News Article: Troy Mann relieved of duties.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It is the view of many… definitely a good coach. It is why he had the job for so long.

Never heard anyone report he was a bad coach. He wasn’t fired for being a bad coach.

I did hear he went a little rogue though…. 🤣

The only thing this story is missing is a video of Troy Mann waiting for a taxi outside of the arena he was fired at.

why can’t the relationship between Dorion and lots of people go well? Pierre Mcquire, Alfie, Troy Mann - lots of people have left the organization.

I know we are trying to paint Mann as rogue with this secret life behind the scenes - Troy Mann is a super well respected hockey coach with tons of contacts in the AHL and NHL, I can only imagine working as a coach under Pierre Dorion to be extremely frustrating, but if the story comes out I’m betting whatever Troy Mann did to get fired won’t be equal to the damage Dorion has done with the damage to Troy Mann reputation. (And to be honest the damage to Pierre Dorion’s own reputation as well)

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
The only thing this story is missing is a video of Troy Mann waiting for a taxi outside of the arena he was fired at.

why can’t the relationship between Dorion and lots of people go well? Pierre Mcquire, Alfie, Troy Mann - lots of people have left the organization.

I know we are trying to paint Mann as rogue with this secret life behind the scenes - Troy Mann is a super well respected hockey coach with tons of contacts in the AHL and NHL, I can only imagine working as a coach under Pierre Dorion to be extremely frustrating, but if the story comes out I’m betting whatever Troy Mann did to get fired won’t be equal to the damage Dorion has done with the damage to Troy Mann reputation. (And to be honest the damage to Pierre Dorion’s own reputation as well)
Troy took the bus.

PD and Alfie are besties.

Let's see where Troy ends up. Hopefully he lands on his feet. It is all for the best. The team needs a seasoned coach after DJ. NOT another junior.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Troy took the bus.

PD and Alfie are besties.

Let's see where Troy ends up. Hopefully he lands on his feet. It is all for the best. The team needs a seasoned coach after DJ. NOT another junior.

Barry Trotz is perfect for this team. Maybe Ryan Reynolds can talk these big names coaches into making Ottawa their home.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Pretty sure RR will do the same as he did with WFC and let professionals make those decisions.

But a call wouldn’t hurt. I mean who doesn’t want a call form Deadpoll saying you’re the coach who can win him a Stanley Cup.?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
If the salacious accusation against Mann is true, i would expect he would be fired for cause with no severance and never rehired , no?

If that doesnt happen then, sure its just the firing of an ahl coach, and maybe there were reasons for it, but then it would seem more likely this was another NHL team smear of a player leaving to make themselves the good guy.

And we see this all the time when players leave. Teams or agents leak something that will make it look like they did everything but it was the other guys fault. If this story just dies out, no lawsuits, he still gets hired, im going to assume that story may have had an element of truth to it but was largely planted and misleading for narrative purposes.

I was kind of surprised, ok not surprised, when claire and bruce were doing an intermission and never mentioned it. What to make of that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the salacious accusation against Mann is true, i would expect he would be fired for cause with no severance and never rehired , no?

Not that I really buy the leaked prescouting rumour, but What would you expect if the team suspected the allegations were true but couldn't prove it?

Do they keep him around till they have rock solid proof and can fire with cause or do they move on quickly but without making a stink for fear of litigation and try to prevent any further damage?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
But why is it always everyone else’s fault - why is to EK’s fault, why was it Dave a Cameron’s fault, why was it Alfie’s fault, why is it Claire Hanna’s fault?

Why isn’t ever the GM’s fault for having a stank diaper on for 5 years and no one asks if it’s time for a diaper change?

Dorion is out of his league as a GM, he can’t even fire an AHL coach without it blowing up in his face. I could fire Troy Mann and people would think I’m a good guy and Troy Mann an even better person - not the team is getting sued.

It’s incompetence Compounded by stupidly with an coating of immaturity
The real story. Always drama in some form under this regime.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Not that I really buy the leaked prescouting rumour, but What would you expect if the team suspected the allegations were true but couldn't prove it?

Do they keep him around till they have rock solid proof and can fire with cause or do they move on quickly but without making a stink for fear of litigation and try to prevent any further damage?

Well if i was their lawyer, i might suggest keeping it to themselves and not leaking it until you have proof lest you get sued.

But its such a big matzah ball to leave out there. It's probably something relatively insignificant or they wouldnt be trying to slander from the peanut gallery

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well if i was their lawyer, i might suggest keeping it to themselves and not leaking it until you have proof lest you get sued.

But its such a big matzah ball to leave out there. It's probably something relatively insignificant or they wouldnt be trying to slander from the peanut gallery
What slander from the peanut gallery though?

There's no upside to telling Hanna he leaked confidential information.

Bowness held a press conference. He laid out why they did what they did. There's likely never to be any further comms from the team on the matter

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
What slander from the peanut gallery though?

There's no upside to telling Hanna he leaked confidential information.

Bowness held a press conference. He laid out why they did what they did. There's likely never to be any further comms from the team on the matter
I'm assuming this leak had to come from the team. If it didnt, then im sure Hanna would have at least tried to confirm it with the team. If the team was upset that this false info got out, they would have surely asked her to retract it and im guessing Hanna would have told us that.

This is a pattern teams and players thru their agents do. They give out a calm, reasoned, explanation publicly, and then leak a salacious rumour, which doesnt get followed up on, anonymously. This is my default conspiracy suspicion now. Seems a simple statement to make to clear it up. But there doesnt appear to be any interest in doing that. Maybe once there are no more outstanding contractual obligations, an anonymous clarification will be leaked. You know, the way honorable people do it.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I'm assuming this leak had to come from the team. If it didnt, then im sure Hanna would have at least tried to confirm it with the team. If the team was upset that this false info got out, they would have surely asked her to retract it and im guessing Hanna would have told us that.

This is a pattern teams and players thru their agents do. They give out a calm, reasoned, explanation publicly, and then leak a salacious rumour, which doesnt get followed up on, anonymously. This is my default conspiracy suspicion now. Seems a simple statement to make to clear it up. But there doesnt appear to be any interest in doing that. Maybe once there are no more outstanding contractual obligations, an anonymous clarification will be leaked. You know, the way honorable people do it.
No statements required. Nothing has been said other than a few tweets. Life goes on.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

If that doesnt happen then, sure its just the firing of an ahl coach, and maybe there were reasons for it, but then it would seem more likely this was another NHL team smear of a player leaving to make themselves the good guy.

And we see this all the time when players leave. Teams or agents leak something that will make it look like they did everything but it was the other guys fault. If this story just dies out, no lawsuits, he still gets hired, im going to assume that story may have had an element of truth to it but was largely planted and misleading for narrative purposes.

I was kind of surprised, ok not surprised, when claire and bruce were doing an intermission and never mentioned it. What to make of that.
What to make of that?

Well, both work for TSN and presumably still want to work for TSN in the future.

Claire has probably been muzzled and Bruce was strongly advised not to raise the issue.

Reactions: DrEasy

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
What to make of that?

Well, both work for TSN and presumably still want to work for TSN in the future.

Claire has probably been muzzled and Bruce was strongly advised not to raise the issue.
Well maybe. But in who's interest would that be done? TSN protecting itself after such a juicy story given exclusively to one of its reporters? One that would surely generate clicks? Protecting the team from having to admit the leaked rumour? Muzzling the reporter to protect her? Not sure its an action that puts the issue to rest, for me anyway.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Everyone is going to just ignore the Claire Hanna tweet unless Troy Mann comes out swinging with a lawyer. Nobody else will fan those flames. I think all the local TSN Bell Media peeps are just pretending it didn't happen.

And really, who cares? I would have to explain to most people who Troy Mann was if I wanted to talk to anyone about this. It's fodder for this forum and that's about it.

I am willing to ignore it as well and hope that he lands on his feet somewhere else and that we'll get new ownership that clean house soon. I'm actually using this as another reason to get excited about new ownership. Turn the page. All this ugliness will be over soon.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Everyone is going to just ignore the Claire Hanna tweet unless Troy Mann comes out swinging with a lawyer. Nobody else will fan those flames. I think all the local TSN Bell Media peeps are just pretending it didn't happen.

And really, who cares? I would have to explain to most people who Troy Mann was if I wanted to talk to anyone about this. It's fodder for this forum and that's about it.

I am willing to ignore it as well and hope that he lands on his feet somewhere else and that we'll get new ownership that clean house soon. I'm actually using this as another reason to get excited about new ownership. Turn the page. All this ugliness will be over soon.
He began that process Tuesday

17. There is word former Belleville head coach Troy Mann began the process Tuesday of defending himself against allegations of impropriety.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

So what's your take on how the team benefits from Mann being tagged with having leaked information?

There's got to be some upside for the team in applying that label else why do it?

This is professional hockey. There's no "just cause" legal bullshit needed to fire him. Fire him. Pay out his contract. There's no recourse for Mann.

So if you don't need cause to fire, what value is there in the team creating this scenario? If you can credibly answer that, then maybe there's some teeth to your conspiracy theory

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

agree with this on theory… but they Did make a big stink, there is litigation threats and Dorian hurt his and Manns reputation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
agree with this on theory… but they Did make a big stink, there is litigation threats and Dorian hurt his and Manns reputation.
There are? Who's being sued because the team hasn't made any public disclosure of the allegations, and Hanna still has the tweets up, there's certainly speculation of potential litigation but you're jumping to conclusions that Dorion hurt Mann's reputation, we don't know who the leak came from,

Just as an hypothetical example, it's possible the team heard rumour Mann was leaking prescout info by another teams coach tiping off DJ or Capuano, who passed it on to Dorion. When Dorion relieved Mann with no mention of the accusations, someone from a frustrated coach with the Sens who felt betrayed leaked it to Hanna, perhaps the video guy, who knows

In this situation, the leak is coming from the team, but not management. The source would be solid enough for Hanna to run with it but not tied to Dorion or Bowness', who tried to keep things on the down low.

Reactions: Cosmix

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
There are? Who's being sued because the team hasn't made any public disclosure of the allegations, and Hanna still has the tweets up, there's certainly speculation of potential litigation but you're jumping to conclusions that Dorion hurt Mann's reputation, we don't know who the leak came from,

Just as an hypothetical example, it's possible the team heard rumour Mann was leaking prescout info by another teams coach tiping off DJ or Capuano, who passed it on to Dorion. When Dorion relieved Mann with no mention of the accusations, someone from a frustrated coach with the Sens who felt betrayed leaked it to Hanna, perhaps the video guy, who knows

In this situation, the leak is coming from the team, but not management. The source would be solid enough for Hanna to run with it but not tied to Dorion or Bowness', who tried to keep things on the down low.

Maybe, who knows, but what I’d say to that is if a coach is getting fired and lower management is challenging the GM and leaking info to make him look bad is an example of mismanagement because your pleebs aren’t under control and don’t respect your decisions or authority.

but 2 leading media figures have said Mann is getting a lawyer, Hanna has left the tweet there which means she stands by it and the sources so that’s why I say Dorion is facing legal action - because that’s what is reported.

Anyways, no matter how you look at it the Sens don’t look good coming out of this. Wasn’t handled well, and relevant an AHL coach and having it blow back on you is prime Dorion not being able to do anything right

It’s like the Hamonic trade, relatively minor transaction that you shouldn’t get any blow back for, and Dorion looks bad by admitting he overpaid the asking price by the Canucks, just stupidity and immaturity at every level

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Maybe, who knows, but what I’d say to that is if a coach is getting fired and lower management is challenging the GM and leaking info to make him look bad is an example of mismanagement because your pleebs aren’t under control and don’t respect your decisions or authority.

but 2 leading media figures have said Mann is getting a lawyer, Hanna has left the tweet there which means she stands by it and the sources so that’s why I say Dorion is facing legal action - because that’s what is reported.

Anyways, no matter how you look at it the Sens don’t look good coming out of this. Wasn’t handled well, and relevant an AHL coach and having it blow back on you is prime Dorion not being able to do anything right

It’s like the Hamonic trade, relatively minor transaction that you shouldn’t get any blow back for, and Dorion looks bad by admitting he overpaid the asking price by the Canucks, just stupidity and immaturity at every level

Again, you're jumping to conclusions. Mann getting a lawyer doesn't mean Dorion is getting sued.

Hanna has left the tweet up, but who knows what happens if she gets a nasty letter from Mann's lawyer. If she retracts it, Mann may be satisfied and we're done. Does the Dorion or the team look bad if Hanna retracts the tweet?what if the leak didn't even come from the team at all?

It's nothing like the Hamonic trade since Dorion didn't actually do anything publically to out himself, maybe he or someone under him leaked the info, maybe not, we don't know.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
So what's your take on how the team benefits from Mann being tagged with having leaked information?

There's got to be some upside for the team in applying that label else why do it?

This is professional hockey. There's no "just cause" legal bullshit needed to fire him. Fire him. Pay out his contract. There's no recourse for Mann.

So if you don't need cause to fire, what value is there in the team creating this scenario? If you can credibly answer that, then maybe there's some teeth to your conspiracy theory

No I agree they don’t need just cause to fire him. But if the implications behind the leaked reasoning is true then there is a chance they could get out of paying him. Maybe they are going that route.

It is hard to see how the team benefits too much here. Maybe it was just a petty argument and power struggle and the team wanted to hide that. I don’t know the details of what happened, im just left with gossip and innuendo.

Pre-scouting sounds like something you do for other teams players. Maybe another team was getting a throw in AHL’er on a trade not involving the Sens and wanted Mann’s opinion amongst many other AHL coaches. And in a pique, they called that leaking pre scouting info. Maybe it is actually true and Hanna got the info from someone close to the situation who overheard it. We don’t know. We are just left with an anonymous, unexplained rumour that no one wants to talk about. And it doesn’t seem very honorable to me to operate that way.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No statements required. Nothing has been said other than a few tweets. Life goes on.

He can't comment if he wants to continue to be paid.

If the Org had anything substantial on Troy Mann regarding the "leak" .. the "firing" would be with cause and he would likely not still be getting paid.

Either the leak came from somewhere outside the org.. at which point the "final straw" part of the quote seems out of place. If the leak came from within the org it sure seems like that a very loose definition of "pre scouting" info was being used or it was just thrown out there for gullible fans to swallow.

I doubt that the Sens ever own up to be the source. Looks like Troy will try to clear his name in this regard and I hope he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad