Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sanheim aggravates me with how unassertive he can be & how he disappears at times, but he certainly seems to be regaining confidence. With how bad the Flyers’ D is, he needs to play more. I’m not really sure why Gudas doesn’t play more, either.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
his 3 lowest TOI games of the year....have come in the last 5 games....3 games playing under 12:40 a night.

He has 3g+1a in those games.

No reward for playing well under Hak unless you have no talent. Speaking of which:

Andrew MacDonald has not played LESS than 19:39 minutes a game the last 6 games.....since Hextall was fired. Also 6 of his top 7 TOI games this year have come since Hextall was fired.

Certainly looks like Hex was pushing for Travis to play and for AMac to play less. Yet Hextall lost the battle. **** us all.

Absolute disaster.

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
Yeah, it's hilarious that Hextall was the reason AMac was getting scratched and now Hakstol is playing him like a top pair defenseman. Fire this ****ing idiot now.

Sanheim needs those minutes if for no other reason than to prove to Fletcher that he is extremely valuable going forward. I'm terrified he's going to be traded.

I was gonna "like" your post until I read the part about Sanheim being traded. I don't see that happening. Otherwise, I completely agree with what you stated.

Reactions: Rebels57

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
Sanheim aggravates me with how unassertive he can be & how he disappears at times, but he certainly seems to be regaining confidence. With how bad the Flyers’ D is, he needs to play more. I’m not really sure why Gudas doesn’t play more, either.

Kinda hard to assert yourself when you're only on the ice for 10 minutes per game. That's on HakTARD.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
He's the most talented defenseman on the team. Play him close to 20 minutes a night with Giroux and Couturier and you might like the results. Or don't. I like Jack Hughes too.
How about to see how he handles top competition first and then evaluate his talent?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
How about to see how he handles top competition first and then evaluate his talent?
How about we see how he handles playing with top quality teammates too?

I said most talented, not best. You want to argue he's not the best because he doesn't play, have at it. I've seen him play hundreds of games over 5 seasons now. I don't need to see anything else to evaluate him as a talent. He's incredibly gifted. It's so obvious to everyone but the caveman behind the bench.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
How about we see how he handles playing with top quality teammates too?

I said most talented, not best. You want to argue he's not the best because he doesn't play, have at it. I've seen him play hundreds of games over 5 seasons now. I don't need to see anything else to evaluate him as a talent. He's incredibly gifted. It's so obvious to everyone but the caveman behind the bench.
Yes, he's very talented but I won't take him over Provy and Ghost until he proves me wrong. I agree Hak doesn't give him a lot of chances to shine, Sanheim plays very few minutes but those are the easiest ones. I want Hak to trust him more d-zone starts but it seems we have to wait for the next coach to see it.

Doodootheclown

Oct 24, 2011
DelCo
The most frustrating part of all this, besides the Flyers not using someone who make the team better, is that Sanheim has "cleaned up" a lot of the little issues in his own zone that he was inconsistent with. He is playing assertive on offense. And he gets rewarded by getting benched. This all after he was allegedly promoted to the top 4

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

Great, when do we get to see him play against top competition so that we can evaluate his talent? I mean, he's done everything he can against the competition he's playing against, so surely he's going to get more ice time any minute now, right? Right???

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Great, when do we get to see him play against top competition so that we can evaluate his talent? I mean, he's done everything he can against the competition he's playing against, so surely he's going to get more ice time any minute now, right? Right???
What exactly he's done so far to be considered as a more talented player than Provorov and Gostisbehere?

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Talented or better? Those aren't the same thing.

And what more can he do in the paltry icetime he gets?
You're trying to drag me into nonesens. My point is that I don't think Sanheim is MORE talented than Provy or Ghost, so either you finally tell me why you don't agree with this or this conversation is going nowhere.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
You're trying to drag me into nonesens. My point is that I don't think Sanheim is MORE talented than Provy or Ghost, so either you finally tell me why you don't agree with this or this conversation is going nowhere.

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say here. Is it that somehow Sanheim has to “do something” to be “considered” more talented? Have you tried watching him, or do you not trust your scouting ability enough to arrive at these types of conclusions on your own and instead rely on consensus opinion or the finished product?

He’s the biggest of the three and is also the best skater. That alone is pretty damn significant but then his offensive skillset rivals Ghost’s and is clearly superior to Provorov’s in every way except shot. His reach allows him to play defense and break up plays along the walls in a way that Ghost will never be able to replicate. He’s going to be a monster, if only the f***ing coach would let him play.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Flyguy is coming from the perspective, which I agree with, that he has the most raw skill & ability of the three. As Jojo said, he's been watching him heavily since his years with the Hitmen, and there are only a couple people whose opinions I would trust as much as him when it comes to prospects.

If you're asking what makes any of us agree with that, I'd look at it from basic talents and attributes:
Sanheim is easily the best skater of the three, although that's not a knock to either of the others, who are very good skaters in their own right. Sanheim is just at a different level. His offensive instincts are pretty comparable to Ghost where they know exactly when to join the rush, how to get to dangerous areas and have great vision. I'd say Sanheim is better on the rush and a more dangerous passer, though. In terms of a shot, he may be the weakest, although it's not too much of a difference between any of them with how sporadic Ghost's shot has been the last year and a half. In terms of defensive skillsets, Sanheim obviously has the greatest advantage in size and reach and does well preventing zone entries. Notably, he's very good at getting the puck out of the zone and starting the play going back the other way.
This isn't a knock at any of the others, who are clearly more proven than Sanheim, but I think it's very fair to say he has the most talent of the three and has the potential to be the best if developed properly.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Surely not as much as some, but I've watched Travis since he was in the pink and black. He's the same super talented, smart player he's always been. He's been scary at every level and now showing he can in the NHL. And even though some will doubt, his D zone play isn't bad at all.
I will say he's my favorite of Flyers D. I'll also say if Fletch doesn't see him as a core piece in the future, he's a MASSIVE IDIOT.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I don’t really understand what you’re trying to say here. Is it that somehow Sanheim has to “do something” to be “considered” more talented? Have you tried watching him, or do you not trust your scouting ability enough to arrive at these types of conclusions on your own and instead rely on consensus opinion or the finished product?

He’s the biggest of the three and is also the best skater. That alone is pretty damn significant but then his offensive skillset rivals Ghost’s and is clearly superior to Provorov’s in every way except shot. His reach allows him to play defense and break up plays along the walls in a way that Ghost will never be able to replicate. He’s going to be a monster, if only the ****ing coach would let him play.
Sanheim isn't a better skater than Ghost, he's not faster and less explosive. The fact that he's taller than Provy dosen't mean anything, physically he's not even close to Ivan, I'm not even talking about defensive iq. Can he become a monster? Yes he can and I want him to, but by the pure talent he's not in a better position than the other two.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sanheim isn't a better skater than Ghost, he's not faster and less explosive. The fact that he's taller than Provy dosen't mean anything, physically he's not even close to Ivan, I'm not even talking about defensive iq. Can he become a monster? Yes he can and I want him to, but by the pure talent he's not in a better position than the other two.

:whaaa?:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad