News Article: Troy Mann relieved of duties.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Bowness mentions cohesion of play between NHL and AhL? Does he believe that DJ will be sticking around?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Ya this is shocking. There must have been a really nasty argument to have a firing this late at night.

Sucks to lose Mann a genuine asset for this team and has done more for us development wise than a lot of AHL coaches before him. His bro will likely be following his footsteps.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm looking forward to the sports radio discussion for the next week or so about whether the Mann brothers are actually good.

Not that Troy Mann is a bad coach or anything, I think he did a lot of good for the players in Belleville and even the players who are now in the NHL but he was wildly overrated by the fan base. Have never saw him as an option for the NHL team, like many did. Wish him the best, loved how open and honest he was with his media availabilities. I just don't see this as big of a loss as most will.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I liked Troy!

Their are things he did good and bad.

Lack of development of the defense has been poor and potentially the B prospects.

I thought he would be a great assistant coach in Ottawa but hockey is results oriented business and I guess they did not like his results.

Freaking weird timing but I am sure this is just first of many surprises coming this year with coaches, management and ownership.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
This will be a shock to the whole 'Troy Mann is the next Ottawa coach' crew. He's long been overrated by people who clearly don't watch any Belleville Senators hockey.

Belleville hasn't exactly been a developmental powerhouse for us recently. Other than Batherson, Norris and I guess Nick Paul not a ton of quality has actually come up through the system, and personally I think a guy like Norris probably develops no matter who his coach was. On the flip side, how many players have stagnated down there? Plenty. That's not all on the coaching staff, but it has to be accounted for.

Results have been bad too. No playoff appearances in 5 seasons, though he was robbed of one in the COVID year. I think his systems are a little outdated for the modern game. Very passive. Team is regularly dominated territorially and has a ton of trouble generating anything at 5-on-5.

He's a good interview, but so was Kurt Kleinendorst. You have to produce.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Prevailing wisdom among enlightened Sens fans was Rick Bowness good/Dorion bad and DJ bad/ Mann good.

The Mann firing just blew a hole through that framework. How are we going square that circle? I guess Bowness now joins the ranks of the bad?

The people clamoring for changes in management assume that new the regime would somehow be more aligned with the common sense of Sens twitter or Hfboards. New management could have radically different perspective on the team. And with no history and fidelity to the current group of players, they may decide to make some significant changes to the core. Maybe flipping Chabot or Debrincat? Or trading Zub? Who knows?

Brady, Timmy and Jake are probably the only untouchables.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad