Friedman: Travis Dermott very likely to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I feel like Dermott has been on the trading block his whole career. Gotta be a tough situation to develop in
Yup. Dude came into the league and was an insta good bottom pairing dman. He's been a great #5 dman for like 5 years and is still only 25. Buy low options for teams right here. He's cheap, can play both sides and has a little snarl to him. I'd rather keep him but I think the Leafs have like 8 NHL bodies on the backend.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Not sure where some of these guys learned math but Toronto doesn't have Gio money , Dermot has $330.645 left on his cap hit for this year and Gio has $1,487,903 left , those numbers are with 41 days left as of tomorrow . The Leafs are already into Muzzins LTIR money by 1,905,834 so they can't bring Muzzin back before the playoffs as is , Dermott's chump change doesn't do anywhere near enough to get them under even if they accepted picks for him , let alone taking on a salary . Thats the real problem with Toronto's cap structure , they can't just move players one for one , all the players they can trade are playing at or near league minimum , they need to move out 4 players to cover one hit like Gio .

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Not sure where some of these guys learned math but Toronto doesn't have Gio money , Dermot has $330.645 left on his cap hit for this year and Gio has $1,487,903 left , those numbers are with 41 days left as of tomorrow . The Leafs are already into Muzzins LTIR money by 1,905,834 so they can't bring Muzzin back before the playoffs as is , Dermott's chump change doesn't do anywhere near enough to get them under even if they accepted picks for him , let alone taking on a salary . Thats the real problem with Toronto's cap structure , they can't just move players one for one , all the players they can trade are playing at or near league minimum , they need to move out 4 players to cover one hit like Gio .

According to Capfriendly, the Leafs have 3,719 in cap space as it is. If Dermott is traded, they have 4M. But to use LTIR cap relief, the incoming player's entire salary counts against the cap, not just the pro-rated amount based on how much season is left. So Seattle would have to retain around 40% of Gio's salary. Not saying I want the deal to happen, but the point is, it could easily work out.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

3.7 mill with 23 man roster, including Dermotts 1.5 out that is 5.2 + another 1 mill when Clifford is sent to the minors.

We are looking at 6.2 mill with the caveat that LTIR room is the full cap and not pro-rated.

Gio could fit with minimal retention by Seattle who is not a cap team, Gio is a pending UFA and is only owed ~1.6 mill.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Unless he is traded for a Dman I dont see the sense.
Never have enuff D come play offs
I agree.

It doesn't make much sense to trade your seventh defenceman if you're loading up for the playoffs, unless a better defenceman is coming in.

Travis Dermott is a serviceable NHL-calibre defenceman who is useful to the Leafs; and who would be useful to any other NHL team as well.

Here I note that a seventh like Dermott is very useful because he is one or two injuries or suspensions away from being your fifth or sixth, both of which Dermott is quite capable of as well.

Reactions: Brad C

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
3.7 mill with 23 man roster, including Dermotts 1.5 out that is 5.2 + another 1 mill when Clifford is sent to the minors.

We are looking at 6.2 mill with the caveat that LTIR room is the full cap and not pro-rated.

Gio could fit with minimal retention by Seattle who is not a cap team, Gio is a pending UFA and is only owed ~1.6 mill.
No your not because we need Muzzin back and thats where our LTIR money is coming from and Dermott is only owed 330k not 1.5 million off the cap and Clifford is only owed about 220k their relief is pro-rated the same as the incoming hit , salary divided by 186 days then multiplied by number of days remaining in the season which is 41 as of tomorrow . The 3.7 is Muzzins salary minus the 1.9 we are already using as LTIR so Muzzin can't come back before the playoffs without dumping that 1.9 pro-rated as well of course , cap is calculated daily and there isn't anything in the bank so to speak so it's all on Muzzins salary .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
According to Capfriendly, the Leafs have 3,719 in cap space as it is. If Dermott is traded, they have 4M. But to use LTIR cap relief, the incoming player's entire salary counts against the cap, not just the pro-rated amount based on how much season is left. So Seattle would have to retain around 40% of Gio's salary. Not saying I want the deal to happen, but the point is, it could easily work out.
read above that 3.7 is the balance of Muzzins LTIR which means Muzzin can't come back before the Playoffs without dumping the 1.9 we are currently using . Not having Muzzin in the lineup and back up to NHL game speed before opening night game one of the playoffs is not going to be offset by having Gio , It's an either or situation thanks to our afu cap structure .

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
No your not because we need Muzzin back and thats where our LTIR money is coming from and Dermott is only owed 330k not 1.5 million off the cap and Clifford is only owed about 220k their relief is pro-rated the same as the incoming hit , salary divided by 186 days then multiplied by number of days remaining in the season which is 41 as of tomorrow . The 3.7 is Muzzins salary minus the 1.9 we are already using as LTIR so Muzzin can't come back before the playoffs without dumping that 1.9 pro-rated as well of course , cap is calculated daily and there isn't anything in the bank so to speak so it's all on Muzzins salary .

Muzzin sidelined until playoffs, that’s already been pretty clear by the Leafs recent comments about him taking a step back in recovery. No cap in the playoffs so he can be activated without any cap implications for game 1.

Once you are operating in LTIR, pro-rated cap hits no longer apply and you operate at full value.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

I agree with you on a lot of things, but I really disagree with a short-term quick-fix like Gio.

Yesterday is gone. I would much rather that what the Leafs do today builds for tomorrow. If that means playing a younger defenceman who has not yet succeeded in a role Gio is intended to fill, then let's try the younger players and see what they can do.

I am so sick and tired of the Toronto Maple Leafs pursuing older players whose best years were spent elsewhere. I wish they would develop their own stars, in the regular season and in the playoffs as well.

No more retreads like Owen Nolan, Brian Leetch, Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Wayne Simmonds and you name it.

Not-quite-over-the-hill John Tavares and very-much-over-the-hill Jason Spezza probably also fall in or near this category as well, although I have a hypocritical soft spot for both of them. Tavares came here in his prime, and helped establish the Leafs as a desirable free-agent destination. Spezza is still highly talented although very worn -- like your uncle's 1982 BMW with 500,000 clicks that is in perfect condition -- and he is the salt of the Earth playing on the most team-friendly contract possible just for the love of the game. They both win my heart, but truthfully I would still rather see younger, homegrown emergent stars.

This sounds absurd, but give me Travis Dermott's future over Mark Giordano's past. Now and tomorrow.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Gio could fit with minimal retention by Seattle who is not a cap team, Gio is a pending UFA and is only owed ~1.6 m
There is no cap accumulation on LTIR, so ya Muzzin would have to miss the next 5-6 weeks In The season.
If you remove Dermott and Clifford, those salaries put you below the 81.5 overage, so no longer accumulating as much.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I remember Leafs fans saying this guy was their future #1 D. Good times
I don't remember that at all.

However, I'm just an old Leafs fan following them since I moved to Toronto in 1980, and now that I have more time I watch almost every game.

Even at that, I probably don't think about the Toronto Maple Leafs even half as much as you do. You may have caught something I missed, and I would be interested to see some of those posts saying Dermott would be the Leafs #1 D.

Who knows -- maybe one of them is mine? If so, I still don't remember that because it hasn't been a prevailing thought ever since I can remember.

I have always thought -- and still think-- that Travis Dermott is a very good player.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
read above that 3.7 is the balance of Muzzins LTIR which means Muzzin can't come back before the Playoffs without dumping the 1.9 we are currently using . Not having Muzzin in the lineup and back up to NHL game speed before opening night game one of the playoffs is not going to be offset by having Gio , It's an either or situation thanks to our afu cap structure .

Nah. Him coming back will be a massive help. :)

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I remember Leafs fans saying this guy was their future #1 D. Good times
You have a pretty shit memory then, there were never any expectations like that on him. I do remember victor Mete being bandied about here as some hot shit can’t miss prospect though and now he’s on waivers in Ottawa

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
No chance I trade a 25 year old Dermott for a 38 year old Giordano. Dermott might not look like much right now but sometimes it takes time to develop. It’s not always a straight line In Development.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No chance I trade a 25 year old Dermott for a 38 year old Giordano. Dermott might not look like much right now but sometimes it takes time to develop. It’s not always a straight line In Development.
Hes in his D+7 year and put up 5 points this season. I'm not sure how much developing he still has lol.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I feel like Dermott has been on the trading block his whole career. Gotta be a tough situation to develop in
Are you kidding? There was a time where Leafs fans were militant about keeping Dermott. I was told numerous times that he was going to be a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad