Friedman: Travis Dermott very likely to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Dermott overpaid? What lol

He's a bottom pairing defenseman with potential to move up into a top 4 role. He's stagnated in Toronto and been passed up by Sandin/Liljergen. A fresh start might be what he needs to take the next step
This is his 5th season in the NHL and he has worked his way “down” to the 8th spot on the Leafs defense. He has a wage that cannot be 100% buried.
If a team has several injuries I can see a 6th rounder maybe. Possibly he just bounces on waivers from team to team.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
The Leafs have a lot of options for the 5/6/7 roles on defense and for whatever reason the coaching staff doesn't seem high on Dermott. I still like him though, I think he could be a fine bottom pair guy for awhile, maybe even 2nd pair if he improves a bit.
He has all the tools. Just does dumb shite sometimes like turn the puck over doing a spinorama in overtime in the playoffs. He needs to get stronger and work on his positioning.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
This is his 5th season in the NHL and he has worked his way “down” to the 8th spot on the Leafs defense. He has a wage that cannot be 100% buried.
If a team has several injuries I can see a 6th rounder maybe. Possibly he just bounces on waivers from team to team.
I don't expect him to return anything meaningful, but he's a bottom pair defensemen being paid 1.5 million, which is a bottom pair salary. That's not overpaid

He's 8th on our chart because the leafs have great depth at the position now. The emergence of Sandin/Liljergen have made him expendable

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This is news. Travis has been rumoured to be traded since the day he was born.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Dermott is underrated, but understandably will be unfortunately traded by the leafs because of the cap situation.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
And to think we could have had MacKenzie Weegar for Johnsson and this bum. My god Dubass is the worst GM in the national league and it’s not even close. Complete fraud.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
A few years back, I randomly got the chance to chat with one of the most respected execs in the game about all things hockey (excuse me for my weirdly vague/coy, non-namedropping; he's an active exec, so I feel like I'm telling tales out of school haha. Feel free to call BS haha), and we touched on the state of the Leafs D.

I noted in passing how Dermott should become a decent top-4 guy in a year or two, not even thinking that was at all a controversial thing to suggest, and I'll never forget how his face suddenly scrunched up and he went "Dermott? Really?"

I started watching Dermott a little closer ever since and it was almost as if my eyes had been opened by a true prophet haha.

I still think he's a solid 3rd-pairing guy, and at an okay cap hit, but he just seems to fall apart every time he's given top-4 minutes (plus some notable failings in the playoffs)... The gap between facing 3rd-4th liners vs top-6 forwards can be stark.

Maybe he'll prove me (and that exec!) wrong if handed a proper run in a top-4 somewhere, but I won't be too bothered if/when he's shipped out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hierso

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I hope that's a joke.

Well he DID say "++" so it all depends what that ++ is, doesn't it?

Dermott plus a 1st and prospect Roni Hirvonen, for example, is not nothing. It may or may not be enough, but that's for Toronto & Anaheim to decide.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Good.

This Leafs fan has considered Dermott expendable for a while now. There's a reason he's in a ton of Leafs proposals. He's not terrible, he's just not a fit. He could seriously be a big win for the team he lands with.

Would happily add to him to land Giordano from Seattle.
I feel like he's just a victim of how draft picks fell. He's a 2nd rounder so we knew it would take awhile, 2 first round d picks later there is no chance he ever plays.

He could come back to bite us but I doubt it. Hunter was the most overrated head scout in our history.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
Unless he is traded for a Dman I dont see the sense.
Never have enuff D come play offs

Reactions: Ciao

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Fact he is a healthy scratch on that blue line would concern me a lot if I was a GM.

I guess for a late pick? Wouldn't make sense for Toronto to shed D depth for a late pick in a year where they want to compete for the cup, but it would allow them to have a bit more space (1.5 M) next year and for a deadline rental?

Anyways, I think the return would be weak.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Once again, fans have no idea what they are talking about. Dermott is a good dman. Just because he isn't a top pairing D doesn't mean he is a cap dump or sucks. He will be one of those elite #5 dmen, ok #4 D for a team for years. Just so happens, Toronto has Rielly, Brodie, and Muzzin in the top 4 and Dermott is competing with Holl who has played there successfully and is playing well after his rough first half of the season, Bush who brings an element of physicality we need, and two rookie dmen who are shining and looking for bigger roles themselves.

Dermott is just more of the same for us hence he is the odd man out. Like others have said, any team middle of the pack or under, he will be a significant add to your defense for cheap. Don't let the trolls tell you otherwise. Toronto's defense is excellent, the underlying numbers prove it. Dermott will be a nice add for a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad