Friedman: Travis Dermott very likely to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Seattle’s head coach was Toronto’s defencman coach the previous couple seasons. I don’t really know if that is a positive or a negative for Dermott lol
I would be very surprised if Seattle wanted Dermott. In 20-21 Dermott's TOI/GP under Hakstol was 13:13 and they were heavily sheltered minutes. Justin Holl, by contrast, played 21:04 per game matched against the other teams' top lines.

Reactions: Kurtz

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think if there's any player you'd want to bet on doing well in a change of scenary - dermott would be it. I wouldn't be surprised if he flourished into a top 4 dman on another team

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Gio for Dermott and late pick I think is a win-win.
could likely cost Leafs some more than that
they'll need retention against Gio's >$6M Cap Hit
that adds to price, some buyers/contenders wouldn't need retention

Dermott is Leafs 7th D (just passed Muzzin in GP during Muzz's latest IR).
Vatrano, a depth F, but with 10 goals scored, only brought a 4th

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
With these TDL prices should at least return a 1st rounder.
:laugh: Honestly you're not wrong. Gio with retention + 1st ? :sarcasm:

Just no room for Dermott, he had a lot of potential but dunno he could never figure it out. He can be a fine bottom pairing guy, but there's a solid 7 players ahead of him on the depth chart. Rielly/Brodie/Lyubushkin/Holl/Sandin/Lily/Muzzin when he comes back

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Seattle isn't trading their captain for a guy who is barely above what you find on the waiver wire. They are loaded with depth guys, they need quality. They'll trade Gio for futures and hope they pan out better than Dermott.

He won't be Leafs captain and it could be that Seattle might not want him to be the captain, thus the trade talk. Plus due to his M-NTC, there are only 19 possible destinations, some not even playoff teams. So it's not like they're selling the Hope Diamond and have 1000 bidders.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I remember when he was touted as a future top pairing Dman. Classic :laugh:
I remember when you invaded our PGT but were complaining about people invading your PGT, unlike the claim you just made that was a very real memory. Anyways we had high hopes for him but no one thought he'd be a 1st pairing guy, top 4 seemed very reasonable though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I mean, we certainly think that coaching is one of the reasons we are bad. So yes, agreed.

yeah you dont have a good head coach, hell he is not a good assistant.

Say what you want about a guy like Mike Babcock but he is a damn good coach

you should have went with him.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Arizona for their 3rd or 4th makes sense. Still have to ice a team post deadline and next year, and he expires to RFA so if he flourishes with more opportunity there's the chance for a very real benefit to the rebuild.

Also they can afford it with 8 picks in the first 2 rounds, before Chychrun is dealt.

Could also be straight up for rental Larsson.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Arizona for their 3rd or 4th makes sense. Still have to ice a team post deadline and next year, and he expires to RFA so if he flourishes with more opportunity there's the chance for a very real benefit to the rebuild.

Also they can afford it with 8 picks in the first 2 rounds, before Chychrun is dealt.

Could also be straight up for rental Larsson.

Dermott is not THAT bad

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Montreal would make sense if they move Kulak. Our young D prospects aren't ready. Give him 19-20 a night, his stats increase, flip him at next years deadline.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Rielly's extension kicks in next year so that's 2.5m used up out of that extra 5.2m.
The arithmetic being used around the boards and I’m sure similarly on the front office is the $1.2m kessel retention and the $1m cap bump account for Riellys raise. Well all but 300k of it.
Clearing out dermott’s 1.5 would cover the rest and allow enough left over for liljegren and Sandin to get marginal bumps in short term bridge deals.

Reactions: Smif

DarylO

Jun 16, 2011
Lindsay, ON
2nd rounder should be enough. Would be a pretty good buy-low option on a 3rd pair guy who can spot in on second pair and has some potential still to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad