Friedman: Travis Dermott very likely to be traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Good.

This Leafs fan has considered Dermott expendable for a while now. There's a reason he's in a ton of Leafs proposals. He's not terrible, he's just not a fit. He could seriously be a big win for the team he lands with.

Would happily add to him to land Giordano from Seattle.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

CanHeDoIt99

Mar 14, 2022
Useful player - Sandin and Liljegren have taken a step though so hes in tough to get minutes. I assume it will be a mid-late round pick or something they get as Dubas tries to do right by his guys and give them a chance elsewhere like Leivo/others.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Seattle isn't trading their captain for a guy who is barely above what you find on the waiver wire. They are loaded with depth guys, they need quality. They'll trade Gio for futures and hope they pan out better than Dermott.

Soucy and Gio will likely be dealt, leaving them a hole on left D.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I think given his age Dermott could be a little bit of nice spice in a package or get a late 2nd. GMs overpay for ‘youth and potential’ all the time.

He does everything well, but nothing at a next level, though at the same time he isn’t really weak in any areas, and sadly he’s undersized for the position. He’s a #5-6 guy who can spot fill higher up, but you don’t want him permanently in the top four.

He could become something more or flourish next to the right partner, but I’m just not seeing it.

Last edited:

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Definitely not, but who cares. Happens all the time with every team in the league.

The hope for him was always a puck-moving 2nd pairing D. He can still get there, but it's looking less likely now. Maybe someone on this board got a little too exuberant in their expectations once upon a time, but that would be an outlier.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Or maybe a bad player on an expiring contract and a mid rounder

Change the prospect to Mete. I've been thinking 3rd or 4th + Mete for Dermott makes sense for a while. I wouldnt give up Reinhardt or Daoust on top of a 3rd, could see the organization doing it depending on how DJ feels about Dermott, though.
We have no use for mete, how about aspirot?

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
said on the Jeff Markek show today that Travis Dermott is very likely to be traded regardless of what else the Leafs do.

We have all heard the rumors of Giordano wanting to come home and I think that is where this is going and I would not have an issue with it for a couple reasons.

1 even at his advanced age Giordano is still better than Dermott and anything that makes Toronto better is a good deal.

but also it would clear 1.5 million off the cap going forward

between Ritchie< Dermott and Kessel coming off the books thats an extra 5.2 million to work with in the off season so if you want to look at it from a future standpoint there are positives there as well.

I am not suggesting Dermott for Giordano straight up but I do think if Giordano comes to Toronto Dermott is in that deal.
Rielly's extension kicks in next year so that's 2.5m used up out of that extra 5.2m.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seattle’s head coach was Toronto’s defencman coach the previous couple seasons. I don’t really know if that is a positive or a negative for Dermott lol
That explains why Seattle is so bad defensively.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Dermott is a solid hockey player who absolutely has the tools to be a top4 defenseman. It's a shame he never developed into that here in Toronto, but clearly he needs a change of scenery at this point. I always believed in him; it just never materialized. I don't expect to get much in return for him, but he's a decent player and I wish him the best. Watching him break into the league was a lot of fun.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
After seeing the prices for other players.

I'd hope for at least a third + a C+ level prospect or a throw-in for a better player.

A place like Ottawa would be a good spot for him. He's better than what they currently have , Mete/Brown/Holden. He's young and fits their time frame and is cost controlled for Melnyk.

Dermott for an early 3rd and Reinhardt/D'aoust
Dermott for Anton Forsberg might be the basis for a win-win trade.

Reactions: ITM

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Dermott is a solid hockey player who absolutely has the tools to be a top4 defenseman. It's a shame he never developed into that here in Toronto, but clearly he needs a change of scenery at this point. I always believed in him; it just never materialized. I don't expect to get much in return for him, but he's a decent player and I wish him the best. Watching him break into the league was a lot of fun.
If he was a right shot Dman I think it would have been a different story for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad