Value of: Trouba for T. Johnson +

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
LOL at Tampa fans trying to upsell Johnson

Don’t hate Johnson in the least......serviceable player.......but no chance I would trade a top pairing RHD that’s 24 years old for him especially after being willing to give the team access to work out a contract with Trouba first.....these things happen.....we’ve all seen players traded with short term then sign extensions within 24 or 48 hours.....clearly there was discussions before the trade. In this case the contract can be discussed just not officially or announced before Jan 1st. Even if people want don’t want to agree to that then do the trade in Jan when a deal can be done officially......certainly wouldn’t be for Johnson.

Reactions: Snowman

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’m not trying to upsell anything - I think trading for Trouba is both unnecessary and completely impractical. I just think you people are drastically underestimating the value of a good top six center signed to a cheap longterm deal and are overestimating the value of a player with only two years of team control remaining. And as history has proven time and time again the ability to negotiate an extension with a player does NOT raise his trade value to anything near what it would be if he were already locked up long term. You may not want Johnson but value-wise he is more than sufficient to return two years of Trouba.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I’m not trying to upsell anything - I think trading for Trouba is both unnecessary and completely impractical. I just think you people are drastically underestimating the value of a good top six center signed to a cheap longterm deal and are overestimating the value of a player with only two years of team control remaining. And as history has proven time and time again the ability to negotiate an extension with a player does NOT raise his trade value to anything near what it would be if he were already locked up long term. You may not want Johnson but value-wise he is more than sufficient to return two years of Trouba.
No. As we've said, Johnson isn't close, no matter how much you try to convince yourself that he is.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Meh. Jet fans want top pairing value, other teams fans want to give 2nd pair value. Don't think anyone is changing any minds here or in any other Trouba threads.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Meh. Jet fans want top pairing value, other teams fans want to give 2nd pair value. Don't think anyone is changing any minds here or in any other Trouba threads.
Yup. On a straight up trade where he is a happy player he would bring back a decent return. But ,this situation,where he wants out of the Peg combined with not knowing where else he wouldn't be happy (anywhere in Canada apparently), will he sign long term and also ,his debatable status as a first pairing Dman is all contributing to his diminishing value!

Reactions: Gary Nylund

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Yup. On a straight up trade where he is a happy player he would bring back a decent return. But ,this situation,where he wants out of the Peg combined with not knowing where else he wouldn't be happy (anywhere in Canada apparently), will he sign long term and also ,his debatable status as a first pairing Dman is all contributing to his diminishing value!
Sounds like what is happening. But not sure how you convince a fan base what a player wants and doesn’t want without any evidence. At best years ago it was just not Canada as the rumor. Now the conjecture is down to him only wanting to play for 3 teams? Based on what? His fiancé lives in Florida? Like being a doctor isn’t in demand in any other NHL city? She’s not in prison.

And OMG, Trouba wants a market value contract, better discount him some more.

I still think at the end of the day multiple team would compete for a valuable player. In the fantasy world that this board is I don’t see why Jet fans would think at this point the Jets would discount Trouba. Kane wanted out for years and they did pretty well in his trade.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Right, we're delusional for not wanting your undersized, 28 year-old, 50 point C for our 24 year old best D. Get a clue and learn how to take no for an answer.

I’ve clearly already accepted your “no”; what I don’t accept is your ridiculous undervaluation of our player and equally absurd overvaluation of yours given his remaining term. Get a clue and learn how to read somebody’s posts.

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
I’ve clearly already accepted your “no”; what I don’t accept is your ridiculous undervaluation of our player and equally absurd overvaluation of yours given his remaining term. Get a clue and learn how to read somebody’s posts.

You haven't accepted no. You're still blaming it on our undervaluation of your player and overvaluation of ours. Johnson is a good player, but there is nothing in the recent past that would show he's worth a 24 year old top pairing D with 2 years left of team control. What have I said about Johnson that isn't true? He's 4 years older than our guy. Over half a foot shorter. He's averaged 50pts on the highest scoring team in the league. This is the first year I would actually think of taking him over our #2C. No one trades their #1D for a 28 year old who could be a 2 or 3C. Not only would the Jets never do it, but other teams would beat that offer in a heartbeat. You have no sense of what an equitable trade is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He only wants to sign with 2-3 teams.

You know this how? First it was a few specific teams, then it was any US team, then it was back to specific teams but a longer list. Somewhere in there it was anywhere but Winnipeg. Now the most recent rumour is that he is fine signing with Winnipeg, he just wants a couple of extra million to do it.

We can speculate that he would like a few teams better than others. Beyond that, we have no idea at all. TBL is near the top of the list according to the speculation.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
You haven't accepted no. You're still blaming it on our undervaluation of your player and overvaluation of ours. Johnson is a good player, but there is nothing in the recent past that would show he's worth a 24 year old top pairing D with 2 years left of team control. What have I said about Johnson that isn't true? He's 4 years older than our guy. Over half a foot shorter. He's averaged 50pts on the highest scoring team in the league. This is the first year I would actually think of taking him over our #2C. No one trades their #1D for a 28 year old who could be a 2 or 3C. Not only would the Jets never do it, but other teams would beat that offer in a heartbeat. You have no sense of what an equitable trade is.

Go back and read my posts where I said on several occasions that I understand if you don’t want Johnson. I’m not going to waste my time debating with someone who lacks first grade reading comprehension.

But for the record nobody trades a good 2C on a very reasonable deal with several years of team control for a two-year rental either. There is nothing in the recent past that would show two years of Trouba having that sort of value. You are the one with no sense of what an equitable trade is.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The thing is that Johnson is not "a good top 6 C on a cheap long term deal". He is a borderline 2C who is weak defensively. For that, his contract is not great. In fact, with 6 years to go it is a risky contract to take on.

He is not "sufficient to return two years of Trouba" because, for that Jets are better off just keeping Trouba for 2 years and letting him walk.

Any Trouba deal with TBL has to start with Cal Foote. Johnson might be acceptable to free cap space in Tampa.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The thing is that Johnson is not "a good top 6 C on a cheap long term deal". He is a borderline 2C who is weak defensively. For that, his contract is not great. In fact, with 6 years to go it is a risky contract to take on.

He is not "sufficient to return two years of Trouba" because, for that Jets are better off just keeping Trouba for 2 years and letting him walk.

Any Trouba deal with TBL has to start with Cal Foote. Johnson might be acceptable to free cap space in Tampa.
1. Johnson is a high end 2c not a borderline one, he can hit 50 points without top PP time or time with offensive stars. And he is not poor defensively.
2. Treating Johnson as a throw in for Trouba is laughable. If Johnson is a throw in in a deal it better be Karlsson.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would give Foote if it meant we were re-signing Trouba but I dont think we can do that right now though. I think he would re-sign but you never know.

jetsjetsjets

Jan 11, 2016
Go back and read my posts where I said on several occasions that I understand if you don’t want Johnson. I’m not going to waste my time debating with someone who lacks first grade reading comprehension.

But for the record nobody trades a good 2C on a very reasonable deal with several years of team control for a two-year rental either. There is nothing in the recent past that would show two years of Trouba having that sort of value. You are the one with no sense of what an equitable trade is.
Great insults. Very mature way of getting a point across...

So you claim you agree with me that the trade would be turned down by the Jets, then end by saying I have no sense of what an equitable trade is?

1. Looking at a pending RFA as a 2 year rental shows you haven't got a clue when it comes to the economics of hockey.
2. Top-pairing, pending RFA Dmen are rarely traded. Way more rare then a player of Johnson's caliber.
3. When they are traded, they nearly always go for players better and younger than Johnson.
4. No you.

Reactions: Snowman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I dont know if TB and Winnipeg really make all that great trade partners. Both are contenders so I dont know why they would want to help each other out very much.

Do you really think teams make big trades in order to do favours for each other?

They even trade within their divisions with direct competitors. There might be some desire to trade good players as far away as possible but the decision is made by each GM deciding his team is better after the trade than before.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Sounds like what is happening. But not sure how you convince a fan base what a player wants and doesn’t want without any evidence. At best years ago it was just not Canada as the rumor. Now the conjecture is down to him only wanting to play for 3 teams? Based on what? His fiancé lives in Florida? Like being a doctor isn’t in demand in any other NHL city? She’s not in prison.

And OMG, Trouba wants a market value contract, better discount him some more.

I still think at the end of the day multiple team would compete for a valuable player. In the fantasy world that this board is I don’t see why Jet fans would think at this point the Jets would discount Trouba. Kane wanted out for years and they did pretty well in his trade.
It is true that I have no evidence...either way! So,he doesn't want out of the Peg? How do these rumors begin?Why is it a thing? As to his value,well that was just decided ! Perhaps Kane was open to going anywhere! Not sure if Trouba is!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1. Johnson is a high end 2c not a borderline one, he can hit 50 points without top PP time or time with offensive stars. And he is not poor defensively.
2. Treating Johnson as a throw in for Trouba is laughable. If Johnson is a throw in in a deal it better be Karlsson.

Johnson is a 50 pt 2C, no argument. He also is weak defensively, very weak. That's what makes him borderline as a 2C.

I didn't use the word throw-in. Or cap dump. He is better than that. But he doesn't make the Jets better, so the only reason for Jets to accept him is to free up cap space for TBL. And the length of his contract makes that risky. Is an undersized C like him likely to be able to earn that contract for 6 more years - to the age of 34?

We could offer to take Callahan to free cap space, but TBL would likely want more term attached to the freed cap space and Jets would want an add if taking on Callahan.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
You know this how? First it was a few specific teams, then it was any US team, then it was back to specific teams but a longer list. Somewhere in there it was anywhere but Winnipeg. Now the most recent rumour is that he is fine signing with Winnipeg, he just wants a couple of extra million to do it.

We can speculate that he would like a few teams better than others. Beyond that, we have no idea at all. TBL is near the top of the list according to the speculation.
Why talk then? Trouba hasn't been asked ,I guess? Chevy either? If no one knows for sure,then why is it a topic?
Facts are few! He is worth 5.5m this year. Not every team needs or wants him! He is a decent all round Dman. That's all I really know!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why talk then? Trouba hasn't been asked ,I guess? Chevy either? If no one knows for sure,then why is it a topic?
Facts are few! He is worth 5.5m this year. Not every team needs or wants him! He is a decent all round Dman. That's all I really know!

Trouba has never publicly expressed a desire for any specific location. There have been plenty of rumours, none seem to have any substance behind them. My post was in reply to a poster who seems to think he knows what is in Trouba's mind.

We know that his GF is committed to 7 more years of school in South Florida. We know he owns a condo in Ft. Lauderdale. We know Florida has a warm climate and some tax advantages that make players easier to sign. Those are a few facts.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Do you really think teams make big trades in order to do favours for each other?

They even trade within their divisions with direct competitors. There might be some desire to trade good players as far away as possible but the decision is made by each GM deciding his team is better after the trade than before.

I dont think they do them in order to help each other but teams do make trades to make their own teams better. That is the intention. So I just dont see 2 contenders dealing with each other. At least not ideally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad