TV: True Detective (Part IV)

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Still great episodes. The story could go any numbers of ways. Anyone know how many episodes there are this season?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Just got through two episodes of Season 3 and it's very good so far. I thought Season 2 was a complicated disaster, too many characters and nonsense crammed into a few episodes. Ultimately I didn't care about any of them as there was so little depth.

Season 1 had the acting, script and cinematography of a great show. I did not care of the ending but it's possible nothing would live up to the hype and buzz created.

This season even with the time jumps is clear and focused. I like the characters and hopefully it ends well.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The aging of Mahershala is some of the best aging I've ever seen on TV, looks completely real.

Yeah it's amazing like he is going to be our next Morgan Freeman. Dorf is actually the correct age in the middle timeline. The scene in the VFW bar in episode 4 is classic.

"mother******, give me two fingers of Southern Comfort."

The last thing I recall seeing Dorf in is Blade. He has an extensive acting career but nothing else I remember him from.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Yeah it's amazing like he is going to be our next Morgan Freeman. Dorf is actually the correct age in the middle timeline. The scene in the VFW bar in episode 4 is classic.

"mother******, give me two fingers of Southern Comfort."

The last thing I recall seeing Dorf in is Blade. He has an extensive acting career but nothing else I remember him from.
Dorff has been really good, I just watched episode 5 on my lunch break (they released it early because of Super Bowl) and he was phenomenal in it.

Really liking this season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Love the cast/characters and the feel of this season but I have a strong feeling I’m going to be let down by the conclusion (ala season 1). Hope I’m wrong.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Love the cast/characters and the feel of this season but I have a strong feeling I’m going to be let down by the conclusion (ala season 1). Hope I’m wrong.

I'm kind of getting similar vibes and expectations.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I was very impressed with the first 2 episodes, but those were primarily focused on the crime and the police work that followed

Episodes 3 - 5 haven't been nearly as interesting

Too much focus has been on his marital issues, something, quite frankly, I have zero interest in

Also, the main character Hays isn't particularly likeable, so I find myself waiting for the story to advance rather than enjoying his scenes

Without Dorff killing it as Roland, it's possible I may have tapped out by now like I did with Season 2

And it needs to be said again, Hays' wife is just too damn sexy and takes away all sense of realism when she's on screen

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Can someone explain why Mahershala was shocked with his wife’s book saying something about ‘kids should laugh or have fun’?

He then compared it to the poster saying the same thing.

I get that it’s the same saying but what is the big deal of it?

Thanks

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That shootout was pretty crazy.

I agree that there is a bit too much on the relationship between Hayes and his wife, neither are overly likeable characters.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It has to be someone who was at that press conference . The phone call , “the man on TV”

But she also said "the man claiming to be my father" or something to that effect, so she was speaking specifically about the guy we know as her dad

Otherwise, the guy who kidnapped her has been playing father to her all these years and was also at the press conference

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
That shootout was pretty crazy.

I agree that there is a bit too much on the relationship between Hayes and his wife, neither are overly likeable characters.

I agree, although they are compelling. I think the fact Amelia is dead in the present day timeline means she is going to be eventually implicated in some way. I think Hays has her pegged correct: she’s a user.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So I rewatched that last part of episode five with subtitles as I couldn't make out everything they were saying. A few things of note:

• Dan O' Brien, the uncle to the Purcell children, was found in a drained quarry in Southern Missouri.
  • Hays references Harris James who was the lead officer at the crime scene and says that "they're on to something." The interviewer said he was dead and how a lot of people who were involved in the case turned up dead. Anyway, as the conversation goes on and Hays is talking about Lucy Purcell writing the note, West replies saying "we already knew she had some connection to the guy whose name you just said." Well obviously she had a connection to O' Brien, he was her brother. So he must be saying she had some connection to Harris James. So Harris James probably planted the backpack and clothing at Woodard's for her, or for someone else who is doing it for her.
  • Hays also tells West "he came to see me." He also says "Hoyt". Not sure who he's referring to. Going back I can see a character who was "Hoyt Foods Manager". Not sure if he's referencing him or Harris James. I think it's the latter because he says that he "knew what they did" but that he was in the dark on some things.
  • "What they did" I'm assuming means what they did to that early suspect who was a pedophile or something.
  • Another point of note is that the unknown fingerprints from the 1980 file went missing by the 90s, so somebody internal must have taken them. Harris James? Or someone else perhaps.

I have a theory or two, but what we do know is that there is an element of "an inside job" as with the other seasons. Of the two theories I have, this could be a bit of a surprise.

And did I miss something, or is the trailer for episode six non-existent?

Can someone explain why Mahershala was shocked with his wife’s book saying something about ‘kids should laugh or have fun’?

He then compared it to the poster saying the same thing.

I get that it’s the same saying but what is the big deal of it?

Thanks

He never read his wife's book and didn't know the details of what the mom said in that conversation.

Yes. He noticed that the note was the same thing that the mother of the two children, Lucy Purcell, said to Amelia (Hays' wife) when she interviewed her for her book. So the big deal is that the mother know the daughter was still alive and she herself possibly/probably wrote that note.

But she also said "the man claiming to be my father" or something to that effect, so she was speaking specifically about the guy we know as her dad

Otherwise, the guy who kidnapped her has been playing father to her all these years and was also at the press conference

Yeah, I think she was simply referring to Tom Purcell and not anyone else.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wonder if the guy running for attorney general is involved, perhaps needing a high profile case for which he could use as a platform for election

Admittedly, it's a weak theory, and not particularly well thought out, but it's perhaps worth looking into

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So I'm going to follow that up:

• The DA, Kindt, looked happy to keep the focus on Woodard at the press conference. He also gives that glance to the officer in the background when the Woodard issue comes up.
  • I'm still not entirely sure who Julie is referring to in her call. I'm guessing it's the DA or someone I won't say.
  • Hoyt is the owner of the plant where Lucie Purcell worked and of course we know she was sleeping around. Sleeping with "Hoyt" himself, the owner? A man with money and thus connections to help cover things up?
  • Julie says "he took me". Kindt? Or is Tom Purcell somehow complicit now? Or is it someone I won't name?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
What was the significance of what Hays saw in the Walmart video? What did he see Julie doing? Not sure if I missed what was going on there or if it hasn't been revealed, or what...

Olvast

Sep 12, 2011
I have really liked the last couple of episodes. Took some time to get going, but the story is an interesting one for sure.

So - when Hays hallucinated the vietnamese soldiers, there was a suited white guy amongst the crowd. Can’t help thinking that these were ghosts of people Hays had killed in his life. So the suited ghost would probably be the one they’re referring to when Hays tells Roland ”he knows what we did”. Simplest guess would be this Harris James, whom they ended up offing for one reason or another?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
What was the significance of what Hays saw in the Walmart video? What did he see Julie doing? Not sure if I missed what was going on there or if it hasn't been revealed, or what...

My guess is that it was just the way she looked into the camera (along with her age everything else).

I have really liked the last couple of episodes. Took some time to get going, but the story is an interesting one for sure.

So - when Hays hallucinated the vietnamese soldiers, there was a suited white guy amongst the crowd. Can’t help thinking that these were ghosts of people Hays had killed in his life. So the suited ghost would probably be the one they’re referring to when Hays tells Roland ”he knows what we did”. Simplest guess would be this Harris James, whom they ended up offing for one reason or another?

I recall the scene, but what episode was it in? Last night?

Could be, can't recall the character, but Harris James was in last night's episode. And yes, I think the ghosts were definitely meant to be his victims.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Have we all forgotten in the first episode that Tom Purcell's parents said that his wife was running around on him and that everyone believes Lucy isn't his? That plus the note basically says to me right away that whoever took her believes himself to be her real father.

Reactions: Jovavic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->