Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If Backes were to be outplayed during training camp by every other forward who is is seriously in the running for a roster spot, then he should still get a spot?

I think they pick the team in August. This coach and GM don't seem to look at training camp as a tryout. It's more of a warm up for the season. We've seen guys come in and have great camps only to start the season in Providence while guys who were less impressive are on the opening night roster. Heinen outplayed DeBrusk during JDB's rookie year camp and Heino got sent to Providence. Vatrano had a great camp the year he got traded, but was buried on the 4th line or a healthy scratch...

All that said, it hasn't really hurt them. They may lose a player or two who are decent NHL'ers but I don't think they're losing sleep over letting Vatrano or maybe a Cehlarik go. And getting sent down doesn't mean you won't get back up. Heinen played great and came back up. Gryz, Clifton and Kuhlman earned their way back up with strong play, and they have to be happy with their decision to show faith in DeBrusk.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Makes little sense to send Backes to AHL - Boston would only save 1 million in cap, therefore, not worth it.

I don't look at it as a cap saving I look at it as a spot wasted. Backes was a bad idea from day 1, let's not keep kicking that can down the road. If he doesn't deserve a spot then he doesn't get one , plain and simple. Everyone else has to earn their spot. The fact that he's sucking up 6M cap space and has contributed precious little to this team is bad enough. I really hope he will have to earn his spot like everyone else and not just be handed one. If he doesn't cut it, he goes to Providence. Not for cap saving but to develop someone who will eventually help this team.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So who's battling for the 2nd line RW spot with Debrusk and Krejci?

I've heard good things about Steen, does he slot in there? Senyshyn? Or is it basically just Kuhlman and Backes like last year?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm fully on board with the Grz -- McAvoy pairing. Of course you have to wonder about the wear and tare aspect on Grz being a smaller guy, but I think they can manage that, like splitting some of that time with Chara ( situational stuff like defensive draws near the end of a period/game ). This was the year I was hoping they would go to that pairing and this most recent game against the Blackhawks, I thought they looked dynamic.

Forwards: Bjork seems like a lock. I think the other RW spot is down to Steen or Kulhman and based on Cassidy's recent comments, he favors Kulhman.

Gaunce is winning me over little by little. I would prefer him over Lindholm ( who's not bad, but just very bland ).

Reactions: bbfan419

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'm fully on board with the Grz -- McAvoy pairing. Of course you have to wonder about the wear and tare aspect on Grz being a smaller guy, but I think they can manage that, like splitting some of that time with Chara ( situational stuff like defensive draws near the end of a period/game ). This was the year I was hoping they would go to that pairing and this most recent game against the Blackhawks, I thought they looked dynamic.

Forwards: Bjork seems like a lock. I think the other RW spot is down to Steen or Kulhman and based on Cassidy's recent comments, he favors Kulhman.

Gaunce is winning me over little by little. I would prefer him over Lindholm ( who's not bad, but just very bland ).
While I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of playing Matt Grzelcyk 20+ minutes per night on a Cup contender, I'm even less inclined to do so during a contract year.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Should be cuts today
Vladar, Sherman Lantosi, Asselin, ,Fitzgerald, Shen to Providence
Carey,Legace and Didier waivers then Providence
Andersson and Lauko are still up in the air
Senyshyn, Lauzon, Zboril, Zech Vaakanainen, Frederic, Studnicka, Steen Blidh,Keyser survive today but through slow attrition will be gone this time next week
They kick the Backes,Ritchie Lindholm can down the road another week...

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
So who's battling for the 2nd line RW spot with Debrusk and Krejci?

I've heard good things about Steen, does he slot in there? Senyshyn? Or is it basically just Kuhlman and Backes like last year?

Kuhlman probably gets first crack. Thought I heard Bruce mention Ritchie during an interview recently too, but I maybe a misheard what he said.

I'd like to see Seny get a look at some point (if Khulman does work).

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The Bruins would never do that to a vet like Backes, never, not to keep Ritchie or Lindholm. Backes is a better player than both those guys and he has tremendous respect in the dressing room, to demote him would do enormous damage to the dressing room between management and players, they won’t go there.

If I may borrow the line above from you

The Bruins would never do that without first talking to Bergeron and Chara. If they have their support, they'll have the support from the rest of the players. Bergeron and Chara are smart enough to know whats going on.

I think management knows the sensitivity surrounding such a decision and they'd involve the two leaders.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Should be cuts today
Senyshyn, Lauzon, Zboril, Zech Vaakanainen, Frederic, Studnicka, Steen Blidh,Keyser survive today but through slow attrition will be gone this time next week

I'm going to take a stab at it and say QMJHL for both.

Then both contracts slide. Why burn a year of their ELC?

That's how I would look at it anyway.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

I think like last year you sneak in a few extra shifts for McAvoy and Gryz in at the expense of Chara and Clifton/Miller. I think you do it even more this year.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I'm going to take a stab at it and say QMJHL for both.

Then both contracts slide. Why burn a year of their ELC?

That's how I would look at it anyway.
That and they have the eligibility so why not use it,Ive heard there's all kinds of Kung Fu fighting internally with Andersson as there's the possibility he goes back home to play,maybe we find out today

Reactions: Spooner st

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
While I'm not all that thrilled with the idea of playing Matt Grzelcyk 20+ minutes per night on a Cup contender, I'm even less inclined to do so during a contract year.

I'd think it would work out well splitting time with Chara/Carlo as it keeps Z's minutes down which will pay off in the long run.

But your spot on with the contract year. If Matt does well at that spot he will earn himself quite the pay raise.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
They have the numbers to make a trade. Surplus of NHL players at forward and on defense. Kuhlman hasn't lit up that 2RW spot in camp so far either.

Are there any rumblings they're in talks with anyone? You can't keep 15 forwards and 10 defensemen.
David Backes, Peter Cehlarik, and a 4th round pick... For Viktor Rask!

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Makes little sense to send Backes to AHL - Boston would only save 1 million in cap, therefore, not worth it.
It makes sense not just for the bit of cap savings, but also to get Backes off the NHL roster, the guy is cooked and it gives a spot to someone younger and more deserving at this point. Backes may also get fed up and realize the writing is on the wall and just retire.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I agree and think Jack is being groomed to take over at C someday.

Of course that's the plan, but they've taken guys before and had them play wing in order to get experience. Kind of surpassed that's not an option with Jack.

Maybe its them trying to push him. Jack's been saying since he was drafted that every year his goal was top make the Bruins.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Of course that's the plan, but they've taken guys before and had them play wing in order to get experience. Kind of surpassed that's not an option with Jack.

Maybe its them trying to push him. Jack's been saying since he was drafted that every year his goal was top make the Bruins.

Yeah it's interesting. Do you have him learn to play against NHL talent in a simpler role, or do you have him learn how to play center the way the Bruins want against lessor talent and then ask him to kick it up a notch.

I wonder if they are hoping that he can force his way on to the roster later in the season with strong play at C down in Providence and then move Coyle over to Krejci's RW. If thats the case, they would probably be more concerned with his defensive game and playing C like they want to in the system...which means getting reps in Providence might be the move.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
The Bruins would never do that to a vet like Backes, never, not to keep Ritchie or Lindholm. Backes is a better player than both those guys and he has tremendous respect in the dressing room, to demote him would do enormous damage to the dressing room between management and players, they won’t go there.
Players know it's a business not a social club.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Agreed, but he won’t be outplayed by the likes of Ritchie and Lindholm. So as I said you don’t demote a vet like Backes, just doesn’t happen regardless of what some on HF think and believe.
I sincerely hope the management/coaching staff does what it needs to do to have the best possible roster, with the best supporting cast, regardless of the status of players.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Should be cuts today

I agree...add Cehlarik to the "kick the" tires...

Add in the fact the bruins will also be watching additional waiver opportunities.

Bruins are definitely not short on available talent at bottom half forward / top end d group. It's a good problem to have.

Something has to give so the next few weeks will be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad