TSN's Top 50 Player Rankings

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
It means he was on a PPG pace over 62 games. He could have easily had 2 pts in his next 7 games as he did in the playoffs. Prorating is not the same as saying a player is a PPG over a full season.
62 games played is good for 76% of a season... certainly a reasonable enough sample size to extrapolate a full season. You could also make a strong argument if he didn't have 3 different injuries over the season, he would've likely been above ppg pace.

Reactions: Zrinski

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
People need to remember this is as much a ranking of players now as it is a projection for next season as well.

Matthews isn't a Top 10 player in the league right now but he very well could be next season, which is what this list is suggesting. Just like how Mackinnon probably isnt the 3rd best player in the game right now either, but there's a solid chance he establishes himself as that player next season.

I dont have any issue with Matthews at #8.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not clicking this, but wtf does Ovechkin do at #12? He won the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Rocket.
After his offseason workout regiment I don’t think docking him a few spots is unreasonable. I think he’s still sweating off the booze

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Points per game, often abbreviated PPG, is the average number of points scored by a player per game played in a sport, over the course of a series of games, a whole season, or a career. It is calculated by dividing the total number of points by number of games.

hope that helps you figure out what PPG is

It is little disingenuous to say that Matthews was a ppg player last season when he missed 20 games. You could say he was pacing at a ppg but he did not complete a full season (although he was close).

62 games played is good for 76% of a season... certainly a reasonable enough sample size to extrapolate a full season. You could also make a strong argument if he didn't have 3 different injuries over the season, he would've likely been above ppg pace.

No, just no. There is no argument to be made that Matthews would be over a ppg pace. That is just projecting way too much.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It is little disingenuous to say that Matthews was a ppg player last season when he missed 20 games. You could say he was pacing at a ppg but he did not complete a full season (although he was close).

No, just no. There is no argument to be made that Matthews would be over a ppg pace. That is just projecting way too much.
no it isn't. That's literally what points per game is for. The amount of points you have divided by the number of games. it isn't meant to be a raw total

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Too High:
Matthews (8 should be around 19)
MacKinnon (3 should be around 8)

Too Low:
Ovechkin 12—->6
Backstrom 36—->23
Marchand 14——>9
Bergeron 17——->11
Forsberg 39——->30
Kane 15——>8

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
I never denied saying how last season MacKinnon had better stats than Matthews. I just think since last season was the first time he played like the 1st overall pick he was projected to be doesn't mean he should be ranked ahead of someone like Matthews who's first 2 seasons was better than what MacKinnon did prior to last season.
The stats presented were the last two years fir both Mathews and mackinnon.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Went into this thread fully expecting to see a large portion of it crying and whining about how they think Matthews doesn't deserve his ranking. And as expected, hfboards did not let me down.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Points per game, often abbreviated PPG, is the average number of points scored by a player per game played in a sport, over the course of a series of games, a whole season, or a career. It is calculated by dividing the total number of points by number of games.

hope that helps you figure out what PPG is

The poster I replied to said PPG over a season. This is not accurate, since I don't know any seasons that are roughly 60 games. This is the same argument you guys use when citing Matthews has more than 29 assists as a career high. P/60, PPG, projection stats are just that used for projection. As I said, Matthews next 7 games in the playoffs he had just 2 pts. This would have given him 65pts in 69 games actually last year. Projection does not match actual facts. One just can't make blanket assumptions that he would have been a 82 pt player last year.

Reactions: Uncle Bob

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Went into this thread fully expecting to see a large portion of it crying and whining about how they think Matthews doesn't deserve his ranking. And as expected, hfboards did not let me down.
:laugh: At this point, dehydration could become a concern.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I think the list is alright. Few players should be higher some should be lower but whatever.
The anger over Matthews spot is lauhlaugh and predictable. I just don't have the energy to debate it. Arguing with some of these guys is like trying to convince people who believe the earth is flat that its actually round.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Like I said before look at TSN's ranking of Phil Kessel on this list when he played for the Maple Leafs, so they didn't rank him any higher because of that. Plus why would they have dropped Tavares three spots from #13 last year to #16 this year?

Kessel ranked lower as a Penguin than he did in two of his seasons as a Leaf, despite the fact he just set a career high in points. If this bias against the Leafs existed, then Kessel should have finished well ahead of any ranking he earned as a Leaf.

Stop with the victim complex about the Leafs already.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The poster I replied to said PPG over a season. This is not accurate, since I don't know any seasons that are roughly 60 games. This is the same argument you guys use when citing Matthews has more than 29 assists as a career high. P/60, PPG, projection stats are just that used for projection. As I said, Matthews next 7 games in the playoffs he had just 2 pts. This would have given him 65pts in 69 games actually last year. Projection does not match actual facts. One just can't make blanket assumptions that he would have been a 82 pt player last year.
You do know that a players stats in the playoffs do not count towards what they did in the regular season. So it doesn't matter how Matthews performed stat wise against the Bruins in those 7 games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Kessel ranked lower as a Penguin than he did in two of his seasons as a Leaf, despite the fact he just set a career high in points. If this bias against the Leafs existed, then Kessel should have finished well ahead of any ranking he earned as a Leaf.

Stop with the victim complex about the Leafs already.
Yet when Kessel put up 80 and 82 points a season when he was with Toronto he was still ranked 47th and 38th, when that should have got him into the top 20. So that example proves he was not ranked any higher during his time in Toronto because he played for the Maple Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You do know that a players stats in the playoffs do not count towards what they did in the regular season. So it doesn't matter how Matthews performed stat wise against the Bruins in those 7 games.

The point was not playoffs pts added to regular season pts. The pt was making an assumption a player is a 82 pts player which is what you said when you said Matthews proved he was a PPG player over one season. This is a precarious position at best when Matthews could have easily gone in a slump as he factually did in his last 7 games in the playoffs where he fell out of a PPG pace. Pace does not equal factual achievements over 82 games. If they do, I would like to see a player win a scoring race on pace stats.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The point was not playoffs pts added to regular season pts. The pt was making an assumption a player is a 82 pts player which is what you said when you said Matthews proved he was a PPG player over one season is precarious at best when Matthews could have easily gone in a slump as he factually did in his last 7 games in the playoffs where he fell out of a PPG pace. Pace does not equal factually achievements over 82 games.
Yet Matthews did not go into a slump before the regular season ended and by definition he was a PPG last season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yet when Kessel put up 80 and 82 points a season when he was with Toronto he was still ranked 47th and 38th, when that should have got him into the top 20. So that example proves he was not ranked any higher during his time in Toronto because he played for the Maple Leafs.

At this point, I'm not even sure what you're arguing. Half the time it's about a Leaf victim complex, half the time it's to prove TSN isn't biased in favor of the Leafs. He was ranked 38th as a Leaf coming off 80 points and 40th as a Pen coming off 92 points. Shouldn't he be ranked higher after a 92 point season than an 80 point season?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
The point was not playoffs pts added to regular season pts. The pt was making an assumption a player is a 82 pts player which is what you said when you said Matthews proved he was a PPG player over one season is precarious at best when Matthews could have easily gone in a slump as he factually did in his last 7 games in the playoffs where he fell out of a PPG pace. Pace does not equal factually achievements over 82 games.
matthews was hurt to end the season and the playoffs, matthews says he was healthy cause he didnt want to make excuses but according to babs he wouldnt be healthy to end the season.... and any true fan could tell you he was hurt it was noticeable in his play. nice try.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Matthews only had the 20th highest ppg 1.02ppg) and the separation between him and the 50th (0.85 ppg) is about the same as him and the 8th (1.12).

How that gets him ranked as 8th is astonishing, especially when you dont even factor in goalies and dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad