Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
If Ritchie can come in and contribute while finding his stride again, I'd be happy to see it. However, the thought of Ritchie, Wagner and various others getting forced into roles that they just aren't capable of is making me want to stress-eat Five Guys for the next two weeks.
Do you think of Kuhlman as one of those guys being forced into a role he’s not quite capable of?

I think he worked, at times, on that line because he’s fast and so much of DeBrusk’s game is off the rush but I think he’s exposed when they try to get sustained pressure in the offensive zone. He reminds me more of a third line talent; a good, high energy, high character winger but lacking the creativity to be a real top6 forward. Maybe he takes a step toward that this year, but IMO he’s been pretty bland in camp and was a non factor in the Philly game the other night.

I also find it interesting that our 3rd line wingers are more “talented” than our second line winger. With all these bodies in camp, I really wish they’d try some different combinations while the games are meaningless.

BruinsNetwork

Do you think of Kuhlman as one of those guys being forced into a role he’s not quite capable of?

I think of him as a third line talent, a good, high energy, high character winger but think he lacks the creativity to be a real top6 forward.

I think he works on that line because he’s fast and so much of DeBrusk’s game is off the rush but I think he’s exposed when they try to get sustained pressure in the offensive zone.

It’s unusual for a team’s 3rd line wingers to be more “talented” than a second line winger. I really wish they’d try some different combinations while the games are meaningless.

I don't think Kuhlman is someone who would be "forced" into that role, to be honest. A lot of my reasoning is pretty similar to your sin that he has the speed, skill and tenacity to keep up with both of the players on his wing. Ideally, he's a third-line RW or center, IMO, but I think he's capable of being next to DeBrusk and Krejci. DeBrusk and Kuhlman compliment each other very well, as we saw against Columbus.

When I speak of "forced" players, I mean the regular, run of the mill bottom-six guys on the roster who have no business being higher than L4. I think Kuhlman's potential is a solid, high-octane, fast middle-six winger in the NHL. He's not flashy, but he's unreal on the forecheck, has a hell of a shot and just plays north-to-south with both speed and skill. He doesn't try and play out of his comfort zone and knows his limits, which also makes him safe option in the middle-six I think.

I don't see him as a top-six forward, but I think a middle-six forward for the second or third-line is a pretty fair projection for him. As you said, his creativity isn't there to be a top-six forward, but the other elements can definitely get him into the middle-six while being successful.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Bruins forward Oskar Steen shines in preseason loss to Devils

But Swedish forward Oskar Steen, who was without question Boston's best forward in their preseason-opening overtime loss to the Devils on Monday night, might have the tools to make things interesting.

nice to see steen making an impact early on. i would expect he'll end up in providence,
but will be surprised if he doesn't get a bunch of NHL games this year. the one concern
i would have is: what is he? a winger or a center? the path to opportunity seems bigger
on the wing, but he seems to fancy himself as more of a center. that's where jay leach
and his staff will step in and evaluate.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
This is the link for the B’s waiver exempt players:

Waivers Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Gaunce and Blidh would both have to clear (and probably will).

Gaunce has been better than I expected, and definitely better than Backes or Ritchie.
I would keep Gaunce up and put Backes on waivers, maybe by some miracle he gets claimed, most likely ends up in the AHL or he could just retire.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
nice to see steen making an impact early on. i would expect he'll end up in providence,
but will be surprised if he doesn't get a bunch of NHL games this year. the one concern
i would have is: what is he? a winger or a center? the path to opportunity seems bigger
on the wing, but he seems to fancy himself as more of a center. that's where jay leach
and his staff will step in and evaluate.

It's rare for a talented center to not be able to play as a winger. Would be impressive if he can play in the NHL as a top-9 center though. His all-around game is strong enough that I have hard time seeing him not having a decent NHL career at some capacity.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Coyle at RW

I wasn't a fan of Cassidy when they decided to bump him up, but he's grown on me and proven my doubts to be wrong.

That being said, one of my biggest frustrations with him is his forward combinations. He'll try almost anything with the back of his line-up, but he basically refuses to try anything different for the top two lines. It's Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, and DeBrusk-Krejci, as long as they're all healthy.

We know that Marchand and Bergeron play well with almost anyone, but that line struggled 5-on-5 last year, especially in the playoffs, so why not give Pastrnak a serious try with Krejci, and then test every one of the young guys as the RW on the 1st line to see what works best. We know the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak is always there if they need them. If you're not going to try something different during training camp, when are you going to do it?

With Coyle, the 3rd line was a disaster until they brought him in last year. I love Kuraly, but he shouldn't be your 3rd line center. It doesn't seem like anyone else is ready for that spot, so don't mess with it.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Love seeing Vaak get some time with Chara.

I like the three lines but with Wagner-Kuraly-Backes being the teams 4th line.

No idea who could fill in the third line...

Heinen-Studnicka-Steen- would be solid. But both kids I’m sure are heading to the AHL and Coyle will be 3C

Reactions: bbfan419

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I also find it interesting that our 3rd line wingers are more “talented” than our second line winger. With all these bodies in camp, I really wish they’d try some different combinations while the games are meaningless.

I really want to see Bjork and Pastrnak as the top two RWs. Bjork, if I recall correctly, has played mostly RW, anyway. I’d have Senyshyn as the third-line RW and think that he could do well there with Heinen and Coyle. Kuhlman can rotate on the fourth line. This way, the top three lines (if Pastrnak is on the second line) each has a shooter: Marchand, Pastrnak and Senyshyn.

Reactions: bbfan419

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I really want to see Bjork and Pastrnak as the top two RWs. Bjork, if I recall correctly, has played mostly RW, anyway. I’d have Senyshyn as the third-line RW and think that he could do well there with Heinen and Coyle. Kuhlman can rotate on the fourth line. This way, the top three lines (if Pastrnak is on the second line) each has a shooter: Marchand, Pastrnak and Senyshyn.

i'm with you, and have been a bjork fan for a long time. he's a long-term fixture in the top 9
for me. as for the RW vs LW, he can play both, but sweeney said something about wanting to
use him on the LW this camp (maybe with regards to all the injuries - i cannot recall exactly -
perhaps someone can find the exact quote).

Reactions: Estlin

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wasn't a fan of Cassidy when they decided to bump him up, but he's grown on me and proven my doubts to be wrong.

That being said, one of my biggest frustrations with him is his forward combinations. He'll try almost anything with the back of his line-up, but he basically refuses to try anything different for the top two lines. It's Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak, and DeBrusk-Krejci, as long as they're all healthy.

We know that Marchand and Bergeron play well with almost anyone, but that line struggled 5-on-5 last year, especially in the playoffs, so why not give Pastrnak a serious try with Krejci, and then test every one of the young guys as the RW on the 1st line to see what works best. We know the Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak is always there if they need them. If you're not going to try something different during training camp, when are you going to do it?

With Coyle, the 3rd line was a disaster until they brought him in last year. I love Kuraly, but he shouldn't be your 3rd line center. It doesn't seem like anyone else is ready for that spot, so don't mess with it.

I wish I could like this post 10,000 times.

I can see it coming, Coyle will end up on Krejci's wing because Cassidy won't give up his binky line of Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak if nobody else claims the 2RW spot. IIRC when the trade was made some Wild posters commented that Coyle was yanked between center and wing which contributed to his struggles there. Leave him at 3C and Kuraly at 4C.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I wish I could like this post 10,000 times.

I can see it coming, Coyle will end up on Krejci's wing because Cassidy won't give up his binky line of Marchand/Bergeron/Pastrnak if nobody else claims the 2RW spot. IIRC when the trade was made some Wild posters commented that Coyle was yanked between center and wing which contributed to his struggles there. Leave him at 3C and Kuraly at 4C.

It's definitely a concern but I do think that Cassidy likes a line that works. If Coyle/Heinen/Bjork (or whoever winds up here) produces the goods consistently on the 3rd line then he'll be very reluctant to break it up just to try and solve another issue. Ideally you don't reduce a strength to try and fix a weakness elsewhere. I think (hope?) Butch is very aware of that. Of course if the 3rd doesn't turn out as anticipated then things become much more fluid and we may see some more movement across the whole middle 6. But hopefully 1, 3 & 4 can get settled pretty quickly and then there's really only 1 spot that needs to be pinned down.

That's why I'd rather see Pasta stay on the 1st and Bjork probably start on the 3rd - despite its injury-affected struggles in the SCF the top line does the job most of the time, the 4th is strong, and many of us seem to share the hope that we've potentially found a good 3rd combination with Bjork joining that line. So stick with those, as long as they produce, and accept that your 2RW is not going to be any 1 of those 9 players. That way you get 3 quality set lines and at the very least you known that Jake and Krejci will give you something even if their other winger isn't quite up to scratch.

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'd rather have Ritchie on the roster especially with Miller out, only leaves Chara to deal with guys who take liberties. At least Ritchie on the 4th can stick up for the boys instead of our 42 year old captain who's on our 1st pair

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Makes tons of sense if they feel Lindholm and Ritchie are the better choices for the 13 and 14th forwards
Unless there's an injury or a trade someone or two is getting waived,why can't it be him?
The Bruins would never do that to a vet like Backes, never, not to keep Ritchie or Lindholm. Backes is a better player than both those guys and he has tremendous respect in the dressing room, to demote him would do enormous damage to the dressing room between management and players, they won’t go there.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The Bruins would never do that to a vet like Backes, never, not to keep Ritchie or Lindholm. Backes is a better player than both those guys and he has tremendous respect in the dressing room, to demote him would do enormous damage to the dressing room between management and players, they won’t go there.

If Backes were to be outplayed during training camp by every other forward who is seriously in the running for a roster spot, then he should still get a spot?

Last edited:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
If Backes were to be outplayed during training camp by every other forward who is is seriously in the running for a roster spot, then he should still get a spot?
Agreed, but he won’t be outplayed by the likes of Ritchie and Lindholm. So as I said you don’t demote a vet like Backes, just doesn’t happen regardless of what some on HF think and believe.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
We'll find out soon enough

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
After tonight's game Steen is ahead of Backes, Ritchie and even Kuhlman. Guy reminds me of Gallagher a bit. Pesky guy who has a high motor and is around the puck. Steen is not the biggest guy but Bradon Point is 166 lbs at least Steen is 188 lbs. Gaunce has also outplayed those guys from what I have seen. Keyser has been excellent so far in net, Dom nailed this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad