TV: True Detective (Part IV)

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Some day Hollywood will get old white guy makeup right, but they're clearly not there yet. Present-day Steven Dorff looked like a cross between old Biff from Back to the Future and Brad Pitt's Benjamin Button.

This season was just okay. A lot of promise, but really ran out of steam at the end. It happens.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
The scene in the last episode where old Hays has the vision of his wife really did not sit well with me. Her heavy-handed exposition overexplained something that could have been merely suggested with a few images through flashback.

I was groaning throughout.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and Zeppo

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Not sure about that. She knew something because she made the phone call.

That's what I thought, but then I lost myself in the timeline and wondered if that was even REALLY her. I know the ID'd her prints and image, but can't recall if they verified that it was truly her who made the call.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Not sure about that. She knew something because she made the phone call.
That phone call was in 1990 though, not 2005 like when old Hayes saw her. They were ambiguous about how much she knew, but that wasn't the point. The point was that she had gotten her life together, finally found happiness, and had moved past all the f***ed up shit that happened to her in her life. It doesn't matter if she knows the whole story or not, that isn't what was most important.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think Hoyt knew everything.
Hoyt knew basically everything, at least up until she escaped. He hired staff to help raise her and segmented off part of his house to the rest of the staff. His company gave the Purcell mother money. He tasked Harris James to kill her (and likely her brother as well) when she asked for more.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hoyt knew basically everything, at least up until she escaped. He hired staff to help raise her and segmented off part of his house to the rest of the staff. His company gave the Purcell mother money. He tasked Harris James to kill her (and likely her brother as well) when she asked for more.

Yup.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hoyt was also negotiating the deal to essentially buy her in the first place. So while he didn't cause the death of the boy and the kidnapping of Julie, he was definitely in on the whole thing.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Some day Hollywood will get old white guy makeup right, but they're clearly not there yet. Present-day Steven Dorff looked like a cross between old Biff from Back to the Future and Brad Pitt's Benjamin Button.

This season was just okay. A lot of promise, but really ran out of steam at the end. It happens.

It was pretty weird how young Steven Dorff looked like Dennis Quaid and old Steven Dorff looked like Steve Dorff in an old man disguise

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
That phone call was in 1990 though, not 2005 like when old Hayes saw her. They were ambiguous about how much she knew, but that wasn't the point. The point was that she had gotten her life together, finally found happiness, and had moved past all the ****ed up **** that happened to her in her life. It doesn't matter if she knows the whole story or not, that isn't what was most important.

I know when the call was. My point was if she actually made the call she had to know some details of her past. Obviously, she had moved on with her life or blocked out negative memories. We don't know - maybe it haunts her. We only experienced a few minutes with her and seemed happy. Not at all concerned some strange guy approached her and her daughter.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Boring season to me. But I also loved Season 2, so I know that's not a popular opinion. Holy crap did we go a long way just for the guy to confess and spill the beans willingly. God that was painful.

Season 1>>>Season 2>>Season 3.

Still looking forward to whatever happens next.

Olvast

Sep 12, 2011
I know when the call was. My point was if she actually made the call she had to know some details of her past. Obviously, she had moved on with her life or blocked out negative memories. We don't know - maybe it haunts her. We only experienced a few minutes with her and seemed happy. Not at all concerned some strange guy approached her and her daughter.

She did name her daughter Lucy after her mother, so I guess she knew something at least.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
The season was ok. Obviously well below season 1 and I personally enjoyed season 2 more than this one.

There wasn't a whole lot of suspense this season and I didn't find the story that interesting or compelling.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The first couple of episodes were great, but from there it really struggled to hold my interest

And while I didn't mind the finale, I didn't feel as though the payoff was there given the time invested, so I was left feeling unsatisfied

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The first couple of episodes were great, but from there it really struggled to hold my interest

And while I didn't mind the finale, I didn't feel as though the payoff was there given the time invested, so I was left feeling unsatisfied

Satisfying payoffs are so difficult and becoming more of a rarity these days, so I'm willing to give the show a pass for that. Hell, Season 1's payoff wasn't that great. In the end it's about the respective journeys of these characters more than the whodunnit, and in that regard I think Season 3 was a success.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Finished it the other day, thought it was pretty good, not close to season 1 but I liked it a good bit better then season 2. I wasn't even going to watch because season 2 sucked so badly that I figured it would be more of the same but finally gave in and was surprised at how much it felt like season 1 compared to how season 2 was more of a cluster f***. Wonder if there will be a season 4?

Reactions: Gains
Feb 24, 2017
Nobody is going to ever let any season ever be better than season 1, no matter the quality of season 1 or what it’s up against.

Season 1 had the big glamour of “legit cool” Hollywood stars Matthew M. and Woody H., and a naked Alexandra Daddorio.

Tough act to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad