Value of: Trouba for T. Johnson +

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Foote seems to be getting overrated here.

He's a good prospect, but that's all he is. He hasn't proven anything yet. He will be lucky to get close to as good as Trouba is. You could trade Trouba as a rental at the next trade deadline and get a 1st rounder + that has nearly the same value as Foote.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Foote seems to be getting overrated here.

He's a good prospect, but that's all he is. He hasn't proven anything yet. He will be lucky to get close to as good as Trouba is. You could trade Trouba as a rental at the next trade deadline and get a 1st rounder + that has nearly the same value as Foote.

It’s not just value but need as well. We need somebody who can play on our top pairing with Hedman after Stralman leaves following next season, and preferably to do so on as cheap a deal as possible. Foote fits the bill perfectly. Yes, Trouba is clearly the more proven player right now, but Foote is much cheaper, has many more years of team control, and is somebody most of us believe will be capable of filling the role especially opposite the best defenseman in the league. Arguments over value aside there is simply no reason to risk that for a player we might not even be able to resign.

On top of that flipping Trouba at the next trade deadline makes zero sense for us. We already have Stralman for next season so the primary benefit of trading for Trouba as a short term rental would be the second of his two remaining years of team control. So trading him at that TDL would render him essentially useless to us and even if he did return a pick with which we could draft another prospect with Foote’s value (which is no guarantee, by the way) that prospect wouldn’t be ready when we need him to be.

So again, there is zero reason for us to trade Foote unless it’s to bring in somebody who can fill his projected role for the long term. Yzerman wouldn’t move him for two years of Karlsson; he certainly isn’t moving him for two years of Trouba.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It’s not just value but need as well. We need somebody who can play on our top pairing with Hedman after Stralman leaves following next season, and preferably to do so on as cheap a deal as possible. Foote fits the bill perfectly. Yes, Trouba is clearly the more proven player right now, but Foote is much cheaper, has many more years of team control, and is somebody most of us believe will be capable of filling the role especially opposite the best defenseman in the league. Arguments over value aside there is simply no reason to risk that for a player we might not even be able to resign.

On top of that flipping Trouba at the next trade deadline makes zero sense for us. We already have Stralman for next season so the primary benefit of trading for Trouba as a short term rental would be the second of his two remaining years of team control. So trading him at that TDL would render him essentially useless to us and even if he did return a pick with which we could draft another prospect with Foote’s value (which is no guarantee, by the way) that prospect wouldn’t be ready when we need him to be.

So again, there is zero reason for us to trade Foote unless it’s to bring in somebody who can fill his projected role for the long term. Yzerman wouldn’t move him for two years of Karlsson; he certainly isn’t moving him for two years of Trouba.
Fair enough about fit, I was talking in strictly value.

Is there a source that actually says the bolded? If he wouldn't give Foote for Karlsson he is not as smart as I thought. You make guys like Karlsson fit and a prospect like Foote is nothing in comparison.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You aren’t getting Foote unless Trouba is signed to a longterm deal before the trade goes through - we aren’t gambling the future of our top pairing on the possibility that we might be able to agree on an extension.

And Stralman is a top pairing defenseman with one year of team control while Trouba is a top pairing defenseman with two years of team control; Trouba is more valuable but the difference between them is not Foote (and before you say it the age difference is not a significant factor when neither is signed to a longterm deal.) You can have Stralman+ for an unsigned Trouba or Foote+ for a signed Trouba but you aren’t getting both for an unsigned Trouba.

Finally you’re drastically underestimating our cap difficulties: Callahan’s, Stralman’s, Coburn’s, and Girardi’s cap space is already accounted for to keep the players we currently have and even then we’ll still need to move Miller after next season. So to make room for Trouba we’d have to trade both Johnson and Killorn (both of whom have full NTCs) or possibly trade one of them and let Gourde walk, depending on how much Trouba wants.

Sounds like all you want to do is throw up road blocks. If you aren't interested just say so and leave the thread.

Trouba can't be signed until Jan 1/19. TBL and Trouba's agent could have a deal worked out ahead of time. Maybe they could even sign an MOU, which would be binding. But they can't sign an NHL contract till then.

Stralman is 32 and a pending UFA. Does Yzerman even intend on signing him? Is he still a top pair D? His scoring has fallen way off. That usually indicates the rest of his game is deteriorating too.

With Cally, Stralman, Coburn and Girardi gone you have freed up 17 million. Add 1.833 from Carle =18.833. Trade 1 guy, I suggest Johnson since you have so many Cs. You now have 23.833 mil to work with. Gourde and Point are now getting 1.687 so that goes back into the pot before their new salaries come out. That is 25.5 mil to pay Gourde, Point, Trouba and 4 promoted prospects on ELCs or replacement level players.

That is just a quick take. I don't pretend it is the complete picture. It isn't up to me - or the Jets - to completely solve all of TBL's cap issues for the next 10 years. I left out Vasilevskiy and Sergachev.

Would you be better off keeping Stralman and giving us Miller instead?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Sounds like all you want to do is throw up road blocks. If you aren't interested just say so and leave the thread.

Trouba can't be signed until Jan 1/19. TBL and Trouba's agent could have a deal worked out ahead of time. Maybe they could even sign an MOU, which would be binding. But they can't sign an NHL contract till then.

Stralman is 32 and a pending UFA. Does Yzerman even intend on signing him? Is he still a top pair D? His scoring has fallen way off. That usually indicates the rest of his game is deteriorating too.

With Cally, Stralman, Coburn and Girardi gone you have freed up 17 million. Add 1.833 from Carle =18.833. Trade 1 guy, I suggest Johnson since you have so many Cs. You now have 23.833 mil to work with. Gourde and Point are now getting 1.687 so that goes back into the pot before their new salaries come out. That is 25.5 mil to pay Gourde, Point, Trouba and 4 promoted prospects on ELCs or replacement level players.

That is just a quick take. I don't pretend it is the complete picture. It isn't up to me - or the Jets - to completely solve all of TBL's cap issues for the next 10 years. I left out Vasilevskiy and Sergachev.

Stralman is still good and Johnson is as good at wing as center, otherwise good post.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stralman is still good and Johnson is as good at wing as center, otherwise good post.

How many good years does Stralman have left? If he is that good and could be extended, maybe we can sweeten the deal a bit.

Just a guess - but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson is actually better on a wing than at C. C is a tough position for a small man to play at a high level.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
How many good years does Stralman have left? If he is that good and could be extended, maybe we can sweeten the deal a bit.

Just a guess - but I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson is actually better on a wing than at C. C is a tough position for a small man to play at a high level.
Prior to this season Johnson always looked better at C but in his 2 month winger stretch in Dec and Jan he was one of the leagues most productive players (look it up im not even kidding)

I’m not sure if I’d trade Stralman. He’s still really good though Trouba is a little better. Stralman could decline hard soon though, hard to say. Also dunno if Stralman would extend in Winnipeg, he has a young family and may not want to move them to Winnipeg.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It is true that I have no evidence...either way! So,he doesn't want out of the Peg? How do these rumors begin?Why is it a thing? As to his value,well that was just decided ! Perhaps Kane was open to going anywhere! Not sure if Trouba is!
So you got nothing. Thanks. My point exactly.

By the way, I hear Hector Morrison drowns puppies in his spare time. Does he? How do these rumors begin? As to the truth that was just decided.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Go back and read my posts where I said on several occasions that I understand if you don’t want Johnson. I’m not going to waste my time debating with someone who lacks first grade reading comprehension.

But for the record nobody trades a good 2C on a very reasonable deal with several years of team control for a two-year rental either. There is nothing in the recent past that would show two years of Trouba having that sort of value. You are the one with no sense of what an equitable trade is.
Why is he a rental? Why can’t you sign him? Why can’t you trade him for value in a year or year and a half?

Reactions: jetsjetsjets

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

I’m only throwing up roadblocks to bad ideas. Come up with a trade that makes sense for both sides and I’ll be all for it, but I have yet to see one suggested.

Are binding MOUs on post-trade extensions permitted by the CBA? I can’t recall that happening in the past and I doubt they’re allowed but if you can show otherwise I’ll concede the point. But we simply cannot afford to risk Foote unless we are absolutely certain we’re getting a longterm replacement for him.

Stralman’s offense has dropped off (though some of that is due to Sergachev taking his power play spot) but he’s still a top pair D defensively which considering we’re talking about a partner for Hedman is all we need. Lightning fans are split on whether or not he’ll be extended; personally I don’t think he will be. But that doesn’t matter when comparing his value to Trouba’s - the point is that both of them are top pairing defensemen with little term remaining and while Trouba is obviously the more valuable of the two the difference doesn’t come close to a top prospect like Foote.

And leaving out Sergachev and Vasilevskiy is to ignore the cap issue entirely. Nobody’s saying the Jets have to solve our cap problems but when you insist that we should give up our top young, cost-controlled talent for a two-year rental because you think we can easily resign him it’s not out of line for us to point out the error in your logic. Miller+ or Stralman+ (the latter would probably make more sense for both teams in terms of positional need) would be fine for an unsigned Trouba: the move would be roughly cap-neutral for next season, the following year we could make space in a number of ways or in a worst case scenario flip him, and our longterm plans would be unaffected. But if we’re trading Foote we need Trouba on a longterm deal to fill his projected role going forward, which means a) the deal needs to be signed before the trade goes through (which never actually happens) and b) we need to somehow clear up the cap space to afford Trouba’s extension (which would be next to impossible given the NTCs Yzerman has handed out and even if it were would gut our forward depth.)

In short the only way Foote for Trouba makes sense is if Trouba is signing an extension with us and that comes with a lot of issues that are highly unlikely to be resolved. If you want to talk about us paying the two-year rental price for Trouba without an extension in place that may be more realistic, but after the McDonagh trade we’re short on available futures and we don’t have a lot of roster players we can move that you would want either. I just don’t see a deal that works for both sides.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
Trouba would be a good fit in Tampa if he really does want out of Winnipeg, Johnson could be the center the jets are looking for and he would add speed between Ehlers and Laine. Jets fans probably won’t like the general idea (I know how canadian fans are on here) but I think a deal of this sort makes sense. Something like Trouba for Johnson+Raddysh+2nd, if jets really think Trouba is gone in fa. In normal circumstances this is an underpay for Trouba but if the jets are worried about losing him for nothing it makes sense. Thoughts?
Any Trouba trade would have to include a defenceman coming back the other way of equal or similar value. Johnson would be a nice piece but I don't see him as much of an improvement over little and if roslovic is able to step in as the 2nd line center, his potential ceiling is higher than Johnson's.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Johnson’s a great center; the problem was that we were playing him at 3C with Killorn (who has never had good chemistry with TJ) and a revolving door of double-shifted right wings (we were running 11F/7D at the time.) We needed a second line RW and were wasting Johnson the way we were using him so Cooper moved him back into the top six at wing where he thrived. I do think the move may be beneficial in helping him avoid injury going forward but he’s still a damn good center and I like the idea of having him as bonus top six center depth in case Stamkos or Point goes down.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Any Trouba trade would have to include a defenceman coming back the other way of equal or similar value. Johnson would be a nice piece but I don't see him as much of an improvement over little and if roslovic is able to step in as the 2nd line center, his potential ceiling is higher than Johnson's.

Frankly the only thing that might make any sense for both teams would be Stralman+ for Trouba (unsigned). But I don’t know if we can agree on the plus.

Reactions: GMpuckFan66

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You aren’t getting Foote unless Trouba is signed to a longterm deal before the trade goes through - we aren’t gambling the future of our top pairing on the possibility that we might be able to agree on an extension.

And Stralman is a top pairing defenseman with one year of team control while Trouba is a top pairing defenseman with two years of team control; Trouba is more valuable but the difference between them is not Foote (and before you say it the age difference is not a significant factor when neither is signed to a longterm deal.) You can have Stralman+ for an unsigned Trouba or Foote+ for a signed Trouba but you aren’t getting both for an unsigned Trouba.

Finally you’re drastically underestimating our cap difficulties: Callahan’s, Stralman’s, Coburn’s, and Girardi’s cap space is already accounted for to keep the players we currently have and even then we’ll still need to move Miller after next season. So to make room for Trouba we’d have to trade both Johnson and Killorn (both of whom have full NTCs) or possibly trade one of them and let Gourde walk, depending on how much Trouba wants.
This will probably surprise you, but if Trouba is signed to a long term deal, then Foote would just be a sweetener. There is no chance Foote would even be discussed as the main piece for a long term, signed Trouba.

So, there is your conundrum.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
:laugh: Jets fans expectations run the gammut. I think a top RHD prospect, like Foote should be the main piece. I'd like a Sergachev, but I don't think that is realistic. With Foote we should get an add. Decent but not huge. If we take back a cap dump, like Callahan the add gets bigger.

How about Foote plus Stralman? He becomes surplus if TBL has Trouba. His cap almost covers Trouba and that gives TBL a year to clear more space.

He fills Trouba's spot on the Jets while Foote develops. Jets may keep him longer if his contract requirements are acceptable.

That would actually be a little disappointing for many Jets fans - unless Foote turns out a little better than expected. But it might be the best solution we could get under the circumstances.

It certainly makes Tampa better. It leaves them with cap issues to deal with but I don't think that is insurmountable. Coburn and Girardi expire in a year and Callahan a year later. We have heard so much about how good Johnson is. Trade him to someone who needs that kind of C. Problem solved.
Your assessment seems reasonable considering Stralmans age and Foote like most young D is a gamble....this is also assuming Trouba is signable long term for Tampa.
What made me scratch my head about Tampa is that they are already pretty good on D,yet they are/were pursuing EK! Does Trouba get more minutes than Hedman or Mcdonough?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
This will probably surprise you, but if Trouba is signed to a long term deal, then Foote would just be a sweetener. There is no chance Foote would even be discussed as the main piece for a long term, signed Trouba.

So, there is your conundrum.

We don’t have a conundrum. Trouba is a luxury we don’t need and can’t afford and we’re perfectly happy with Foote going forward. If there’s a deal for Trouba that makes sense for us then we can consider it; all I’m saying is that deal doesn’t include Foote unless Trouba comes with an extension.

Anyway it depends on what you’re talking about. If you’re talking about Trouba signed to a longterm deal where the Jets don’t have to move him and can trade him anywhere they like, you’re absolutely correct. If you’re talking about the mythical “sign and trade”, where the only team Trouba is willing to extend with is Tampa but in order to facilitate the trade he is willing to sign the extension before the trade goes through, then his value will be much lower as the Jets have no leverage in that situation (but again, that scenario never happens in the real world - which is why it is pointless for Jets fans to act as though an extension is guaranteed in order to boost Trouba’s perceived trade value. Unless and until he signs an extension his value is based on the years of team control he has remaining, which again is not worth Foote to us.)

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
So you got nothing. Thanks. My point exactly.

By the way, I hear Hector Morrison drowns puppies in his spare time. Does he? How do these rumors begin? As to the truth that was just decided.
Just being factual,not sure how big that bug in your arse is, but you really should have a sit down soon! Can't handle reality? Trouba being paid 5.5m is reality..That's what he is worth! Was that a disappointment for you as well as for him? So,do you have something firm to go on then ,you know to enlighten us all? Obviously not!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m only throwing up roadblocks to bad ideas. Come up with a trade that makes sense for both sides and I’ll be all for it, but I have yet to see one suggested.

Are binding MOUs on post-trade extensions permitted by the CBA? I can’t recall that happening in the past and I doubt they’re allowed but if you can show otherwise I’ll concede the point. But we simply cannot afford to risk Foote unless we are absolutely certain we’re getting a longterm replacement for him.

Stralman’s offense has dropped off (though some of that is due to Sergachev taking his power play spot) but he’s still a top pair D defensively which considering we’re talking about a partner for Hedman is all we need. Lightning fans are split on whether or not he’ll be extended; personally I don’t think he will be. But that doesn’t matter when comparing his value to Trouba’s - the point is that both of them are top pairing defensemen with little term remaining and while Trouba is obviously the more valuable of the two the difference doesn’t come close to a top prospect like Foote.

And leaving out Sergachev and Vasilevskiy is to ignore the cap issue entirely. Nobody’s saying the Jets have to solve our cap problems but when you insist that we should give up our top young, cost-controlled talent for a two-year rental because you think we can easily resign him it’s not out of line for us to point out the error in your logic. Miller+ or Stralman+ (the latter would probably make more sense for both teams in terms of positional need) would be fine for an unsigned Trouba: the move would be roughly cap-neutral for next season, the following year we could make space in a number of ways or in a worst case scenario flip him, and our longterm plans would be unaffected. But if we’re trading Foote we need Trouba on a longterm deal to fill his projected role going forward, which means a) the deal needs to be signed before the trade goes through (which never actually happens) and b) we need to somehow clear up the cap space to afford Trouba’s extension (which would be next to impossible given the NTCs Yzerman has handed out and even if it were would gut our forward depth.)

In short the only way Foote for Trouba makes sense is if Trouba is signing an extension with us and that comes with a lot of issues that are highly unlikely to be resolved. If you want to talk about us paying the two-year rental price for Trouba without an extension in place that may be more realistic, but after the McDonagh trade we’re short on available futures and we don’t have a lot of roster players we can move that you would want either. I just don’t see a deal that works for both sides.

Very argumentative tone here. Just not necessary.

IMO I've come up with sensible suggestions. That's obvious or I wouldn't have made them. That doesn't mean they are perfect. Work with me here.

I said 'maybe' they could sign an MOU. Pure speculation on my part. I've never heard of that being done but if it has been, it doesn't need to have been made public. Otherwise, as long as you insist on absolute guarantees it would have to wait until after Jan 1/19. Then both teams are in playoff races. Players may have been injured. Who knows if it would still be possible or not?

If all you are willing to pay is rental prices for a player still under team control for 2 years then we can forget it.

I didn't leave out Serg and Vasilevskiy to ignore the issue. I realized later that I had missed them. They obviously affect the problem for TBL. Like I said, I am not trying to solve all of your problems.

I didn't start this thread. It started with a suggestion from a TBL fan of Johnson for Trouba and asked how is the value. I will repeat my first response. Trouba to TBL starts with Foote. The only alternative to that is starting with Sergachev and I don't think that is even worth discussing since TBL would not consider it.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Just being factual,not sure how big that bug in your arse is, but you really should have a sit down soon! Can't handle reality? Trouba being paid 5.5m is reality..That's what he is worth! Was that a disappointment for you as well as for him? So,do you have something firm to go on then ,you know to enlighten us all? Obviously not!
Not sure what you are talking about. What reality? Your reality you present without a shred of evidence? You replied to me when I said there was no proof to what you have said. You have not brought any facts about where he wants to play. Any proof?

Why is Trouba's salary a disappointment to me?

You are really bad at this. You might want t9 delete your account because you are looking really bad right now.

Reactions: Snowman

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Your assessment seems reasonable considering Stralmans age and Foote like most young D is a gamble....this is also assuming Trouba is signable long term for Tampa.
What made me scratch my head about Tampa is that they are already pretty good on D,yet they are/were pursuing EK! Does Trouba get more minutes than Hedman or Mcdonough?

Jets fans generally assume that TBL and Fla are 1-2 or 2-1 on Trouba's desired landing spot list. There is also the assumption that a deal is worked out ahead of time but it can't be signed until Jan 1/19.

Hedman and McDonagh are both lefties so the assumption is that Trouba plays 1RHD with Hedman. He replaces Stralman. The total TOI would likely depend on special teams time.

Another assumption from Jets fans is that if Yzerman was pursuing EK65, he must have a plan to manage the cap. He would only be interested in Trouba if he doesn't get Karlsson.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Very argumentative tone here. Just not necessary.

IMO I've come up with sensible suggestions. That's obvious or I wouldn't have made them. That doesn't mean they are perfect. Work with me here.

I said 'maybe' they could sign an MOU. Pure speculation on my part. I've never heard of that being done but if it has been, it doesn't need to have been made public. Otherwise, as long as you insist on absolute guarantees it would have to wait until after Jan 1/19. Then both teams are in playoff races. Players may have been injured. Who knows if it would still be possible or not?

If all you are willing to pay is rental prices for a player still under team control for 2 years then we can forget it.

I didn't leave out Serg and Vasilevskiy to ignore the issue. I realized later that I had missed them. They obviously affect the problem for TBL. Like I said, I am not trying to solve all of your problems.

I didn't start this thread. It started with a suggestion from a TBL fan of Johnson for Trouba and asked how is the value. I will repeat my first response. Trouba to TBL starts with Foote. The only alternative to that is starting with Sergachev and I don't think that is even worth discussing since TBL would not consider it.

Nothing argumentative about it. I’m just pointing out why Foote for Trouba makes zero sense for us unless Trouba’s extension with us is guaranteed.

We’re currently in an excellent position with Stralman giving us solid top pairing defense for at least one more season, after which Foote likely steps into a role where all he has to do is play quality defense on a cheap contract and stay out of Hedman’s way. Even Jake Dotchin managed that in his rookie season and he’s barely a third pairing defenseman at this point. So why should we throw away a good situation in both the short and long term on a gamble for a player who might not resign with us and who we probably can’t make room for even if he would?

Again, I’ve maintained from the beginning that there probably isn’t a trade to be made that makes sense for both sides. I’m not telling you what the Jets should do - I assume you know your team’s needs better than I do and I never try to force trades on other fanbases. What I will do is tell you what makes sense from the Lightning’s perspective, and what I’m saying is that Foote is a nonstarter unless we’re getting his replacement on a longterm deal. If that means we don’t get Trouba then I’m perfectly fine with that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Signing an MOU or any sort of binding deal other then an actual NHL contract would be deemed Circumvention by the NHL.

Reactions: Naturaledge

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nothing argumentative about it. I’m just pointing out why Foote for Trouba makes zero sense for us unless Trouba’s extension with us is guaranteed.

We’re currently in an excellent position with Stralman giving us solid top pairing defense for at least one more season, after which Foote likely steps into a role where all he has to do is play quality defense on a cheap contract and stay out of Hedman’s way. Even Jake Dotchin managed that in his rookie season and he’s barely a third pairing defenseman at this point. So why should we throw away a good situation in both the short and long term on a gamble for a player who might not resign with us and who we probably can’t make room for even if he would?

Again, I’ve maintained from the beginning that there probably isn’t a trade to be made that makes sense for both sides. I’m not telling you what the Jets should do - I assume you know your team’s needs better than I do and I never try to force trades on other fanbases. What I will do is tell you what makes sense from the Lightning’s perspective, and what I’m saying is that Foote is a nonstarter unless we’re getting his replacement on a longterm deal. If that means we don’t get Trouba then I’m perfectly fine with that.

Fair enough. You have what we are asking for. That is Stralman followed by Foote. You need some incentive to swap that for what we have. The difference is that we know (pretty good indicators) that Trouba would rather be in Florida than in Wpg. Therefore you can sign him long term more easily than we can.

Both teams have cap issues. Tampa's are probably a little worse. We can structure a deal to help you with that problem - to a point. If that isn't incentive enough then we probably can't work anything out. And that is OK. We go elsewhere and you can find other solutions to your cap problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->