TV: True Detective (Part IV)

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Season 2 wasn't bad, but it would've been better if they had stretched the season by an extra 2 or 4 episodes. There was just too much stuff packed into the episodes, especially in the early ones. I felt like I had to watch each one two or three times to follow the plot, before going to the next one. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly binge-watch the season in a weekend.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, at times I had no idea what's going on. It felt like they had good ideas, but the execution was very confusing.
That's why I think a different director could've made a difference. I think they used several directors in season 2 actually, so that probably didn't help either.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I thought the Taylor Kitsch character didn't fit the season very well and it would have been better without him. With 4 main characters to focus on it really made the whole thing far less tight than season 1.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Season 2 wasn't good. It was a mess of a plot, but more importantly the atmosphere was completely lacking. Season 1 made you genuinely worry about what the characters were doing and what they were about to uncover. It was ominous. Season 2 had that sense of dread for about 1.5 episodes of the entire season.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Re-watched season 1, still incredible.

Season 2 is still a decent show, but because it is compared to season 1 it isn't nearly as well regarded.

I agree. Season one is a master piece, season two "just" a good show.
I just recently rewatched seson 1 but never really thought about rewatch season 2.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Season 1 probably cannot be topped.

If they do a 3rd season.. it should probably not be anything related to Season 1 because the chances of them getting it right are probably slim to none.

True Detective has been called an "anthology series" and so unless HBO/Pizzolatto have a change of heart and want to do this like Ryan Murphy does the "American Horror Story" series (where there are shared characters across different seasons), then each season will be its own self-contained storyline with their own characters.

Season two was not bad. Season one set the bar high.

Season 2 wasn't bad, but it would've been better if they had stretched the season by an extra 2 or 4 episodes. There was just too much stuff packed into the episodes, especially in the early ones. I felt like I had to watch each one two or three times to follow the plot, before going to the next one. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly binge-watch the season in a weekend.

I said it back when it was airing, Season 2 wasn't "bad". I remember talking w/ someone and saying that I thought the success and reverence of season 1 was casting a long shadow over S2. And with S2 being new characters and the central plot not having anything in common with S1 (the chase of a serial killer vs. government corruption), it made for an entirely different viewing experience. As a standalone, I long contested that S2 was a fine/good watch, but it definitely did not live up to the hype set by S1.

I thought the Taylor Kitsch character didn't fit the season very well and it would have been better without him. With 4 main characters to focus on it really made the whole thing far less tight than season 1.

I kind of agree with this, even though I liked was Kitsch's character went through, it just didn't fit with the rest of the story. Farrell's Velcoro was the heart of the season (obviously--he was the primary star).

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
True Detective has been called an "anthology series" and so unless HBO/Pizzolatto have a change of heart and want to do this like Ryan Murphy does the "American Horror Story" series (where there are shared characters across different seasons), then each season will be its own self-contained storyline with their own characters

Cool story but I already knew this. Has nothing to do with my comment. Simply stating whatveer story they go with or whoever they choose for actors will be hard to top the first season.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Cool story but I already knew this. Has nothing to do with my comment. Simply stating whatveer story they go with or whoever they choose for actors will be hard to top the first season.

Well, when you say that you hope it has nothing to do with season 1, it implied you weren't aware of how HBO has said the show would be structured. So yeah, it had to do wit your comment.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Well, when you say that you hope it has nothing to do with season 1, it implied you weren't aware of how HBO has said the show would be structured. So yeah, it had to do wit your comment.

Now you're telling me what my comment meant like you know what I'm articulating with my posts? Got it.... This board gets better and better every day. :rolleyes:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Now you're telling me what my comment meant like you know what I'm articulating with my posts? Got it.... This board gets better and better every day. :rolleyes:

I don't know why you're being a dick about this, but I took the post of yours he quoted the same exact way he did.

Anyways, I enjoyed S2. It was sloppy, no doubt, but I have no regrets watching it. And I agree with whoever said they should have gotten rid of Kitsch's character. I think that alone could have fixed a lot of the problems with S2.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don't know why you're being a dick about this, but I took the post of yours he quoted the same exact way he did.

Anyways, I enjoyed S2. It was sloppy, no doubt, but I have no regrets watching it. And I agree with whoever said they should have gotten rid of Kitsch's character. I think that alone could have fixed a lot of the problems with S2.

Because I clarified what I meant and still people try to push their own narrative. Rather than realizing they misinterpreted. That's why.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Yeah, I don't think I misinterpreted anything here man, and I certainly didn't do so to "push a narrative"

Here's what you said, verbatim:

Season 1 probably cannot be topped.

If they do a 3rd season.. it should probably not be anything related to Season 1 because the chances of them getting it right are probably slim to none.

If you knew what HBO/Pizzolatto's plans were for the True Detective banner, then you wouldn't have any reason to even say "it should probably not be anything related to Season 1", because it wouldn't a thought to them at this juncture. Now, that could always change, but since they've already publicly said that they intend for each season to be their own separate storylines/characters, one would think that if that was going to be a departure, we'd know about it (and at this point, the only departure they'd make would be to bring back McConaughey & Harrelson--not enough people were in to the S2 characters).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

He doesn't fit anything well
Awful actor.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Mahershala Ali to star in Season 3

That's the type of casting choice that can get people to come back to the show in a hurry.

Still remember how shocked everyone was at the Season 2 casting choices, outside of Farrell, and their performances didn't do much to quell people's concerns.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Ali is a nice start to the cast. I wish Fukunaga would come back to direct. Interested to see who fills out the rest of the cast.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Hopefully the 3 different time period aspect doesn't get too muddy and difficult to follow.

I'm definitely ready for another season, though. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad