Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of Kuhlman in our top 6. I hope he makes me eat crow, but I really think we need to address this.
Luckily, we have a lot of internal kid options to keep trying until Don can get us more of a permanent fix.
I'd be shocked that by Christmas if we haven't seen all of Pasta, Kuhlman, Bjork, Backes, Senyshyn, and Heinen all on that line for some games.
Gryz/Lauzon + Celharik +2nd for Josh Anderson..........that would be nice

While kuhlman isn’t an ideal 2nd line RW. It’s much better than the revolving door of players who struggled all last year.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
When you realize the Bruins defense lost 141 games between Chara 20, McAvoy 28, Krug 18, Grzelcyk 16, Carlo 10 and Miller 49. On top of that Moore was also injured for a while. Just forgot him. Sorry but it's pretty incredible. Maybe we best keep all just in case. Injuries likely to happen and Millier and Moore already missing at least first quarter of the season. Good fortune the Bruins have depth

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I think we all can agree Cehlarik is toast here
And Senyshyn being injured killed any opportunity he might have had
So its 7 players for 5 roster spots,Backes, Gaunce,Ritchie, Lindholm, Wagner, Kuraly and Nordstrom
When the music stops 2 will not have chairs

I think you're right however the final preseason games are going to be a war. Some really strong play/showings from almost all the invites. Very impressive to say the least.

I still maintain Bjork will be in the bruins line up however will start the season in Providence as the bruins try and sort out log jam.

I would think Ritchie is let go soon.

With Backes in early preseason games i'm guessing the bruins are evaluating him. How does he compare against older prospects? I still say the writing is on the wall for Backes. A trip to Providence may end his career.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
When you realize the Bruins defense lost 141 games between Chara 20, McAvoy 28, Krug 18, Grzelcyk 16, Carlo 10 and Miller 49. On top of that Moore was also injured for a while. Just forgot him. Sorry but it's pretty incredible. Maybe we best keep all just in case. Injuries likely to happen and Millier and Moore already missing at least first quarter of the season. Good fortune the Bruins have depth

It's really impressive - the bruins are loaded with quality D men. This is why one or more bubble prospects + a Backes must be moved for a quality winger to play along side Krejci.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Not only does it make total sense but I got a funny feeling , contrary to what many here believe, I think Ritchie is going to be given every chance to win that 2RW opening.

Whether he actually wins it is another matter but I think he'll be given every chance. How long that last remains to be seen, but I think he's gonna get the chance.

There is a log jam on the 4th line , I don't think that is where he ends up.

He's going to be given a chance to win a job where there is a void, not where there is a log jam. Think 2nd or 3rd line.

They didn't sign him to a 1M contract to play in Providence or sit in Boston. That is ridiculous, They already have Backes for that, yet almost every opening night roster posted here does not include Ritchie. Kinda reminds me of last off season when almost nobody included Moore on there opening night roster.
Not sure yet about 2RW, Imo i think they'll go into the season
and will still interchange from bottom 6. To see what clicks.
Not the ideal solution to play with the 4th line. But early in the season there's nothing wrong with experimenting until the right pieces fall into place.
At worst they can always go back to Nordstrom/Kuraly/Wagner.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
What bruins prospects or players on the bubble will need to clear waivers in order to be sent to Providence?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
They didn't sign him to a 1M contract to play in Providence or sit in Boston. That is ridiculous, They already have Backes for that, yet almost every opening night roster posted here does not include Ritchie. Kinda reminds me of last off season when almost nobody included Moore on there opening night roster.

i'm not sure what to think of ritchie at this point. they have been skating him on krejci's RW
for a lot of the practices, from what i recall. agree though, they likely see him as part of the
solution somewhere (i have no idea where, still don't get the signing to be honest).

as for moore, in all fairness, he was really the #7 last year when everyone was healthy.
the only reason he played opening night was because krug was injured. obviously moore
is not a #7 defenseman, but he chose to sign with a team that's pretty deep.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
i'm not sure what to think of ritchie at this point. they have been skating him on krejci's RW
for a lot of the practices, from what i recall. agree though, they likely see him as part of the
solution somewhere (i have no idea where, still don't get the signing to be honest).

I wonder whether the signing of Ritchie was Neely’s influence. I can see him wanting a big body/physical presence as a forward. (The Backes and Rinaldo acquisitions may also have been influenced by Neely.)

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Ritchie clear waiver dude?

Cassidy had good things to say about Didier...he had an impressive long stretch pass tape to tape to Cehlarik on the Cehlarik goal.

Where the heck did he come from?
Came from a very deep AHL Champion Charlotte Checkers team,he also won a NCAA title with Denver,wore an A their
He's the type of player they gravitate to

Reactions: Blowfish

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Speedy Connor Clifton looks for room with Bruins - The Boston Globe

For now, Clifton should not be going anywhere. If he doesn’t tie down the third pairing spot with Grzelcyk, his work in the playoffs probably has earned him the No. 7 slot on the blue line brigade, living the NHL life, filling in as needed.

“He was always competitive, but I think he feels more confident, engaging physically,” said Cassidy. “I think he’s always been a guy who’ll take the puck and go. Now he’s picking his spots better . . . if he can grow his offensive game, work on his shot to score goals, because he does get in good positions . . . I think that will benefit him. At the end of the day, I think he keeps growing with what he does best, which is be assertive, and we just try to minimize his risk.”

Training camp wraps up next weekend. Only a week remains for Cassidy & Co. to sort out the prospects and identify the pieces for the new season. Count on Clifton to keep banging on the door, and along the boards.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

as for moore, in all fairness, he was really the #7 last year when everyone was healthy.
the only reason he played opening night was because krug was injured. obviously moore
is not a #7 defenseman, but he chose to sign with a team that's pretty deep.

I noticed that too, what's more is that it didn't surprise me. And I don't think it's insignificant.

The signing of Moore confused me a lot Moore than the signing of Ritchie TBH.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I wonder whether the signing of Ritchie was Neely’s influence. I can see him wanting a big body/physical presence as a forward. (The Backes and Rinaldo acquisitions may also have been influenced by Neely.)
Neely only influences the failures according to HFBruins, so of course he'd be the reason they traded for Rinaldo, a dude Neely would have ripped the face off of back when he was playing.

I'm just glad Sweeney was allowed the freedom from Neely's incessant meddling long enough to trade for Coyle last season.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Speedy Connor Clifton looks for room with Bruins - The Boston Globe

For now, Clifton should not be going anywhere. If he doesn’t tie down the third pairing spot with Grzelcyk, his work in the playoffs probably has earned him the No. 7 slot on the blue line brigade, living the NHL life, filling in as needed.

“He was always competitive, but I think he feels more confident, engaging physically,” said Cassidy. “I think he’s always been a guy who’ll take the puck and go. Now he’s picking his spots better . . . if he can grow his offensive game, work on his shot to score goals, because he does get in good positions . . . I think that will benefit him. At the end of the day, I think he keeps growing with what he does best, which is be assertive, and we just try to minimize his risk.”

Training camp wraps up next weekend. Only a week remains for Cassidy & Co. to sort out the prospects and identify the pieces for the new season. Count on Clifton to keep banging on the door, and along the boards.

Clifton's a lock on the 3rd D pair for me, at least initially while Moore and Miller are injured, and a long-term keeper for the Bs. The risk/reward point mentioned here is important - coaching Cliffy is a lot about keeping and supporting his unique energy and enthusiasm and offensive forays while making sure he also sticks to his duties and makes sensible plays on D. He mostly managed that in the playoffs pretty well so I'm confident he'll continue in the same vein this season.

With a few guys like him continuing to step up and stand out we have enough spare depth, both up forward - Cehlarik, perhaps Backes, maybe one or two others - and particularly down back, to perhaps put together the change that adds up to a valuable 2RW in exchange. The trick is to get the combination right - what exactly can we offer that we're comfortable with, perhaps with a draft pick on the side, which will be of interest to other teams to the point that they're willing to give up a top 6 forward?

It's difficult though. If I were a GM I'd be really wary of trading a genuine top-6 performer for even multiple fringe players who may or may not deliver. And of course there's the cap to consider. But perhaps there is a suitable winger out there who just isn't quite gelling with his current squad or wants to move on, which might make a trade more appealing for both the player and his front office for the right price. The search continues.

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Like I said, I don't see a hole here.
And I agree.
But i really think Management and Coaching staff will try to spread and mix up the bottom 6 and see it they can find alternatives.

Cassidy did say he wants at some point try Coyle next to Krejci for playoffs purposes.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Perhaps, we shall see. The Bruins had one of the best 4th lines in the NHL last year.Especially in the PO's. Why are they fixing what is not broken? Because Accari is gone? Nordy, Kuraly and Wagner don't need fixing. If that is the strategy it's not a good one.

Ritchie has played one Pre-season game. I thought he played well, actually better than most that night. I'm neutral here, I'm talking logic. I don't come with a pre-concieved opinion like many here do, one of the benefits of being unfamiliar with this player. I don't see Kuhlman as the 2RW. We saw that last year, some games he's amazing , some games he's invisible. Over 82 games I fear we'll see more of the latter than the former. Now Ritchie may be no better but I won't knock him until there is something to knock, I haven't seen that yet. Judging him in Pre-season drills is like judging a player using advanced stats. There aren't any cones in a hockey game.

Your not wrong. We have not seen much of Ritchie, so a judgement would be pre-mature. Kuhlman, IMO, is not the solution at 2RW. But he is the best option outside of Bjork(that Coyle line was great, dont break that up.)
My judgement on Ritchi is based off of what we have seen. He is, like Gaunce, a player with pedegree. He is also the player with the most NHL games under his belt of the new guys. So I expect him to stand out like Bjork or Kuraly in his playing time. So far the only time I notice him on the ice is along the boards.

Too early to assign a grade, but its not looking like he will bump anyone if this continues.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BruinsNetwork

If Ritchie can come in and contribute while finding his stride again, I'd be happy to see it. However, the thought of Ritchie, Wagner and various others getting forced into roles that they just aren't capable of is making me want to stress-eat Five Guys for the next two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad