Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
only preseason game I saw this was yesterday’s.

Defense bubble: Both Zboril and Clifton had similar games. A lot of good plays and saluting with the puck, each had a couple bad decisions with the puck. Zboril is really smooth out there, he took a few tough passes from teammates with ease. Any other year he’d make the team as the extra D out of camp but I think due to injuries at forward we will be sent down.

Forward bubble: Kuhlman right now is the best RW option for the second line. Still think he’s ideally a third liner and would look great there. Eventually we’ll see that with Steen, senyshyn, and Bjork probably all getting s chance with Krejci atsome point. Bjork wasn’t great yesterday. No problem sending him down. He reaches for the puck too much. He just needs a run of health. Probably first injury call up at wing. Ritchie, with his number and size at first glance you think it was Horton out there until he takes some strides. I don’t see it untapped potential there but it was worth a shot. My guess is he swaps in for Backes early in, but is sent down once everyone is healthy. Hughes, has a quiet game. Lindholm, Looks like expected. He was brought in as kuraly/Nordstrom insurance and thats what he will be.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I doubt that. He is an UFA at the end of the season. If the Devils fall out the race at that time I wouldn't be surprised if his asking price was a little lower.

A Hall rental would make any bubble team a cup contender. He is a Hart winner and one of the best LWs in the game right now. Even for a few months as a rental, he could get the Devils a nice package.

This is all assuming he does not resign with NJ.

Think Mark Stone.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Why should Ritchie have any rope at all (to use your metaphor)?

Reasons not having to do with what we see?

Perhaps management made him a promise to give him a legitimate shot at the RW spot. Then all this odd maneuvering would make sense.
Could be that he is a Neely special. Could be something we do not know that my tinfoil hat is not picking up.

To me, its obvious they are giving Ritchie every chance to succeed over other more deserving candidates for SOME reason they are not speaking of.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I doubt that. He is an UFA at the end of the season. If the Devils fall out the race at that time I wouldn't be surprised if his asking price was a little lower.
I doubt it’s gonna be a b level prospect and 1st rounder regardless of UFA status. I fully expect Hall will be signed in jersey. But there is no way they are trading him without a top 6 young forward plus A prospect and picks or top 4 young dman +(prospects and picks) coming back so you can damn well bet it’s going to start with Debrusk, or Carlo at minimum. Unless you want to trade pasta ? Just not the kind of deal you make at trade deadline. I’d expect if they for some reason trade Hall it’s happening before Xmas and team he is going to will want to extend him. (Which of course jersey will want as well to get more value)

Not to knock Stone but he was in a unique situation in Ottawa with their ownership, and a 25 goal 60 point guy.

Hall has been nearly a PPG player with 2- 80+ seasons, and an Hart. Just because jersey stole him from Edmonton does not mean they will let him walk for peanuts.

Boston would also need to move Backes contract + so I would think your looking at something like Backes, Carlo, Debrusk maybe more for an extended Hall if you want a realistic shot at Hall.

Last edited:

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
A Hall rental would make any bubble team a cup contender. He is a Hart winner and one of the best LWs in the game right now. Even for a few months as a rental, he could get the Devils a nice package.

This is all assuming he does not resign with NJ.

Think Mark Stone.
Mark Stone went for the equivalent of Vaakanainen. Also he has some injury concerns to him which may drive his price down.
I doubt it’s gonna be a b level prospect and 1st rounder regardless of UFA status. I fully expect Hall will be signed in jersey. But there is no way they are trading him without a top 6 young forward plus A prospect and picks or top 4 young dman +(prospects and picks) coming back so you can damn well bet it’s going to start with Debrusk, or Carlo at minimum. Unless you want to trade pasta ? Just not the kind of deal you make at trade deadline. I’d expect if they for some reason trade Hall it’s happening before Xmas and team he is going to will want to extend him. (Which of course jersey will want as well to get more value)

Not to knock Stone but he was in a unique situation in Ottawa with their ownership, and a 25 goal 60 point guy.

Hall has been nearly a PPG player with 2- 80+ seasons, and an Hart. Just because jersey stole him from Edmonton does not mean they will let him walk for peanuts.

Boston would also need to move Backes contract + so I would think your looking at something like Backes, Carlo, Debrusk maybe more for an extended Hall if you want a realistic shot at Hall.
They wouldn't need to move the Backes contract to get Hall. Over the season they will save money because of players going to the IR. I would not be surprised if they have 10 million or more at the deadline of salary that they can take. Also Pasta has been the superior player between the 2 in the last 3 years.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Mark Stone went for the equivalent of Vaakanainen. Also he has some injury concerns to him which may drive his price down.

They wouldn't need to move the Backes contract to get Hall. Over the season they will save money because of players going to the IR. I would not be surprised if they have 10 million or more at the deadline of salary that they can take.

Will be interesting to see if that happens.

I expect Boston to once again be active at the trade deadline.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006

They wouldn't need to move the Backes contract to get Hall. Over the season they will save money because of players going to the IR. I would not be surprised if they have 10 million or more at the deadline of salary that they can take. Also Pasta has been the superior player between the 2 in the last 3 years.
No chance in hell is hall being traded at the deadline for “Vaakanainen.” If he is traded it’s long before the deadline, and it will be an extended Hall. Stone situation was unique with ownership in Ottawa. You don’t save /accrue cap space from players on IR, different if your under cap in real cap space, but yes if they were under the cap in real cap space for most of the year at that the deadline they can take a big contract, but Jersey is not waiting until the deadline if they trade Hall. It’s easy name a 27 year old player with a hart trophy, regardless of contract, that has been nearly PPG player for their career that has ever been traded for a non roster prospect player. It doesn’t happen, and it’s nothing more than fantasy to think it will.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Nice to dream of Hall but he is reportedly close to a deal with Jersey.
https://www.tsn.ca/taylor-hall-new-jersey-devils-making-progress-on-new-deal-1.1370742

Wagner, Kuraly and soon as Nordy is ready that is your fourth line for the year. Why mess with perfection, they can all PK. That is something the other bubble guys cannot do or do not have the trust of Cassidy.

Pasta played 2 pre-season game and lead the team in points with 6, next was DeBrusk with 5 and Coyle with 4. Then Krug and Marshy with 3 pts in 2 games and Backes and Steen each with 3 pts in 3 games according to Fox news
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/boston-bruins-team-stats?season=2019&category=SCORING&time=1

Steen/Bjork and Backes to me, deserve a look at the start of the year. If Bjork goes down but it will probably be Kuhlman and Backes. Lindholm may have to fill in for 3rd line 'C' if Krech is out and Coyle moves up. All this till Nordy and Krech gets back, that's when it will get interesting.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It’s easy name a 27 year old player with a hart trophy, regardless of contract, that has been nearly PPG player for their career that has ever been traded for a non roster prospect player.
Jumbo wasn't traded for a non-roster player, though he most certainly was traded for absolute garbage, 45 pts per season Marco being an overall good dude not withstanding.

Actually, Jagr's trade to the Caps fits your premise perfectly. He was traded for three non-big club roster players, one of whom was a bit like Vaak.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Nice to dream of Hall but he is reportedly close to a deal with Jersey.
https://www.tsn.ca/taylor-hall-new-jersey-devils-making-progress-on-new-deal-1.1370742

Wagner, Kuraly and soon as Nordy is ready that is your fourth line for the year. Why mess with perfection, they can all PK. That is something the other bubble guys cannot do or do not have the trust of Cassidy.

Pasta played 2 pre-season game and lead the team in points with 6, next was DeBrusk with 5 and Coyle with 4. Then Krug and Marshy with 3 pts in 2 games and Backes and Steen each with 3 pts in 3 games according to Fox news
https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/boston-bruins-team-stats?season=2019&category=SCORING&time=1

Steen/Bjork and Backes to me, deserve a look at the start of the year. If Bjork goes down but it will probably be Kuhlman and Backes. Lindholm may have to fill in for 3rd line 'C' if Krech is out and Coyle moves up. All this till Nordy and Krech gets back, that's when it will get interesting.

I'll believe the Hall extension when I see it. The Skinner contract is the starting point, and can't see the Devils giving him 10+ per year. He's had one MVP season and hasn't scored 30 one other time.

Reactions: bbfan419

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Over the season they will save money because of players going to the IR.

I believe the cap doesn't work this way. LTIR allows you to go over the cap, but it doesn't bank.

From CapFriendly:

When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit. The amount of relief that the club receives is calculated on the day the player is placed on LTIR.

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I want names of the people in the front office who voted Ritchie over Bjork.

I would like this list notarized, and I'd like them to stand in front of a jury of their peers.
I’d guess ???

Cam suggested him

We know it wasn’t Axelsson

Doesn’t seem like a Sweeney type of move

Sweeney would cut his loss quicker than he would cut Cam’s loss

I’m open minded - 27 games 1/3 season is Black Friday

Going with

Ritchie clears waivers and is in Providence

Bjork regular in Boston

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Jumbo wasn't traded for a non-roster player, though he most certainly was traded for absolute garbage, 45 pts per season Marco being an overall good dude not withstanding.

Actually, Jagr's trade to the Caps fits your premise perfectly. He was traded for three non-big club roster players, one of whom was a bit like Vaak.
Jagr was 29, and had 20.7M dollars owned to him over two seasons when most teams weren’t spending over 40 M a year on entire roster, and the pens were in financial trouble. Completely different situation. Would be more like Hall having a 15M salary right now on Phoenix.

And no it wasn’t a great trade for Thornton but it was three rosters players including a 25 goal man in his prime, and upcoming dman probably as much or more upside as Carlo at the time, and big 3/4th line center. Sturm had done more in NHL than Debrusk has. So Yep we could have got more, but was it more than a prospect... absolutely.

Last edited:

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Jagr was 29, and had 20.7M dollars owned to him over two seasons when most teams weren’t spending over 40 M a year on entire roster, and the pens were in financial trouble. Completely different situation. Would be more like Hall having a 15M salary right now on Phoenix.

And no it wasn’t a great trade for Thornton but it was three rosters players including a 25 goal man in his prime, and upcoming dman probably as much or more upside as Carlo at the time, and big 3/4th line center. Sturm had done more in NHL than Debrusk has. So Yep we could have got more, but was it more than a prospect... absolutely.
Yeah, I guess I'll have to take the L. There is no way I'm finding another Hart winner who was traded at exactly age 27, has the same contract situation as Hall and returned exactly one prospect in return.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yeah, I guess I'll have to take the L. There is no way I'm finding another Hart winner who was traded at exactly age 27, has the same contract situation as Hall and returned exactly one prospect in return.

Well, no two situations are exactly alike which is why it is silly state categorically that something will or will not happen. If the Devils are in a position to lose Hall for nothing, they might indeed take a high end prospect and let the buying team sort out the contract mess. Stranger things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad