TV: True Detective (Part IV)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
two episodes it looks like.

Just came to comment and noticed this. I'll still comment on the first episode. Definitely looks much closer to Season 1 visually and in the feel of the show. Liked the performances thus far. The perpetrator looks really clear at this stage, but something tells me that won't be the case. One big reveal though, but despite that it still leaves a lot of questions.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
First two episodes were pretty good. I agree it had a pretty similar feel to the first season. That slow, methodical build up as they work all the details of the case which I'm sure will lead somewhere crazy.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
A return to the S1 vibe sounds good to me.

Didn't get the chance to watch last night but I'll get caught up in a hurry.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Are there any actual tie ins to the first two seasons? I watched season 1, not 2 and my wife hasn't watched either. Will be ok jumping in at season 3?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Are there any actual tie ins to the first two seasons? I watched season 1, not 2 and my wife hasn't watched either. Will be ok jumping in at season 3?
There are some subtle references in both season 2 and 3 (so far) to season 1, but nothing that you would need to know. Each season is independent from each other.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Looks like Jeremy Saulnier (Blue Ruin, Green Room, Hold the Dark) directed the first 2 episodes, and then the rest are either Pizzolatto or Daniel Sackheim (not familiar with him but looks like he's almost exclusively done TV). Hopefully we don't get a big dip in quality.

Reactions: Lessavyfav

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Really liked it so far. Feels a lot like the first season. I was wishing I coulda just binged the whole thing right then and there.

I'm sure the whole side story with him meeting his wife will annoy me at times but overall its off to a good start.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think episode 3 is another winner. Can't wait to see Hays unleashed at some point with this in the background:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I thought episode 3 wasn't quite as good as the first 2, but Stephen Dorff is really doing a great job with that role

Wouldn't surprise me if this rejuvenates his career

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
So, theory. In the first episode the grandparents of the two children on the father's side mentioned that they believe that the wife runs around on the husband and that the daughter isn't even his. Has it been brought forth as a theory yet that considering the daughter is alive and being taken care of that the kidnapper could be the biological father? Isn't that the type of twist that would go along with a show like this? Where the real answer is something obvious and hinted and where the key clue for the audience is right there in the very first episode?

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So, theory. In the first episode the grandparents of the two children on the father's side mentioned that they believe that the wife runs around on the husband and that the daughter isn't even his. Has it been brought forth as a theory yet that considering the daughter is alive and being taken care of that the kidnapper could be the biological father? Isn't that the type of twist that would go along with a show like this? Where the real answer is something obvious and hinted and where the key clue for the audience is right there in the very first episode?

Sure, but why kill the boy?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I've got an idea kicking around my head as to what might have happened.

Not actually a spoiler, just a theory:
The killer is actually Hays. This goes along with his memory condition being worse than he, or anyone else realizes. A couple small things in my mind hinting that this might be a possibility: Him saying to the doctor that no one can tell him what's actually wrong with him. People describing a black man driving around. Him being isolated in the war may have messed with his mind.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I've got an idea kicking around my head as to what might have happened.

Not actually a spoiler, just a theory:
The killer is actually Hays. This goes along with his memory condition being worse than he, or anyone else realizes. A couple small things in my mind hinting that this might be a possibility: Him saying to the doctor that no one can tell him what's actually wrong with him. People describing a black man driving around. Him being isolated in the war may have messed with his mind.

He was drinking and shooting rats with his partner around the time the kids were abducted

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
He was drinking and shooting rats with his partner around the time the kids were abducted
Haha... I knew it wasn't exactly a well thought out theory, but I wanted to get it out there. That got shot down rather quickly and easily. At least now I can get it out of my head

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Haha... I knew it wasn't exactly a well thought out theory, but I wanted to get it out there. That got shot down rather quickly and easily. At least now I can get it out of my head

I've wondered if the teacher/wife is the culprit

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I read an article a few days ago where the writer made a very good case thinking the same as you that she might be involved.

Read the same article. Hindsight definitely makes a compelling argument but that is dangerous as these types of shows goes. She’s an interesting character for sure.

Reactions: sheed36

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I read an article a few days ago where the writer made a very good case thinking the same as you that she might be involved.

Read the same article. Hindsight definitely makes a compelling argument but that is dangerous as these types of shows goes. She’s an interesting character for sure.

I hadn't seen the article before suspecting her, but I've since given it a read

Whether she did it or not, she's definitely guilty of being distractingly attractive

carmen-ejogo-photoshoot-2015-02.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad