES points and pace. Yes Mack just broke out though but Matthews hasn't even broke 70pts and yet you would rank him at 8 ? And IMO Mack is clearly too high I wouldn't mind seeing Mack out of that top 10 after only one good season because I couldn't care less about TSN ranking my player since I firmly believe that he will establish himself as a top 10 player next season.

Reactions: dukeofjive

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Huh? Who’s complaining about him at 8? That’s his correct spot.

Taylor Hall is the league MVP
Claude Giroux is a 100 point man
Anze Kopitar- Selke winner and over a PPG with multiple cup wins

and that's just being logical. No one pushes the pace on the ice like Hall currently in the NHL, other then Mackinnon and McDavid.

Can AM supplant them this year ... he could, but lets get real here. TSN went a little homer here don't ya think ?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I’m not sure how you can put Ovechkin below Matthews.

Ovechkin's rankings on this list can pretty reliably be divided by 2 since it's inception.

Ovechkin can lead the NHL in goals and points by wide margins, PPG, GPG, +/-, and win 2 MVPs and 3 Pearsons in 3 straight seasons and they'll still say he's second best.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Can AM supplant them this year ... he could, but lets get real here. TSN went a little homer here don't ya think ?
Like I said before look at TSN's ranking of Phil Kessel on this list when he played for the Maple Leafs, so they didn't rank him any higher because of that. Plus why would they have dropped Tavares three spots from #13 last year to #16 this year?

Reactions: Zrinski

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I remember last year a lot of people used the argument that Matthews was not a PPG player against him, so at least with him doing that last season it's one less argument to put away.

It doesn't work that way. A point per game in one season is 82. Hence 82 games in a season. PPG pace is not a PPG player over a one season.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It doesn't work that way. A point per game in one season is 82. Hence 82 games in a season. PPG pace is not a PPG player over a one season.
Matthews still managed 63 points in 62 games played. In my opinion and in the minds of Leafs fans it means he was a PPG player. There is no rule saying to achieve that a player must play all 82 games.

Reactions: Zrinski

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Ovechkin at 12 right after winning the cup?? That's a laugh. Matthews at 8 is equally laughable. Marner on the list, but no Boeser.

Looks like a TSN list alright. One thing I can get on board with is omitting Toews.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews still managed 63 points in 62 games played. In my opinion and in the minds of Leafs fans it means he was a PPG player. There is no rule saying to achieve that a player must play all 82 games.

It means he was on a PPG pace over 62 games. He could have easily had 2 pts in his next 7 games as he did in the playoffs. Prorating is not the same as saying a player is a PPG over a full season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It means he was on a PPG pace over 62 games. He could have easily had 2 pts in his next 7 games as he did in the playoffs. Prorating is not the same as saying a player is a PPG over a full season.
Points per game, often abbreviated PPG, is the average number of points scored by a player per game played in a sport, over the course of a series of games, a whole season, or a career. It is calculated by dividing the total number of points by number of games.

hope that helps you figure out what PPG is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad