Value of: Trouba for T. Johnson +

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Trouba would be a good fit in Tampa if he really does want out of Winnipeg, Johnson could be the center the jets are looking for and he would add speed between Ehlers and Laine. Jets fans probably won’t like the general idea (I know how canadian fans are on here) but I think a deal of this sort makes sense. Something like Trouba for Johnson+Raddysh+2nd, if jets really think Trouba is gone in fa. In normal circumstances this is an underpay for Trouba but if the jets are worried about losing him for nothing it makes sense. Thoughts?

Reactions: north49er

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't think the plus would have to be too much. Pretty even across the board imo. Johnson waiving his ntc would be the biggest hurdle.

I think the + would have to be pretty significant, personally. I don't know if Johnson is a huge upgrade on Little/Roslovic. Sergachev makes some sense come back but even then, I guess I just kind of wonder "why" from tbay.

If they deal Trouba I think they should get a high end 2nd C for him with 1C potential.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I don't see the Jets looking to deal Trouba one-to-one for a center, regardless of value. It opens up too big a hole on the back end.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
I think the + would have to be pretty significant, personally. I don't know if Johnson is a huge upgrade on Little/Roslovic. Sergachev makes some sense come back but even then, I guess I just kind of wonder "why" from tbay.

If they deal Trouba I think they should get a high end 2nd C for him with 1C potential.

So Tampa gets Trouba for a top 6 C and arguably a top 4 D in sergachev, yeah that is not going to happen.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Trouba would be a good fit in Tampa if he really does want out of Winnipeg, Johnson could be the center the jets are looking for and he would add speed between Ehlers and Laine. Jets fans probably won’t like the general idea (I know how canadian fans are on here) but I think a deal of this sort makes sense. Something like Trouba for Johnson+Raddysh+2nd, if jets really think Trouba is gone in fa. In normal circumstances this is an underpay for Trouba but if the jets are worried about losing him for nothing it makes sense. Thoughts?
I usually roll my eyes(for obvious reasons) when posters paint a single teams fanbase with one stroke of a brush. I'm not sure what to do with that one. :laugh:

As for the trade i would be surprised if the Jets didn't look for defense as a return as they have plenty of firepower up front and reasonably decent center options worth a look.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Trouba has only two years of team control left so Sergachev's and Foote’s names should not enter the conversation. Frankly Johnson should be enough value-wise; the question is whether he’s a piece the Jets would want for Trouba or if they’d rather go after either a different veteran or a package of futures.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Trouba has only two years of team control left so Sergachev's and Foote’s names should not enter the conversation. Frankly Johnson should be enough value-wise; the question is whether he’s a piece the Jets would want for Trouba or if they’d rather go after either a different veteran or a package of futures.

Hes not.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't see the Jets looking to deal Trouba one-to-one for a center, regardless of value. It opens up too big a hole on the back end.
A 1 for 1 deal to swap D sides could happen but the jets should be prepared to maybe get the best asset(S) they can for trouba and them make a second deal to get what they want. Teams do covet rhd and would move LHD to get one.

Harder to make a hockey deal when the other side knows you have to move the player.

I would also doubt that the players in TB who hold a full ntc are going to waive it. Assuming taxes in Winnipeg are close to what they are in Toronto Johnson’s $5 million goes from a take home of over $3 million down to around $2.5 million.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

I didn’t think he would be. Both teams are flush at forward, short on cap space, and looking to solidify their top four while maintaining enough room to resign their young players. Just don’t see us being good trading partners.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba would extend with TB, just like Karlsson. He owns a condo in Fla and his fiancee is in med school there.

Reactions: north49er

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I don't like Johnson as a basis for a trade, I don't see him as an upgrade on Little or Roslovic for that matter (I'd want to give him a shot at a top-6 role).

The only pieces that would make sense for us are Point or Sergachev, but then I don't see how it would make sense for Tampa.

I think we're just not good trading partners.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I feel like jets defense can afford to lose Trouba at least somewhat

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Johnson-Laine
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Copp

Is loaded. Jets fans keep complaining about their hole at 2c and Johnson could be an answer, and if they think Trouba will leave for nothing in 2020 then it makes some sense

Reactions: north49er and Fro

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I don't like Johnson as a basis for a trade, I don't see him as an upgrade on Little or Roslovic for that matter (I'd want to give him a shot at a top-6 role).

The only pieces that would make sense for us are Point or Sergachev, but then I don't see how it would make sense for Tampa.

I think we're just not good trading partners.

Yeah, Point and Serg aren’t going anywhere. I agree that we aren’t good trading partners.

Reactions: Deam78

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I feel like jets defense can afford to lose Trouba at least somewhat

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Johnson-Laine
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Copp

Is loaded. Jets fans keep complaining about their hole at 2c and Johnson could be an answer, and if they think Trouba will leave for nothing in 2020 then it makes some sense

My general rule in this sort of situation is to trust that a team’s fans know their own team’s needs better than we do. Johnson may well be a great fit in their lineup but if they say they don’t want him for Trouba then it’s not worth arguing with them. By that same token there’s absolutely no way we’d give up Point, Serg, or Foote for Trouba; we’d be annoyed if they insisted on one of those players, so why try to force Johnson for Trouba on them? I just don’t see a deal between these two teams working out - they are in nearly identical situations and have the same strengths and needs.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
My general rule in this sort of situation is to trust that a team’s fans know their own team’s needs better than we do. Johnson may well be a great fit in their lineup but if they say they don’t want him for Trouba then it’s not worth arguing with them. By that same token there’s absolutely no way we’d give up Point, Serg, or Foote for Trouba; we’d be annoyed if they insisted on one of those players, so why try to force Johnson for Trouba on them? I just don’t see a deal between these two teams working out - they are in nearly identical situations and have the same strengths and needs.
I’d give up foote for Trouba. Probably do foote+Killorn+ok prospect+like a 2nd.

And the teams don’t have the same strengths and needs. Tampa is strong at 1 and 2c and LHD, jets are strong along the rght wing and RHD and need a 2c as little didn’t fit there last season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure why OP thinks the Jets might lose Trouba for nothing.....literally no one thinks that. He’s a RFA for two years still, can’t lose him for nothing barring letting him walk in two years which would be our choice.....albeit a dumb one.

Jets likely keep Trouba this season for one more big push, try to resign after Jan 1st.....if he won’t sign by next summer then trade him.

But I’ll play along with OP and assume we trade him this summer. Any team wanting to submit a serious offer for Trouba is trading for him assuming his is signing there and would be given access to his agent to work it out. Not sure the Jets would want any part of Tyler’s contract which has a very long term. But let’s say they are willing to take it on, not a big fan of Tyler so the plus would be Foote or would even consider it.

Outside this fictional thread Tyler would never be a target I would trade Trouba for.

Reactions: Mork and Snowman

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
If its Foote, I would think 1 of Coburn or Girardi would have to go to make it work...mainly just from a numbers game...it gives 'peg a "decent" body to fit on bottom pair

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If its Foote, I would think 1 of Coburn or Girardi would have to go to make it work...mainly just from a numbers game...it gives 'peg a "decent" body to fit on bottom pair
I could see Foote+Girardi+Joseph+2nd or something

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I’d give up foote for Trouba. Probably do foote+Killorn+ok prospect+like a 2nd.

For Trouba on a long term deal, absolutely. For Trouba with only two years of team control, when we can’t even negotiate an immediate trade and sign? Hell no. Again, Yzerman wouldn’t trade Foote for two years of Karlsson; he’s not going to trade him for two years of Trouba.

Not to mention that even if Trouba was willing to resign with us we’d have to lose two of Johnson, Killorn, and Gourde to afford his next deal. Two of those guys have full NTCs which makes the whole thing highly unlikely to begin with, and while I wouldn’t mind jettisoning Killorn both Johnson and Gourde have a good deal of value to us. Considering McDonagh-Sergachev looks to be our second pairing going forward all we really need is somebody who can play with Hedman and not be a liability; Foote should easily be able to handle that and in the unlikely event he can’t we’ve also got Cernak. So why trade a promising young defenseman on his ELC for Trouba and gut our forward depth in the process to afford Trouba’s next contract when we can simply play that young defenseman and keep our forward depth intact?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad