TV: True Detective (Part IV)

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Just rewatched season 1 and season 2. Season 1 is a bonafide masterpiece, even for the small "flaws" you can find. Episode 4 "Who Goes There" with the final continuous shot, is unreal. Epi is pure tension and the chemistry between Rust and Marty is amazing. Last episode is wonderful too of course. Love everything about it.

Season 2 was much more enjoyable for me the second time round surprisingly. Understood things better. Colin Farell was also amazing.

All in all, I'm going to be very disappointed if they're unable to get a season 3 done at some point. Try to squeeze out one more good story, with a good cast. Would like to see it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Still no word on season 3 is not a good thing

You're right, it's not a good thing. It's an absolutely great thing.

They rushed out season 2, and HBO admits it. Seasons 2 was a mediocre season of television at best, and mediocre is an insult to the name True Detective after the first season. If a third chapter happens, they need to allow it as long a time to gestate as it needs. Don't rush anything else out for the sake of having more seasons.

ytsur*

To those defending Season 2 in any way, please stop.

Season 1 set the standard, and by comparison, S2 is ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

season 2--they just tossed too much **** at the wall too quickly.

For me they should have had the plot more simple

Say two cops and vince vaughan---only thing being Vince vaughn not wanting out--but to become a bigger gangster

simple plot 2 cops (Ferrel and McAdams) out to bust Vaughan--and shoot it sort of like a law and order episode--first half you have Vaughan running his crimes and scams--second half you have the cops trying put together what ever big plan he is working on

but that is just me

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Sorry for enjoying something that you didn't. I'll try and tell my brain to not like S2 because some random cool dude on the internet hates it.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

I was certainly disappointed in it, but to make a blanket statement that the whole season had NOTHING good going for it is pretty extreme.

It wasn't close to season 1, but it certainly had parts that were well done. And if some adjustments had been made (cleaning up the plot to make it less convoluted), I really believe it could have been really good.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
season 2--they just tossed too much **** at the wall too quickly.

For me they should have had the plot more simple

Say two cops and vince vaughan---only thing being Vince vaughn not wanting out--but to become a bigger gangster

simple plot 2 cops (Ferrel and McAdams) out to bust Vaughan--and shoot it sort of like a law and order episode--first half you have Vaughan running his crimes and scams--second half you have the cops trying put together what ever big plan he is working on

but that is just me

That just sounds like a crummy cop show. Both the actual s2 and this season 2 miss the atmosphere that made True Detective season 1 great.

They should have just left the first season as a standalone. No need for this "anthology" BS. Just let the first season stand on its own merits without sullying the name of True Detective.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
I still have not seen season 2 yet (due to a large backlog of other shows) S1 to me was near perfect and from the sounds of it I should probably avoid S2. What do you all think, watch it or not? For those of you who absolutely loved the first season, did it taint your opinion on the show as a whole after seeing season 2?

In my eyes True Detective is that perfect first season as that is all I have seen so it's honestly still up there as one of my favourite shows.

ytsur*

Sorry for enjoying something that you didn't. I'll try and tell my brain to not like S2 because some random cool dude on the internet hates it.

Cool dude? LOL grow up. But if having a very low standard for entertainment suits you, more power to ya.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Cool dude? LOL grow up. But if having a very low standard for entertainment suits you, more power to ya.

This the srs business thread?

I enjoyed it, you didn't. Get off your high horse. Was it the best thing ever? Of course not, but that doesn't mean others didn't enjoy it. Don't act like your opinion speaks for everyone else out there.

ytsur*

This the srs business thread?

I enjoyed it, you didn't. Get off your high horse. Was it the best thing ever? Of course not, but that doesn't mean others didn't enjoy it. Don't act like your opinion speaks for everyone else out there.

Cool story. I'll type what I want and you do the same. You think S2 had redeeming qualities; I happen to think it's ****. The overwhelming majority are with me.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Cool story. I'll type what I want and you do the same. You think S2 had redeeming qualities; I happen to think it's ****. The overwhelming majority are with me.

Man you are one angry sounding dude. :laugh:

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Where did he say anything about "redeeming qualities"? You started to lecture us about stopping to "defend it in any way".
But sorry that we - unlike you - didn't hate everything about it.

@Kyle,

don't expect it to be anywhere close to the outstanding season 1. Still, there are some pretty good parts about it that are worth watching.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I still have not seen season 2 yet (due to a large backlog of other shows) S1 to me was near perfect and from the sounds of it I should probably avoid S2. What do you all think, watch it or not? For those of you who absolutely loved the first season, did it taint your opinion on the show as a whole after seeing season 2?

In my eyes True Detective is that perfect first season as that is all I have seen so it's honestly still up there as one of my favourite shows.

Avoid it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Absolutely not. Season 1 is Season 1 and Season 2 is Season 2. It's not like they're carrying the storyline from Season 1 over as Season 2 is a new story, new cast and new characters. On top of that Season 2 is still good. I think there is one major difference between the two seasons that could have helped Season 2:

[spoil]The "killer" in Season 2 is built up to be someone, or perhaps something, it's not. It doesn't ruin the season at all, but it's not as "out there" as Season 1 in that regard.[/spoil]

What Season 2 has going for it are some good characters, good performances, an interesting storyline (thought not as interesting as Season 1's), some amazing cinematography of an interesting setting (unless perhaps you live in California) and some really good episodes. I will say it rollercoasters a bit in terms of the episodes and I'd like to see some things done differently, but I say that about just about everything.

I guess it's like a band you like. Their first album is amazing, but their second album isn't up to that standard despite still being good worth listening to.

Watch Season 2 first, then watch Season 1 after.

Problems solved.

Butthurts medicated.

That works. No need to watch them in order.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Re-watched season 1, still incredible.

Season 2 is still a decent show, but because it is compared to season 1 it isn't nearly as well regarded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->