TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Very simply you don't think it's weird that MacKinnon who finished 2nd in the Hart Trophy to Hall was ranked #3 and Hall who won the Hart was ranked #9. Personally I think that looks worse than Matthews being ranked #8.

At least theres some logic behind it considering MacKinnon had the second best ppg last season, it may be something I disagree with for ranking him that high but at least an argument can made for it, Matthews not so much

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
I don’t have to justify anything to anyone. I watch Matthews 82+ times a year, I see everything else he does other than goals/points. It’s the people that don’t watch Matthews and look at the game end point sheet to judge him, that need to justify him as being too high. It’s laughable to ME, that people think he should be lower.

Intangibles amirite?!

Reactions: dukeofjive

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
And last year people were right, being ranked at #10 was too high for Matthews, but now hes at #8 and Toronto fans are the victim again ? Gimme a break

Speaking as a Toronto fan, I don't feel victimised at all. Come to think of it, I don't see many Leaf fans complaining either, it's just the anti-Leaf crowd that seems to have their knickers in knots.

It's a list, that's all it is. Anyone who's taking it seriously as if it means anything, I LOL in your general direction.

My best friend is a Leafs fan so we watch each other’s teams and chirp accordingly :)

LOL. You're playing the game the way it should be played. :laugh::laugh:

Enjoy the season!

Reactions: LeafGrief

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
This is a pretty bad list but when are these media lists ever great?

Yeah Matthews at 8 is dumb so is Mack at 3, I really don't get Ovi at 12 though especially after last season.

But what do I know, I am but a filthy commoner.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At least theres some logic behind it considering MacKinnon had the second best ppg last season, it may be something I disagree with for ranking him that high but at least an argument can made for it, Matthews not so much
They also project for what the players will do this season, so I guess their reason is with John Tavares also on the Leafs it will give Matthews easier match ups to score more goals and points.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
This thread is hilarious. My favourite posts are the ones complaining about Leafs fans complaining about people complaining about Matthews. It's so Meta, especially when they're followed by 5 posts complaining about Matthews.

[mod] I'm thrilled to see Matthews at 8 and I think he deserves it. Leafs bias my ass, a dominant two-way centreman who scores 40g isn't out of place in the top10. Laine does nothing besides score goals (but damn is he good at that) and he's at 23rd, clearly that weighs in pretty heavily. Yes Bergeron shut him down in the playoffs, if it makes you feel better I think Bergeron should be in the top10 too.

Last edited by a moderator:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
So... you have nothing lol. You don't have to justify your opinion, true, but you do if you want anyone to respect it.

I have watched a ton of Matthews career, I like him a lot - he's a great player. I don't think he's top 8, but if you have no argument beyond "I watch him every game and he's soooo good!" then, well, there's nothing to say here.
Nanananana that’s not how it works, you’re the one disagreeing with where he’s placed, so how about YOU provide something to support why he shouldn’t be there? Other than “LOL Matthews is too high LOL tsn” like the posters echoing the same thing in this thread.

Remember, this list is a projection for the 2018-2019 season. So I don’t care if Taylor Hall won the Hart, otherwise Hall would be ahead of MacKinnon too.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree with McDavid at #1. They should have stopped at that point. The rest is all subjective as there are many arguments of players too high and too low on the list.

Reactions: dukeofjive

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Edit: didn’t even notice the little Marner over Draisaitl bs. And leafs fans claim there is no bias.

I couldn’t even imagine how they’d react if their big wing/center with back to back 70 point seasons who is better defensively was looked off for a smaller winger with less offensive output.

Draisaitl outscored Marner by 1 point last season despite playing over 160 more minutes and he's still putting up the majority of his points on the wing of the best player in the league. Also, the list is meant to be a projection of the top 50 in 2018-19. Marner's second half of last season + playoffs + adding Tavares to his line means high expectations for next season.

Reactions: Zrinski

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think he's a generational playmaker, nor does he need to be to be ranked higher than Scheifele going into this season

I sure hope not. Not with Matthews career high 29 assists. BTW Schiefele has a proven high of 50 assists. Thus he is not better than Scheifele as to your better than Scheifele comment earlier. And we haven't even touched on the playoffs from last year yet.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Draisaitl outscored Marner by 1 point last season despite playing over 160 more minutes and he's still putting up the majority of his points on the wing of the best player in the league. Also, the list is meant to be a projection of top 50 in 2018-19. Marner's second half of last season + playoffs + adding Tavares to his line means high expectations for next season.
Marner also had 2 more assists than him and lead the Leafs in scoring during the regular season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I sure hope not. Not with Matthews career high 29 assists. BTW Schiefele has a proven high of 50 assists. Thus he is not better than Scheifele there as to your better than Scheifele comment earlier. And we haven't even touched on the playoffs from last year yet.
good thing it's not a ranking of the top 50 playmakers throughout their entire career, or a ranking of the top 50 playoff performers from these past playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00