Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim is faster than Ghost, but not as agile or quick. And he's not as good a passer, like TK, he's better on the move than in a "half court" set.

Sanheim is more offensively gifted than Provorov, but lacks his physicality and defensive instincts. Provorov is also a year younger and has been carrying a much bigger load for years.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
More than ever, I'm convinced that this board is a portal connecting two parallel universes and that we're not all watching the same team. There's simply no other explanation for such a horrendously bad take.

All he has to do is watch Ghost try to catch Wheeler in that Jets game. Sanheim is cleary faster. Smoother stride and longer legs. He chews up ice easily.

His speed is fine though, especially WITH the puck, but he lost a bit of explosiveness when he hurt his knee. I also think his stride isn't ideal for generating the most speed possible for someone his size. It reminds me of my stride, which isn't great lol.

Reactions: Peter Man

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim will be limited with any coach for now.

He'll play more minutes, but if he's not PP1, he'll only get 1 to 1.5 PP minutes, he's not going to be the first pair on the PK until he gets stronger, so another 1 minute, and other than Provorov, all the D-men play 15-16 minutes at ES.

So his ceiling is probably 18 minutes or so a night even under a new coach.
To get over 20, he would have to be PP1 and PK, that would be 4+ ST minutes a night.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sanheim will be limited with any coach for now.

He'll play more minutes, but if he's not PP1, he'll only get 1 to 1.5 PP minutes, he's not going to be the first pair on the PK until he gets stronger, so another 1 minute, and other than Provorov, all the D-men play 15-16 minutes at ES.

So his ceiling is probably 18 minutes or so a night even under a new coach.
To get over 20, he would have to be PP1 and PK, that would be 4+ ST minutes a night.

Are you trying to pretend that Hakstol's usage of the roster is its ideal usage?

It's hilarious that you're talking about PP1. Your boy won't even put him on PP2 despite that being a clearly good idea, and it being a good idea all year. Let's start with the very obvious move of putting him on the second unit at least. Why you ignore that option is beyond me. Oh right, your need to pretend Hakstol has no choice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, I'm doing basic arithmetic, something that might be over your head.
If Provorov is the first pair, D-man, then Sanheim is at best second pair.
If Ghost is PP1, then Sanheim is at best PP2.
If Provorov is 1st pair PK, then Sanheim is at best PK2.

Go to the corner and figure it out.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Sanheim’s the anti-Hak defenseman and he won’t see appropriate ice time until a coaching change is made.

Hakstol’s wet dream is 6 Shea Webers cleaning up around the crease and blasting point shots all day in the offensive zone. He doesn’t see the utility in defensemen who can lead the rush and create space for chances closer to the net.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Where does playing MacDonald for 20 minutes factor into your cherry picked math? That's a ton of time that should be going to Sanheim. Their roles should be reversed, and doing so would be immediately beneficial to the entire team.

Gee I wonder why you left that out?

FlyOrange

Dec 16, 2018
New York City
Sanheim might be one of the few bright spot on this team at the moment. There is definitely a small but noticeable uptick in his play. He is certainly playing more chippy and skating with purpose instead of being a little "weak on the puck" like last year.

While I don't think he will be ever be defensively sound enough to be a Ryan McDonagh as he was projected, if he can be a Kim Johnsson pt.2 with little more offense, I'll take it.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

Im going to qualify this by saying provy is a beast and our #1 defenseman. But he's limited as a ppqb and shaking up special teams is something that needs to be done.
While i don't think sanheim could surpass ghost in this area putting sanheim on a pp that already features g could be advantageous. Frankly the provy led 2nd unit has been a deadzone for too long.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Im going to qualify this by saying provy is a beast and our #1 defenseman. But he's limited as a ppqb and shaking up special teams is something that needs to be done.
While i don't think sanheim could surpass ghost in this area putting sanheim on a pp that already features g could be advantageous. Frankly the provy led 2nd unit has been a deadzone for too long.

Provorov is not our #1. He is crazy overrated on these boards. Ghost and Sanheim are both better than him.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Provorov is now a bad player in the same way that Giroux was done after his injury, like Ghost was after his bad performance that same year, like Konecny was when in the bottom 6, like Couturier was when he was just a 3C that had no offense, like Patrick is while being misused, and like Lindblom is on the 4th line... do I need to keep going? Or do we get the point that making stupid shortsighted comments about temporarily struggling players is a bad idea?

When will people learn to look at the big picture? When will I stop seeing these posts? Ever? Please?

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Provorov is not our #1. He is crazy overrated on these boards. Ghost and Sanheim are both better than him.

Wow....wtf? Provorov has regressed this year but his season last year is something that Ghost or Sanheim haven't reached yet. Ghost is pure crap this year. His confidence is visibly shot. The PP is struggling. The coaching has these kids completely lost. They need a legit veteran dman to help guide them and get them to playing the correct minutes. They also need some size with them. Provorov and Ghost are just getting plain beat up.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Provorov is now a bad player in the same way that Giroux was done after his injury, like Ghost was after his bad performance that same year, like Konecny was when in the bottom 6, like Couturier was when he was just a 3C that had no offense, like Patrick is while being misused, and like Lindblom is on the 4th line... do I need to keep going? Or do we get the point that making stupid shortsighted comments about temporarily struggling players is a bad idea?

When will people learn to look at the big picture? When will I stop seeing these posts? Ever? Please?

Hatcher burner account

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad