Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Wow....wtf? Provorov has regressed this year but his season last year is something that Ghost or Sanheim haven't reached yet. Ghost is pure crap this year. His confidence is visibly shot. The PP is struggling. The coaching has these kids completely lost. They need a legit veteran dman to help guide them and get them to playing the correct minutes. They also need some size with them. Provorov and Ghost are just getting plain beat up.

I know you have to bury Ghost any chance you get, but you don't really believe this do you?

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Sanheim will be limited with any coach for now.

He'll play more minutes, but if he's not PP1, he'll only get 1 to 1.5 PP minutes, he's not going to be the first pair on the PK until he gets stronger, so another 1 minute, and other than Provorov, all the D-men play 15-16 minutes at ES.

So his ceiling is probably 18 minutes or so a night even under a new coach.
To get over 20, he would have to be PP1 and PK, that would be 4+ ST minutes a night.

Even 18 would be an acceptable improvement. But he’s around 16 a night and the bottom by way of average ice time for defenders taking a regular shift for the team.

A corollary to this is that hakstol is probably gassing provorov at this point. Maybe less shifts at even strength will allow him to get his legs under him again.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Even 18 would be an acceptable improvement. But he’s around 16 a night and the bottom by way of average ice time for defenders taking a regular shift for the team.

A corollary to this is that hakstol is probably gassing provorov at this point. Maybe less shifts at even strength will allow him to get his legs under him again.
Provorov is averaging 24:55 per game, including 1:48 on the PP.

So the common sense move would be to take him off the PP (where he sucks) and give that time to Sanheim.

That's 2 less minutes for Provorov, 2 more minutes for Sanheim, and an obvious upgrade to the PP.

EZPZ everybody wins.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

So the common sense move would be to take him off the PP (where he sucks) and give that time to Sanheim.

That's 2 less minutes for Provorov, 2 more minutes for Sanheim, and an obvious upgrade to the PP.

EZPZ everybody wins.

This is only like the 23,298th obvious move that Hakstol should have made but didn't.

Reactions: Stizzle

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

EZPZ everybody wins.

Uh, not quite, because some of those minutes are with 2 defensemen.

Ghost gets almost 4 minutes on PP1, if you want to increase Sanheims PP minutes you'll have to reduce Ghost's minutes, b/c PP1 gets about twice the minutes as PP2.

And Sanheim on the second pair isn't going to get much more than 17-18 minutes at ES.

So he's still going to be limited until he adds strength so that any coach would trust him on the PK, or protecting a lead at ES - he's still vulnerable in front of the net.

And when Myers comes up, once the new coach has confidence in him, he'll play ahead of Sanheim in those situations. Because he'll have no problem clearing the crease.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Uh, not quite, because some of those minutes are with 2 defensemen.

Ghost gets almost 4 minutes on PP1, if you want to increase Sanheims PP minutes you'll have to reduce Ghost's minutes, b/c PP1 gets about twice the minutes as PP2.

And Sanheim on the second pair isn't going to get much more than 17-18 minutes at ES.

So he's still going to be limited until he adds strength so that any coach would trust him on the PK, or protecting a lead at ES - he's still vulnerable in front of the net.

And when Myers comes up, once the new coach has confidence in him, he'll play ahead of Sanheim in those situations. Because he'll have no problem clearing the crease.

You're not making any sense. This has absolutely no bearing on giving Provorov's PP minutes to Sanheim.

This whole post is nonsensical.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
But if that's how Hakstok comes up to some conclusions too, we may have finally discovered why he's making such stupid f***ing moves

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You're not making any sense. This has absolutely no bearing on giving Provorov's PP minutes to Sanheim.

This whole post is nonsensical.

Provorov gets 1:46, Sanheim gets 0:49, but they're often paired.
So even if Sanheim simply replaces Provorov and they stick with one defenseman on the second unit, we're talking about 2 minutes total, or a little more than 1 extra minute for Sanheim.

So what do you do for a living? Hope it doesn't involve numbers. :p:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Provorov gets 1:46, Sanheim gets 0:49, but they're often paired.
So even if Sanheim simply replaces Provorov and they stick with one defenseman on the second unit, we're talking about 2 minutes total, or a little more than 1 extra minute for Sanheim.

So what do you do for a living? Hope it doesn't involve numbers. :p:

No. They weren't often paired. Sanheim straight up wasn't getting any PP minutes. That's why it's nonsense. The problem was that Sanheim wasn't even on PP2. He can't be "often paired" with Provorov when he wasn't even playing. You were lying again.

That's why your post was complete nonsense.

HART2019

Dec 15, 2018
Did it seem like Sanheim couldn't hit anyone with a pass tonight? A couple times he had to make a simple pass without any pressure on him and he just completely missed the guys stick. Just an observation.

I have been super pumped that he's getting more time with Gordon in the fold, but geez.. he kinda looked out of sorts a few times tonight. He made up for it with some good defensive plays and was awesome down low helping out Hart.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Did it seem like Sanheim couldn't hit anyone with a pass tonight? A couple times he had to make a simple pass without any pressure on him and he just completely missed the guys stick. Just an observation.

I have been super pumped that he's getting more time with Gordon in the fold, but geez.. he kinda looked out of sorts a few times tonight. He made up for it with some good defensive plays and was awesome down low helping out Hart.
There’s no way you and I were watching the same game.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I thought Provy struggled more with his passing. Sanheim had a whale of a game.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
There was a pass where Sanheim could have sprung Raffl on a shorthanded break but he missed. Other than that he was great, fantastic on the PK. Who would have ever guessed he would be a good PKer? Well, I guess most of us did.

There was a defender in between the two. Sanheim reached to get the pass by the defender the best he could. I hardly think he missed him. If Raffl picked up the pace it would have lead him perfectly.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
no one was perfect, no one made a mistake that gave away the game.they won the game and played as a team. i have nothing to complain about.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
ESPN tells me Travis played the most minutes of all dmen last night. Is this real life?
Mostly because Provy was in the box for about 12 minutes, but still a good sign. Wasn't his best game last night. He doesn't look comfortable at all on the right side. The foundation of his game is his passing and patrolling the LW boards. Tougher for him to join the rush too. Everything gets more difficult on the offside, especially when you are as tall as Travis. But he was good on the PK and in a 1 goal game, with that a lot of penalties so I guess it evened out. Who knew the tallest guy on the team who is also one of the better skaters would be useful on the PK?!

Still not sure he's a regular on either special teams unit, but he's playing and that's all that matters at this point.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Who knew the tallest guy on the team who is also one of the better skaters would be useful on the PK?!

It’s crazy. It’s almost as if his size, speed, and reach allow him to eat up a ton of ice and close down passing and shooting lanes or something. I wonder if his offensive acumen might lead to quick strike shorthanded scoring chances as well.

Such a mystery, because my understanding had been that offensively gifted defenseman suck on defense because they’re not willing put in the work to be reliable or something, and that you should bench them late in games to protect the lead and never let them PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->