Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by talkinaway, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlayMakers

PlayMakers Moderator

Real Estate Developer
    Do you think of Kuhlman as one of those guys being forced into a role he’s not quite capable of?

I think he worked, at times, on that line because he’s fast and so much of DeBrusk’s game is off the rush but I think he’s exposed when they try to get sustained pressure in the offensive zone. He reminds me more of a third line talent; a good, high energy, high character winger but lacking the creativity to be a real top6 forward. Maybe he takes a step toward that this year, but IMO he’s been pretty bland in camp and was a non factor in the Philly game the other night.

I also find it interesting that our 3rd line wingers are more “talented” than our second line winger. With all these bodies in camp, I really wish they’d try some different combinations while the games are meaningless.

2. BruinsNetwork

BruinsNetwork Registered User

I don't think Kuhlman is someone who would be "forced" into that role, to be honest. A lot of my reasoning is pretty similar to your sin that he has the speed, skill and tenacity to keep up with both of the players on his wing. Ideally, he's a third-line RW or center, IMO, but I think he's capable of being next to DeBrusk and Krejci. DeBrusk and Kuhlman compliment each other very well, as we saw against Columbus.

When I speak of "forced" players, I mean the regular, run of the mill bottom-six guys on the roster who have no business being higher than L4. I think Kuhlman's potential is a solid, high-octane, fast middle-six winger in the NHL. He's not flashy, but he's unreal on the forecheck, has a hell of a shot and just plays north-to-south with both speed and skill. He doesn't try and play out of his comfort zone and knows his limits, which also makes him safe option in the middle-six I think.

I don't see him as a top-six forward, but I think a middle-six forward for the second or third-line is a pretty fair projection for him. As you said, his creativity isn't there to be a top-six forward, but the other elements can definitely get him into the middle-six while being successful.

JOKER 192, Aussie Bruin, BMC and 3 others like this.
  3. neelynugs

neelynugs Registered User

nice to see steen making an impact early on. i would expect he'll end up in providence,
    but will be surprised if he doesn't get a bunch of NHL games this year. the one concern
    i would have is: what is he? a winger or a center? the path to opportunity seems bigger
    on the wing, but he seems to fancy himself as more of a center. that's where jay leach
    and his staff will step in and evaluate.

4. bbfan419

bbfan419 Registered User

I would keep Gaunce up and put Backes on waivers, maybe by some miracle he gets claimed, most likely ends up in the AHL or he could just retire.

5. Absurdity

Absurdity light switch connoisseur

Coyle at RW

6. bob27

bob27 Recall Steen

It's rare for a talented center to not be able to play as a winger. Would be impressive if he can play in the NHL as a top-9 center though. His all-around game is strong enough that I have hard time seeing him not having a decent NHL career at some capacity.

7. Blowfish

Blowfish Registered User

Cassidy had good things to say about after last game...he certainly didn't look out of place.

8. Smitty93

Smitty93 Registered User

I wasn't a fan of Cassidy when they decided to bump him up, but he's grown on me and proven my doubts to be wrong.

That being said, one of my biggest frustrations with him is his forward combinations. He'll try almost anything with the back of his line-up, but he basically refuses to try anything different for the top two lines. It's Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, and DeBrusk-Krejci, as long as they're all healthy.

We know that Marchand and Bergeron play well with almost anyone, but that line struggled 5-on-5 last year, especially in the playoffs, so why not give Pastrnak a serious try with Krejci, and then test every one of the young guys as the RW on the 1st line to see what works best. We know the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak is always there if they need them. If you're not going to try something different during training camp, when are you going to do it?

With Coyle, the 3rd line was a disaster until they brought him in last year. I love Kuraly, but he shouldn't be your 3rd line center. It doesn't seem like anyone else is ready for that spot, so don't mess with it.

9. slim399

slim399 Registered User

student
    Home Page:
    Love seeing Vaak get some time with Chara.

I like the three lines but with Wagner-Kuraly-Backes being the teams 4th line.

No idea who could fill in the third line...

Heinen-Studnicka-Steen- would be solid. But both kids I’m sure are heading to the AHL and Coyle will be 3C

bbfan419 likes this.
  10. Estlin

Estlin Registered User

I really want to see Bjork and Pastrnak as the top two RWs. Bjork, if I recall correctly, has played mostly RW, anyway. I’d have Senyshyn as the third-line RW and think that he could do well there with Heinen and Coyle. Kuhlman can rotate on the fourth line. This way, the top three lines (if Pastrnak is on the second line) each has a shooter: Marchand, Pastrnak and Senyshyn.

bbfan419 likes this.
  11. neelynugs

i'm with you, and have been a bjork fan for a long time. he's a long-term fixture in the top 9
    for me. as for the RW vs LW, he can play both, but sweeney said something about wanting to
    use him on the LW this camp (maybe with regards to all the injuries - i cannot recall exactly -
    perhaps someone can find the exact quote).

Estlin likes this.
  12. Twisted Tales

Twisted Tales H.A.M.

Makes little sense to send Backes to AHL - Boston would only save 1 million in cap, therefore, not worth it.

13. BMC

BMC Per Johan Axelsson Sponsor

I wish I could like this post 10,000 times.

I can see it coming, Coyle will end up on Krejci's wing because Cassidy won't give up his binky line of Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak if nobody else claims the 2RW spot. IIRC when the trade was made some Wild posters commented that Coyle was yanked between center and wing which contributed to his struggles there. Leave him at 3C and Kuraly at 4C.

bbfan419 and Aussie Bruin like this.
  14. Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric Registered User

Makes tons of sense if they feel Lindholm and Ritchie are the better choices for the 13 and 14th forwards
    Unless there's an injury or a trade someone or two is getting waived,why can't it be him?

Bodit9, Blowfish, bbfan419 and 3 others like this.
  15. neelynugs

1 million is still 1 million more than they'd have if backes is on the team.
    who knows, maybe he wouldn't report? i'd be surprised if he's not the extra
    forward but we'll see.

16. Spooner st

Spooner st Registered User Sponsor

You're missing the point.

bbfan419 likes this.
  17. OneManIsNoMan

OneManIsNoMan Registered User

Interesting to here Bruce basically say that Studnicka on the wing is not an option.

bbfan419 likes this.
  18. Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin Registered User

It's definitely a concern but I do think that Cassidy likes a line that works. If Coyle/Heinen/Bjork (or whoever winds up here) produces the goods consistently on the 3rd line then he'll be very reluctant to break it up just to try and solve another issue. Ideally you don't reduce a strength to try and fix a weakness elsewhere. I think (hope?) Butch is very aware of that. Of course if the 3rd doesn't turn out as anticipated then things become much more fluid and we may see some more movement across the whole middle 6. But hopefully 1, 3 & 4 can get settled pretty quickly and then there's really only 1 spot that needs to be pinned down.

That's why I'd rather see Pasta stay on the 1st and Bjork probably start on the 3rd - despite its injury-affected struggles in the SCF the top line does the job most of the time, the 4th is strong, and many of us seem to share the hope that we've potentially found a good 3rd combination with Bjork joining that line. So stick with those, as long as they produce, and accept that your 2RW is not going to be any 1 of those 9 players. That way you get 3 quality set lines and at the very least you known that Jake and Krejci will give you something even if their other winger isn't quite up to scratch.

bbfan419 and BMC like this.
  19. Dizzay

Dizzay Registered User

I'd rather have Ritchie on the roster especially with Miller out, only leaves Chara to deal with guys who take liberties. At least Ritchie on the 4th can stick up for the boys instead of our 42 year old captain who's on our 1st pair

20. BBB24

BBB24 Registered User

The Bruins would never do that to a vet like Backes, never, not to keep Ritchie or Lindholm. Backes is a better player than both those guys and he has tremendous respect in the dressing room, to demote him would do enormous damage to the dressing room between management and players, they won’t go there.

Alan Ryan and AngryMilkcrates like this.
  21. Estlin

Estlin Registered User

If Backes were to be outplayed during training camp by every other forward who is seriously in the running for a roster spot, then he should still get a spot?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  22. BBB24

BBB24 Registered User

Agreed, but he won’t be outplayed by the likes of Ritchie and Lindholm. So as I said you don’t demote a vet like Backes, just doesn’t happen regardless of what some on HF think and believe.

23. Saxon Eric

Saxon Eric Registered User

We'll find out soon enough

24. Mission ImPastable

Mission ImPastable Registered User

After tonight's game Steen is ahead of Backes, Ritchie and even Kuhlman. Guy reminds me of Gallagher a bit. Pesky guy who has a high motor and is around the puck. Steen is not the biggest guy but Bradon Point is 166 lbs at least Steen is 188 lbs. Gaunce has also outplayed those guys from what I have seen. Keyser has been excellent so far in net, Dom nailed this one.

Bodit9, Spooner st, Blowfish and 2 others like this.
  25. PlayMakers

PlayMakers Moderator

Real Estate Developer
    They have the numbers to make a trade. Surplus of NHL players at forward and on defense. Kuhlman hasn't lit up that 2RW spot in camp so far either.

Are there any rumblings they're in talks with anyone? You can't keep 15 forwards and 10 defensemen.

Spooner st, Blowfish and bbfan419 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.