TV: True Detective (Part IV)

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Saw this on Reddit:

Matthew McConaughey Is Interested in Reprising His True Detective Character.

...Pizzolatto and HBO are presumably looking for a season-three Hail Mary, and McConaughey hinted that he reached out to his former collaborator to discuss the possibility of returning, despite the show’s anthology format.

“It would have to be the right context, the right way,†McConaughey told Eisen. “That thing—when I read [the original script] I knew in 20 minutes if I can play this guy, Rustin Cohle, I’m in.â€

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...y-true-detective-season-3?mbid=social_twitter

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Prequel, or even better would be going after the head honcho of the cult.

I just got the sense that based on the ending of S1, the two of them were at peace, despite acknowledging that they "didn't get them all". It didn't seem like they had any plans to pursue the cult further.

Also, I feel like going after the rest of the cult would just be a season 1 re-hash. Whereas a Rust prequel could be drastically different in tone, setting etc.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Please please please please leave season 1 alone. Don't do anything involving those characters or story arc. It's perfect. Anything else will just continue to muddy its name.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
This is a show that needed time to produce a second season and not trying and throw something together to meet a deadline. It's like a musician who makes an amazing debut album and then follows it up within a year with garbage. It takes so much time to get your first break, long hours spent, rehearse the hell out of it. Once you've made it now the time crunch is on to follow it up with something that is equally as great but with a lot less devotion it took to create the first one.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Please do another one. It will either be great or not. Sequel/Prequels never affect my love of the movies I love. Arthur (Dudley Moore version) is still one of my favorites. That had one of the worst sequels ever.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Not exactly sure why a prequel would change people's opinions of the first season. It could be great it could be awful either way doesn't change season 1.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Sounds like a 3rd season may be happening.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/27/true-detective-season-3-david-milch/

After being off-the-air for two years — and following and plenty of speculation about its future — HBO’s True Detective is making some progress behind the scenes toward a new season.

EW has exclusively learned that creator Nic Pizzolatto has penned at least the first two episodes for a potential third edition of the acclaimed anthology crime drama.

We have also learned that Emmy-winning writer-producer David Milch — the mind behind dramas such as Deadwood and NYPD Blue — is coming on board to work with Pizzolatto.

We'll see. Loved the first season (of course) but I'm hot and cold on the second season. Hopefully they can come up with something good.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
As long as they get it right, it doesn't matter how long the new season takes. Take your time with this one, HBO. There is a hell of a lot riding on this (likely) new season.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Very happy to read that news. First off, season two was still a good season. It wasn't season one, but very little in television history is. Second though, Milch coming on board could be a great thing. I still think Deadwood is the best show I've ever seen (yes, better than The Wire) and if I recall correctly Pizzolatto got into writing after watching Deadwood so this could be a great partnership.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah, there's no reason not to go with a third season. People threw a fit over season 2 for unfair reasons - it wasn't season 1 - but it doesn't mean season 2 was bad. It's probably not something I'll revisit but I liked it enough.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah, there's no reason not to go with a third season. People threw a fit over season 2 for unfair reasons - it wasn't season 1 - but it doesn't mean season 2 was bad. It's probably not something I'll revisit but I liked it enough.

On one hand, Milch has a poor batting average with HBO. After season 2 he and Pizzolato together might be a tough sell. I think the wall of dialogue worked against S2. I don't think that would be mitigated by Milch.

On the other hand, maybe the established series would give him the built in audience he needs.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Season 1 probably cannot be topped.

If they do a 3rd season.. it should probably not be anything related to Season 1 because the chances of them getting it right are probably slim to none.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, Fukunaga's absence was the biggest reason for season 2 being such a mess.

But I doubt he'd be coming back. Him and Pizzolatto aren't getting along anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad