Friedman: Travis Dermott very likely to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I agree with you on a lot of things, but I really disagree with a short-term quick-fix like Gio.

Yesterday is gone. I would much rather that what the Leafs do today builds for tomorrow. If that means playing a younger defenceman who has not yet succeeded in a role Gio is intended to fill, then let's try the younger players and see what they can do.

I am so sick and tired of the Toronto Maple Leafs pursuing older players whose best years were spent elsewhere. I wish they would develop their own stars, in the regular season and in the playoffs as well.

No more retreads like Owen Nolan, Brian Leetch, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Wayne Simmonds and you name it.

Not-quite-over-the-hill John Tavares and very-much-over-the-hill Jason Spezza probably also fall in or near this category as well, although I have a hypocritical soft spot for both of them. Tavares came here in his prime, and helped establish the Leafs as a desirable free-agent destination. Spezza is still highly talented although very worn -- like your uncle's 1982 BMW with 500,000 clicks that is in perfect condition -- and he is the salt of the Earth playing on the most team-friendly contract possible just for the love of the game. They both win my heart, but truthfully I would still rather see younger, homegrown emergent stars.

This sounds absurd, but give me Travis Dermott's future over Mark Giordano's past. Now and tomorrow.

Oh, I’m not overly enthused about Gio as the big add. Wouldn’t be too upset as I think he is an upgrade, but I’d prefer someone young with term.

Just pointing out the reality of our cap situation to that poster.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There is no cap accumulation on LTIR, so ya Muzzin would have to miss the next 5-6 weeks In The season.
If you remove Dermott and Clifford, those salaries put you below the 81.5 overage, so no longer accumulating as much.

It’s not accumulating at all, but the cap space is additive. There is 3.7 remaining from Muzzins full cap hit, removing Clifford’s and Dermotts 2.5 total will bring up the cap space to 6.2 for the deadline. However that’s 6.2 non-accumulating and non-pro-rated cap space so the entire seasons cap hit is added. In this scenario the Leafs are still 500k shy of Gios full hit.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It does.. but in this market; think Seattle would be hunting for a 1st or at the very least , decent prospect.

On its face... Dermott isn't bad value on the "walking UFA" I'd add a 2nd or 3rd probably too - But a first or top end prospect is a bit too rich.
Hunting? Gio said he only wants to play for TO, no?

Reactions: TheGroceryStick

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Reports suggest Dubas is not willing to part with our 1st for a pure rental. Dermott + 2nd + a little ?
I don’t know what that does for the Kraken. The individual value of the pieces might be close, but the Kraken have Olesiak, Dunn, Soucy, Fluery, Borgan and Lauzon. What would they do with Dermott? What does he add they they don’t already have? Another 5/6/7 dman, a late 2nd and a little, would not be the deal I would be after. If you can’t get an asset you don’t already have than you go after the highest pick available, and a late 2nd is pretty underwhelming.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It’s not accumulating at all, but the cap space is additive. There is 3.7 remaining from Muzzins full cap hit, removing Clifford’s and Dermotts 2.5 total will bring up the cap space to 6.2 for the deadline. However that’s 6.2 non-accumulating and non-pro-rated cap space so the entire seasons cap hit is added. In this scenario the Leafs are still 500k shy of Gios full hit.
I think , cliffords and Dermotts cap hit will be subtracted from the LTIR space currently being used, maybe someone can confirm this.
Eg. Muzzin cap hit 5.65 million
If 1.65 million under cap, before Muzzin goes on LTIR, then LTIR room is Muzzin cap minus 1.65 million. So 4 million of LTIR room.
Removing a player, removes that cap hit from the 4 million, not adding to it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I think , cliffords and Dermotts cap hit will be subtracted from the LTIR space currently being used, maybe someone can confirm this.
Eg. Muzzin cap hit 5.65 million
If 1.65 million under cap, before Muzzin goes on LTIR, then LTIR room is Muzzin cap minus 1.65 million. So 4 million of LTIR room.
Removing a player, removes that cap hit from the 4 million, not adding to it.

Nope, at the time the player is placed on LTIR the amount the player is owed, less the remaining cap space, is the number you can use to exceed the cap.

The Leafs paper trailed their way to within 30k of the cap I believe so they are able to the exceed the cap Muzzins entire 5.65 mill less 30k.

After Muzzin was placed on LTIR the Leafs have called up players to carry a full 23 man roster which is why it is only 3.7 now. But any additional salary off the books will add to that 3.7 for available room.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Yesterday is gone. I would much rather that what the Leafs do today builds for tomorrow. If that means playing a younger defenceman who has not yet succeeded in a role Gio is intended to fill, then let's try the younger players and see what they can do.

So just keep building for the future? When does the future become the present? They have their stars in their prime so they need to take advantage of that, not worry about developing other young players for some undetermined day in the future.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

I think this is 100% correct.

But if Seattle retains some $$, then do the Leafs not have less to deal with?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Nope, at the time the player is placed on LTIR the amount the player is owed, less the remaining cap space, is the number you can use to exceed the cap.

The Leafs paper trailed their way to within 30k of the cap I believe so they are able to the exceed the cap Muzzins entire 5.65 mill less 30k.

After Muzzin was placed on LTIR the Leafs have called up players to carry a full 23 man roster which is why it is only 3.7 now. But any additional salary off the books will add to that 3.7 for available room.
Point 1 and 2 taken exactly from my example, so not sure why you said nope. When in fact you repeated what I wrote. So we agree there, since you just reworded it.

Point 3 - Any additional salary allows you to use the 3.7 million, not add to it.
In your example at 23 man roster, no one can be added, so need to drop a player, which subtracts that cap from the 3.7, then you can add ,a player of value of what’s left at TDL, to get back to 23 man.

Of course this also assumes Muzzin misses the next 5 weeks, if he doesn’t then, there is less money obviously.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So just keep building for the future? When does the future become the present? They have their stars in their prime so they need to take advantage of that, not worry about developing other young players for some undetermined day in the future.

Except it's the stars who keep f***ing this up, not the supporting cast necessarily. I'd be perfectly fine with Leafs standing pat and seeing if Matthews, Marner, and co have grown up a bit since last season's pathetic choke job.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The future becomes the present when I stop watching hockey. I want every game, and every season, to be better than the last.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Dermott is a solid two way 3rd pairing defenceman that can fill in occasionally in the top 4. He is error prone at times but at his age, he should continue to develop better habits over time.

As others have mentioned, there just isn't a permanent role available for him on a healthy Leafs blueline anymore, so it's best for both parties to move on.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Point 1 and 2 taken exactly from my example, so not sure why you said nope. When in fact you repeated what I wrote. So we agree there, since you just reworded it.

Point 3 - Any additional salary allows you to use the 3.7 million, not add to it.
In your example at 23 man roster, no one can be added, so need to drop a player, which subtracts that cap from the 3.7, then you can add ,a player of value of what’s left at TDL, to get back to 23 man.

Of course this also assumes Muzzin misses the next 5 weeks, if he doesn’t then, there is less money obviously.

If Muzzin is out until playoffs, the Leafs cap ceiling is, for all intents and purposes, essentially 81.5 + 5.62 for ~87 total including Muzzins 5.65. Now the Leafs get to pick whichever combination of players they choose to reach that 87 total, again including Muzzins cap hit. So as of right now they are operating 3.7 mill shy of thay, or 83.3 mill. If they subtract Dermott and Clifford’s 2.5 they will be using 80.8 of the allowable 87 and have roughly 6 mill of full season cap space to add a player.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If Muzzin is out until playoffs, the Leafs cap ceiling is, for all intents and purposes, essentially 81.5 + 5.62 for ~87 total including Muzzins 5.65. Now the Leafs get to pick whichever combination of players they choose to reach that 87 total, again including Muzzins cap hit. So as of right now they are operating 3.7 mill shy of thay, or 83.3 mill. If they subtract Dermott and Clifford’s 2.5 they will be using 80.8 of the allowable 87 and have roughly 6 mill of full season cap space to add a player.
Like I said, that works if Muzzin is out until playoffs start, no one knows that, and if doctors give him the a-ok, then he is likely a week away.
Nice you agree with how the cap works at least, since you keep using the same type of example I used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad