News Article: Troy Mann relieved of duties.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Again, you're jumping to conclusions. Mann getting a lawyer doesn't mean Dorion is getting sued.

Hanna has left the tweet up, but who knows what happens if she gets a nasty letter from Mann's lawyer. If she retracts it, Mann may be satisfied and we're done. Does the Dorion or the team look bad if Hanna retracts the tweet?what if the leak didn't even come from the team at all?

It's nothing like the Hamonic trade since Dorion didn't actually do anything publically to out himself, maybe he or someone under him leaked the info, maybe not, we don't know.

Dorion stood at the podium and said Van asked for a 4th and he gave a 3rd. He poured gas onto the fire no one else.

I think Dorion has been so incompetent for so long people don’t recognize the Mistakes and think there’s some sinister underbelly in the organization and fanbade that is out to I tentially make him look bad - when it’s just him being terrible at his job and some fans thinking it’s normal because they are conditioned to stupidity now

Yes, it's the fans fault that this is happening. LOL.
Rebuilds are when brother turns on brother.

Dorion has divided this fanbase to the point where some people actually think he’s a victim of his own work - it’s sad

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Why would Clare run the story unless she had primary source that she trusts? AKA someone high up from the Org.

and who is the only one who would benefit from Mann being painted in a bad light? ( even though that backfired lol)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well maybe. But in who's interest would that be done? TSN protecting itself after such a juicy story given exclusively to one of its reporters? One that would surely generate clicks? Protecting the team from having to admit the leaked rumour? Muzzling the reporter to protect her? Not sure its an action that puts the issue to rest, for me anyway.
Perhaps you should start a blog and conduct an investigation.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Dorion stood at the podium and said Van asked for a 4th and he gave a 3rd. He poured gas onto the fire no one else.
And that has nothing to do with Mann getting fired, why bring it up at all?
I think Dorion has been so incompetent for so long people don’t recognize the Mistakes and think there’s some sinister underbelly in the organization and fanbade that is out to I tentially make him look bad - when it’s just him being terrible at his job and some fans thinking it’s normal because they are conditioned to stupidity now
No, a select few are just seeing them when nothing is there, you're making up a narrative to pin it on Dorion, maybe it eventually comes out that he did handle this poorly but there isn't the info out yet to make that determination

Rebuilds are when brother turns on brother.

Dorion has divided this fanbase to the point where some people actually think he’s a victim of his own work - it’s sad
Dorion is the villain in your mind, which, fine, I want him fired too, but there's enough reasons to want him gone out there already that we don't need to make more up to justify it.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There are? Who's being sued because the team hasn't made any public disclosure of the allegations, and Hanna still has the tweets up, there's certainly speculation of potential litigation but you're jumping to conclusions that Dorion hurt Mann's reputation, we don't know who the leak came from,

Just as an hypothetical example, it's possible the team heard rumour Mann was leaking prescout info by another teams coach tiping off DJ or Capuano, who passed it on to Dorion. When Dorion relieved Mann with no mention of the accusations, someone from a frustrated coach with the Sens who felt betrayed leaked it to Hanna, perhaps the video guy, who knows

In this situation, the leak is coming from the team, but not management. The source would be solid enough for Hanna to run with it but not tied to Dorion or Bowness', who tried to keep things on the down low.
Hanna is the only person who has said the leak was the "camel's back" reason to fire Mann. No Ottawa Senator's manager, coach, scout, or other type of staff has publicly said that. So, Hanna is the one and only person responsible for this info at this time. If Mann does hire a lawyer to address this, Hanna and TSN will likely be called upon to explain and defend what she said.

I suspect she might eventually walk back what she said she heard.

Reactions: gab6511

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would Clare run the story unless she had primary source that she trusts? AKA someone high up from the Org.

and who is the only one who would benefit from Mann being painted in a bad light? ( even though that backfired lol)
I gave a hypothetical situation that isn't upper management, what if the leak came from the NHL clubs coaching staff, for example, maybe DJ, Capuano or any other mbr if the sens coaching staff saw Mann as a threat to them getting a shot as a HC next season after new ownership cleared the deck, or were just pissed that he allegedly sabotaged them and as a result affected their ability to get hired in the future?

If Mann did do what he is accused of, or rather if people in the org believe he did it, some may feel betrayed and lash out unbeknownst to management.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
And that has nothing to do with Mann getting fired, why bring it up at all?

No, a select few are just seeing them when nothing is there, you're making up a narrative to pin it on Dorion, maybe it eventually comes out that he did handle this poorly but there isn't the info out yet to make that determination

Dorion is the villain in your mind, which, fine, I want him fired too, but there's enough reasons to want him gone out there already that we don't need to make more up to justify it.

I’m just reporting on what I see and hear and I know it’s been years and years of incompetence.

The Mann / Hamonic thing is this - minor transaction for a team that the GM should be able to spend 10 minutes talking about with the media and nothing happens after that - but Dorion puts a grenade into his own work by mentioning the 3rd/4th round pick and with Mann this bizarre firing that makes everyone look bad - it’s just simple things that turn into hit potatoes for a GM that just can’t do anything right.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hanna is the only person who has said the leak was the "camel's back" reason to fire Mann. No Ottawa Senator's manager, coach, scout, or other type of staff has publicly said that. So, Hanna is the one and only person responsible for this info at this time. If Mann does hire a lawyer to address this, Hanna and TSN will likely be called upon to explain and defend what she said.

I suspect she might eventually walk back what she said she heard.

Idk how hard TSN will fight to defend its staff, Hanna may have a really solid source, but I doubt she wants to expose her source so it may be easier to walk it back even if it is true.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I gave a hypothetical situation that isn't upper management, what if the leak came from the NHL clubs coaching staff, for example, maybe DJ, Capuano or any other mbr if the sens coaching staff saw Mann as a threat to them getting a shot as a HC next season after new ownership cleared the deck, or were just pissed that he allegedly sabotaged them and as a result affected their ability to get hired in the future?

If Mann did do what he is accused of, or rather if people in the org believe he did it, some may feel betrayed and lash out unbeknownst to management.

that is a good explanation as well.

either way it makes the most sense if the leak came from someone in the Senators org and someone high enough so that Hanna would trust them and put her own reputation and career on the line.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
with Mann this bizarre firing that makes everyone look bad - it’s just simple things that turn into hit potatoes for a GM that just can’t do anything right.
Firing a coach doesn't make everyone look bad, nothing the org has done makes everyone look bad, only the tweet from Hanna does.

Coaches are hired to be fired, the sense of urgency to fire Mann now rather than wait a month and a half is unusual, but at the same time, if it later were to come out that Mann was sharing prescout reports and the team knew but did nothing, well that would certainly cast Dorion in a bad light.

You're desperately looking for reasons to blame him rather than reasons being presented to you and coming naturally to a conclusion.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
that is a good explanation as well.

either way it makes the most sense if the leak came from someone in the Senators org and someone high enough so that Hanna would trust them and put her own reputation and career on the line.
That makes the most sense to me as well, one would think the source needs to be fairly solid for her to run with it, that said, some well respected guys like Mendes essentially said they could not reliably corroborate what she claimed, not everyone has the same standard. Perhaps Hanna felt hedging with "I'm told..." was enough to put something not fully confirmed out there.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Firing a coach doesn't make everyone look bad, nothing the org has done makes everyone look bad, only the tweet from Hanna does.

Coaches are hired to be fired, the sense of urgency to fire Mann now rather than wait a month and a half is unusual, but at the same time, if it later were to come out that Mann was sharing prescout reports and the team knew but did nothing, well that would certainly cast Dorion in a bad light.

You're desperately looking for reasons to blame him rather than reasons being presented to you and coming naturally to a conclusion.

Being reasonable / you’re the one making up conspiracy theories about assistant coaches undermining the team and fantasizing about inter team dynamics and ambitions

That makes the most sense to me as well, one would think the source needs to be fairly solid for her to run with it, that said, some well respected guys like Mendes essentially said they could not reliably corroborate what she claimed, not everyone has the same standard. Perhaps Hanna felt hedging with "I'm told..." was enough to put something not fully confirmed out there.

Same standards or same sources? To suggest Mendes does media more Responsibly then Hanna is irresponsible

If Hanna source is big up management and Mendes (who has been frozen out from the team for his Melnyck death article) source is the Zamboni driver - you could see why he wouldn’t run with it

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

This is it.

This is the thing that bothers me the most about the way some posters react on here, they don't actually care about the facts because they would use either conclusion of an event to blame the same people over and over and over again. If Dorion fires Mann, he's a malicious idiot who's incompetent. If Dorion doesn't fire Mann, he's a malicious idiot who's incompetent. There's no version where he can ever be in the right about anything. These people are fuelled by fanatical hatred, there's no sense in trying to discuss any of this with them. They don't care about anything except the point they were going to make all along and the predetermined opinion they have of this person. Why do we give them so much oxygen on these boards?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This is it.

This is the thing that bothers me the most about the way some posters react on here, they don't actually care about the facts because they would use either conclusion of an event to blame the same people over and over and over again. If Dorion fires Mann, he's a malicious idiot who's incompetent. If Dorion doesn't fire Mann, he's a malicious idiot who's incompetent. There's no version where he can ever be in the right about anything. These people are fuelled by fanatical hatred, there's no sense in trying to discuss any of this with them. They don't care about anything except the point they were going to make all along and the predetermined opinion they have of this person. Why do we give them so much oxygen on these boards?

no one cares that much man. people come here to post in their free time, its not your job to stand up for Dorions honour, if you understand that maybe you wouldn't be bothered so much and choking from lack of oxygen. Go outside.

Everyone praises Dorion for drafting Stutzle, Sanderson, re-signing Zub etc, so what are you even talking about?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
no one if nobody deserves it?
All the way back to Muckler and Murray, there were always things to complain about.

Not getting a goalie, not getting a #2C (Jokinen looking at you...), Lee over Kopitar, Chara and Hossa, Redden, Pascal Levlaire and Vermette, etc. etc. There will always be things to complain about, and be upset about. The same way every single other fanbase on a message board complains.

Dorion, and this iteration of Sens ownership/management, undoubtedly bring more criticism, complaints, and questioning, and for very blatently obvious reasons; that it's nearly comical to suggest otherwise and things will be the same with anyone else in charge.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
All the way back to Muckler and Murray, there were always things to complain about.

Not getting a goalie, not getting a #2C (Jokinen looking at you...), Lee over Kopitar, Chara and Hossa, Redden, Pascal Levlaire and Vermette, etc. etc. There will always be things to complain about, and be upset about. The same way every single other fanbase on a message board complains.

Dorion, and this iteration of Sens ownership/management, undoubtedly bring more criticism, and very obviously; that it's nearly comical to suggest otherwise and things will be the same with anyone else in charge.

comical is a good word.

sure there are always things to complain about but we were never comical under Muckler or Murray. The organization carried itself as a high class one even with Melnyk there.

The Senators under Dorion could definitely be defined as comical.

Reactions: ksens

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Dorion, and this iteration of Sens ownership/management, undoubtedly bring more criticism, complaints, and questioning, and for very blatently obvious reasons; that it's nearly comical to suggest otherwise and things will be the same with anyone else in charge.
atleast a lot of the complaints were roster related

the past 6 years have been wild and lot of off ice or management related drama

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya I don't agree that it's just mindless complaining. There's been a laundry list of legitimate shit here to have beef with and this regime has been very unproffessional with tons of drama in general. Less so since Melnlyk passed. Dorion is just not very good at a large part of his job even though he's fine in other areas, but unfortunately you need to figure out all the pieces, not just some and botch the rest.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
no one cares that much man. people come here to post in their free time, its not your job to stand up for Dorions honour, if you understand that maybe you wouldn't be bothered so much and choking from lack of oxygen. Go outside.

Everyone praises Dorion for drafting Stutzle, Sanderson, re-signing Zub etc, so what are you even talking about?
Guy with 2.5 times as many posts as me tells me he's only here in his free time. LOL. I guess our definitions of free time must be vastly different then. Try taking a breather pal, I'm sure your brain could use some fresh air once in a while. Wouldn't want you to suffocate from all the intense straining you put your brain through to perform the mental gymnastics you do in here.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Being reasonable / you’re the one making up conspiracy theories about assistant coaches undermining the team and fantasizing about inter team dynamics and ambitions
No, what I did was offer an alternative to show you that your assumption was not the only possibility, what I never did was claim it to be what happened, it was framed as a hypothetical specifically because i don't want anyone to think that is what happened but rather that there is more than one explanation to how things unfolded.

Being reasonable would be acknowledging that unlike you, I never presented anything as fact, and explicitly framed what I posted as purely hypothetical, but you're not doing that, instead your trying to frame me as the unreasonable one
Same standards or same sources? To suggest Mendes does media more Responsibly then Hanna is irresponsible
What I suggested is the possibility that her standards aren't the same as Mendes, which doesn't even mean that she was irresponsible, I did not suggest that it was likely or factual. I actually started with saying the most likely scenario is Hanna does indead have solid sources and hence why she was willing to put it out there.

Again, you're twisting things to suit your narrative, seems to be a nasty habit for you.

If Hanna source is big up management and Mendes (who has been frozen out from the team for his Melnyck death article) source is the Zamboni driver - you could see why he wouldn’t run with it

Sure, Mendes may not have the same sources, He's pretty plugged in but people might have opted not to disclose what they knew after Hanna's tweet for fear of getting caught up in things.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Guy with 2.5 times as many posts as me tells me he's only here in his free time. LOL. I guess our definitions of free time must be vastly different then. Try taking a breather pal, I'm sure your brain could use some fresh air once in a while. Wouldn't want you to suffocate from all the intense straining you put your brain through to perform the mental gymnastics you do in here.

I'm lucky and work for myself and dedicate one of my fours screens to HF cuz im a hockey nerd.

anyway my point is that you're taking this personally for no reason. we're talking about a bunch of grown men wacking a puck.

i post here for fun, you seem to be annoyed to be here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Idk how hard TSN will fight to defend its staff, Hanna may have a really solid source, but I doubt she wants to expose her source so it may be easier to walk it back even if it is true.
Does anyone know what the Canadian legal issues are with respect to the media revealing their sources of info? Can media deny providing its source in a court case?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad