News Article: Troy Mann relieved of duties.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Strange reasoning to think it came from elsewhere. Wouldn't that be the reason it did come from the sens..
Well, I think that clearly, as you start connecting the dots, there were issues leading up to this. I think the "final straw", may have been disclosed from the source, another GM or AGM from another team in speaking with Dorion. Just a theory. I personally think Papa Bowness tipped Ryan off

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
- seems like there was a power struggle happening in management. Dorion feels threatened.

- from the outside, Dorion randomly fires a very well liked person not only among the staff and players, but also the fans. everyone is left scratching their head and wondering wtf is happening in management.

- Dorion leaks that Mann was leaking teams scouting info to take the heat off himself. justifying the firing to the outside world.

seems to make a lot of sense.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
- seems like there was a power struggle happening in management. Dorion feels threatened.

- from the outside, Dorion randomly fires a very well liked person not only among the staff and players, but also the fans. everyone is left scratching their head and wondering wtf is happening in management.

- Dorion leaks that Mann was leaking teams scouting info to take the heat off himself. justifying the firing to the outside world.

It sure does...if you're sporting a fancy tin foil hat

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It sure does...if you're sporting a fancy tin foil hat

do you know what is happening? the team is being sold. no one is guaranteed a job next year. everything is in flux and everyone is posturing for their future.

where do you see the need for a tin foil hat? be specific.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dude you really need to take a breather from this.... it's not healthy

Not until we are in last place and there’s a tarp over half the arena and the best reason the organization can give you to drive out to the arena is they have new hot-dog meat

Why is no one else in media also saying the same allegation she made?

Hell, why didn't the Sens organization address what was said in the tweet?

You're one one who seems obsessed here. I doubt anyone in this forum cared about whoever was or is the TSN reporter for Ottawa.

So are you saying the rest of the Ottawa media is doing bad job compared to Hanna? Or that Hanna has done a bad job by sourcing a reason for the firing the rest of the media is doing a good job not being able to give the fans a reason for the firing?

I can’t make sense of that you’re sayin

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

He could have fired the guy and said it was performance based, pointed to the fact the BSens are near the bottom of the AHL standings and called it a day. There's literally no reason to make up such an outlandish, and easily disprovable, reason just for fun.

Also, why would Dorion feel his position is threatened by the coach of the AHL team???? You're so in the weeds on this guy you've actually lost your tether to reality.

Reactions: aragorn

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He could have fired the guy and said it was performance based, pointed to the fact the BSens are near the bottom of the AHL standings and called it a day. There's literally no reason to make up such an outlandish, and easily disprovable, reason just for fun.

Also, why would Dorion feel his position is threatened by the coach of the AHL team???? You're so in the weeds on this guy you've actually lost your tether to reality.

his brother is the agm and everyone is literally about to be fired unless they can prove otherwise. clearly they weren't seeing eye to eye, so mann undermines dorion when new ownership comes in and does evaluations, maybe in a month or two. convenient abrupt firing that no one saw coming.

whose hockey vision and understanding do you believe in more, Mann or Dorions? whose would new ownership believe in more? dorion is fighting for his career and is desperate. it is just the person he has shown to be.

and maybe the rumour is true, some part of it. so dorion has nothing to lose by releasing it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If the Sens weren't Hanna's source, then I would wonder why she went ahead so quickly with that tweet without getting a secondary source within the organization. That feels like a rookie mistake for a reporter...not something someone who has her resume would likely make.

The whole thing is perplexing. There's definitely a piece of the puzzle missing somewhere.
Where Hanna got it from adds some uncertainty, but the initial leak logically could only come from the team if true, no?
Obviously not.

There are often lots of people within earshot when arguments take place, we shouldn’t assume that all discussions happens in a sound proof office alone. If this relationship had be deteriorating for a while now, there would be dozens of people in the know from trainers to players to agents, random staff, etc…

That is also not to mention the people Mann was potentially talking to who saw him get fired and perhaps offered their opinions ‘off the record’ to Hanna. Could also be any number of people from the AHL staff that overheard discussions/argument.

The last people I would suspect of leaking info would be Dorion or Bowness, there simply isn’t any reason for it. The club’s official stance is more than good enough explanation for firing an AHL coach. There really isn’t anything to talk about without the Hanna tweet, so why would they do that?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
his brother is the agm and everyone is literally about to be fired unless they can prove otherwise. clearly they weren't seeing eye to eye, so mann undermines dorion when new ownership comes in and does evaluations, maybe in a month or two. convenient abrupt firing that no one saw coming.

whose hockey vision and understanding do you believe in more, Mann or Dorions? whose would new ownership believe in more? dorion is fighting for his career and is desperate. it is just the person he has shown to be.

and maybe the rumour is true, some part of it. so dorion has nothing to lose by releasing it.
I honestly can't understand what the f*** you're saying here. How exactly does Troy undermine Dorion? Why is Dorion involved at all apart from supporting Bowness' decision, the guy who's the GM of Belleville?

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Think it's much, much, much more likely the verbiage "giving away pre-scouting material" has a much more liberal meaning than what it is made to sound like
Yeah, my thought was that bit was perhaps lost in translation a bit...

There's some ambiguity there as well,
Obviously not.

There are often lots of people within earshot when arguments take place, we shouldn’t assume that all discussions happens in a sound proof office alone. If this relationship had be deteriorating for a while now, there would be dozens of people in the know from trainers to players to agents, random staff, etc…
Agents would be in the know of what the team considered the final straw? Seems far fetched,

That is also not to mention the people Mann was potentially talking to who saw him get fired and perhaps offered their opinions ‘off the record’ to Hanna. Could also be any number of people from the AHL staff that overheard discussions/argument.
The people who saw him get fired would be the team, not random bystanders...

And again, the leak speaks to what the team felt was the final straw, that's internal deliberation, not something outsiders would know unless the team is sharing it.
The last people I would suspect of leaking info would be Dorion or Bowness, there simply isn’t any reason for it. The club’s official stance is more than good enough explanation for firing an AHL coach. There really isn’t anything to talk about without the Hanna tweet, so why would they do that?
Motivation is tough to pin down for anyone, why would external sources leak it (assuming they somehow were to get info relating to internal deliberation other than from the team in the first place) That's the part that doesn't make sense on any level.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I don't care to speculate about what actually happened, but I will say that Trent is obviously privy to whatever is happening, and with all of the shenanigans he has witnessed over the years I can't seem him sticking around if he felt his brother was unjustifiably on the receiving end of more of the same.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, my thought was that bit was perhaps lost in translation a bit...

There's some ambiguity there as well,

Agents would be in the know of what the team considered the final straw? Seems far fetched,

The people who saw him get fired would be the team, not random bystanders...

And again, the leak speaks to what the team felt was the final straw, that's internal deliberation, not something outsiders would know unless the team is sharing it.

Motivation is tough to pin down for anyone, why would external sources leak it (assuming they somehow were to get info relating to internal deliberation other than from the team in the first place) That's the part that doesn't make sense on any level.
Not really far fetched because players talk to their agents, and players could have been around when disagreements were occurring.

I didn’t say saw him fired, I said witnessed or overheard disagreements and arguments. I also listed jobs that would be related to a level of access, not ‘random bystanders’.

I was assuming that when you say from ‘the team’ you meant directly from management, though if you mean simply someone with ties to the team sharing info of their own volition, then I agree that there are many sources in and around the squad that could have shared info.

The final straw comment was a speculative comment and isn’t something I’d be trying to hang my hat on. It’s as easy as thinking the last thing you saw or were aware of before the guy was fired seemed like the ‘last straw’. There is no reason to assume that management had to be the ones to say ‘last straw’, as though it was some sort of fact.

The tweet doesn’t make any of these assumption.

One thing seems clear, this was an ongoing disagreement between Troy and Ryan.

External sources leak things all the time, sometimes because people like to give tidbits to reporters, or like being an anonymous inside source. She may simply have asked someone that she knows who was willing to speak off the record to her.

Way too many avenues available to assume it was from what to me is the party with the least to gain from controversy being leaked.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He doesn't know anymore than what has been reported and he knows nothing about what Hanna reported
Not quite the insider everybody thinks he is, he does get some scoops because he has been around a long time & the team management use him some times when it benefits them. He's just another beat reporter.

I imagine we'll get some info, but I don't see how anyone in Ottawa would know directly given Troy Mann works in Belleville unless management told them directly. I agree & think he was doing something he shouldn't like "giving away pre-scouting material" which IMO is a firing offence. Maybe he was looking to get fired instead of quitting, who knows?

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I never saw that Troy began the process to defend himself Tuesday, never heard that in the podcast. I guess he and his camp will be fighting those allegations, which seemed iffy from the get go after looking at it. More to come it would seem.

“17. There is word former Belleville head coach Troy Mann began the process Tuesday of defending himself against allegations of impropriety.”

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't care to speculate about what actually happened, but I will say that Trent is obviously privy to whatever is happening, and with all of the shenanigans he has witnessed over the years I can't seem him sticking around if he felt his brother was unjustifiably on the receiving end of more of the same.

He might be doing that right now.

I don't know about the NHL inner workings in management, but I do know there's a hell of a lot of 'old boys club' in it. He's got to get his ducks in a row and make sure he isn't stepping on the wrong toes before making a move.

And there's a chance he's using the time before new owners come in to either solidify his place with Ottawa, or building up that resume/connections to the rest of the league. Or maybe he has talked to some potential owners and thinks he has a good shot at sticking around and is keeping his head down.

Or hell, maybe the real friction in the organization were the two brothers. Being blood doesn't necessarily mean you get along or are always on the same page.

The more we all mull this over, the more possibilities emerge here.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Finally getting closer to games. This ridiculous AHL drama is killing me!

Lol, it really goes to show how desperate we all are for hockey topics to discuss….

Reactions: slamigo

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I'd like to believe that too but the reality is Trent is about 2 months away from a really nice severance package so he has a couple hundred thousand reasons to bite his tongue, if in fact he felt Troy was done wrong.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'd like to believe that too but the reality is Trent is about 2 months away from a really nice severance package so he has a couple hundred thousand reasons to bite his tongue, if in fact he felt Troy was done wrong.
My guess is Trent Mann already has a job lined up with another organization - like when everyone was feeling Ottawa and we lost our head of scouting to Vegas, these guys are all looking My guess is Trent Mann already has a job lined up with another organization - like when everyone was feeling Ottawa and we lost our head of scouting to Vegas, these guys are all looking for better opportunity with more security.

Trent Mann would be a huge lose for the team. As far as organizational strategy if they lose Trent because of how they treated Troy with 20 AHL games left and a chance to clean house after the season with legit excuses from new ownership - pretty bad.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
My guess is Trent Mann already has a job lined up with another organization - like when everyone was feeling Ottawa and we lost our head of scouting to Vegas, these guys are all looking My guess is Trent Mann already has a job lined up with another organization - like when everyone was feeling Ottawa and we lost our head of scouting to Vegas, these guys are all looking for better opportunity with more security.

Trent Mann would be a huge lose for the team. As far as organizational strategy if they lose Trent because of how they treated Troy with 20 AHL games left and a chance to clean house after the season with legit excuses from new ownership - pretty bad.
My guess is Trent would like to stay and play a role within a re-invigorated structure and experience the fresh energy new ownership will bring while being the guy who gets to see through the unfinished business and who's notes from yesterday are valued.

Just as plausible, if not more.

And aren't you one to crap on our drafting record? Hard to say "Trent Mann would be a huge lose for the team" when consensus around here is that we are a below average drafting team.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I honestly can't understand what the f*** you're saying here. How exactly does Troy undermine Dorion? Why is Dorion involved at all apart from supporting Bowness' decision, the guy who's the GM of Belleville?

because Armageddon is coming and no one knows if they will have jobs next year. and they literally admitted that Troy and Ottawa management weren't on the same page, that's the reason they gave for the firing. what do you think happens when new ownership comes in? you think Mann is going to talk positively about Dorion and insist that he be kept on? my guess its the opposite AKA undermine Dorions chances of staying on with the new ownership.

Dorion is actually Bowness boss. It might have been Dorion who made the decision or Bowness, we don't know. Either way you don't think Dorion has a say if Troy gets fired?

Self preservation is basic human nature. And I doubt anyone in the league is clamoring for Dorions services. His best chance is to convince the new ownership to stay on, maybe as AGM or player development or head scout. Something like that is easier to do when you do not have a vocal critic on your staff.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
because Armageddon is coming and no one knows if they will have jobs next year. and they literally admitted that Troy and Ottawa management weren't on the same page, that's the reason they gave for the firing. what do you think happens when new ownership comes in? you think Mann is going to talk positively about Dorion and insist that he be kept on? my guess its the opposite AKA undermine Dorions chances of staying on with the new ownership.

Dorion is actually Bowness boss. It might have been Dorion who made the decision or Bowness, we don't know. Either way you don't think Dorion has a say if Troy gets fired?

Self preservation is basic human nature. And I doubt anyone in the league is clamoring for Dorions services. His best chance is to convince the new ownership to stay on, maybe as AGM or player development or head scout. Something like that is easier to do when you do not have a vocal critic on your staff.
You think new ownership is going to come in and talk to the former minor league coach to make an assessment of the organization? What reality do you live in lol?

• Haha
Reactions: Samsquanch

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland