Boston Bruins Training Camp 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I don't look at it as a cap saving I look at it as a spot wasted. Backes was a bad idea from day 1, let's not keep kicking that can down the road. If he doesn't deserve a spot then he doesn't get one , plain and simple. Everyone else has to earn their spot. The fact that he's sucking up 6M cap space and has contributed precious little to this team is bad enough. I really hope he will have to earn his spot like everyone else and not just be handed one. If he doesn't cut it, he goes to Providence. Not for cap saving but to develop someone who will eventually help this team.

Backes was once a young prospect stepping in and forcing out a vet or 2 out of camp...it's a cycle, he's at the tail end of the cycle.

My gut tells me that he and the bruins spoke and it's understood he's competing for a spot and there's a good chance Backes end up in Providence...this is when he will make his final NHL career decision.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Steen, Gaunce and Bjork should be in the lineup for game 1 based on early returns. We'll see if the next three pre-season games change things.

Reactions: bbfan419

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Will be interesting to see who plays tomorrow. Should become clear as to who the team is giving a long look at.

I do expect Tuukka to play at some point tomorrow.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Bjork yes, Steen and Gaunce not to start. Need seasoning in Providence.

Some seasoning would benefit Steen, but I'd definitely have Gaunce in over Nordström based on what I've seen of him. Kuraly does seem to be a better at wing, so having Gaunce as the 4C could be beneficial for all parties.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Some seasoning would benefit Steen, but I'd definitely have Gaunce in over Nordström based on what I've seen of him. Kuraly does seem to be a better at wing, so having Gaunce as the 4C could be beneficial for all parties.
Need to see Nordstrom and how he looks now that he’s healthy before I take him out of the line up for Gaunce.

I like Gaunce but I’m not ready to put him on the team just yet. Let’s see who he plays with this week.

I’m so glad these kids are pushing hard for the open spots. So refreshing.

Reactions: Blowfish

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Steen, Gaunce and Bjork should be in the lineup for game 1 based on early returns. We'll see if the next three pre-season games change things.

My guess is Bjork, Gaunce, Cehlarik, Zachery, and Lindholm will be battling for a position the next 2 weeks. Bjork with the edge. Bjork is playing with much more confidence and tenacity. He does need to pop a few otherwise it will start to weight on him.

Steen will be on the team next season...he will be sent to Providence for smaller rink acclamation.

I don't think anyone of us can predict what's going to take place with the D...I prefer to keep out of this one. So much talent. I do hope Chara is bumped off the top pairing.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I like Gaunce's play however to say "definitely" over Nords is stretch. Nords was fantastic last year especially in the playoffs. I can see Nords being traded for a some good picks.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Backes was once a young prospect stepping in and forcing out a vet or 2 out of camp...it's a cycle, he's at the tail end of the cycle.

My gut tells me that he and the bruins spoke and it's understood he's competing for a spot and there's a good chance Backes end up in Providence...this is when he will make his final NHL career decision.

In sure hope your right about this. With all do respect , this guy is cooked.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
If Backes were to be outplayed during training camp by every other forward who is is seriously in the running for a roster spot, then he should still get a spot?
No he shouldn’t, but the conversation here is about giving the 13th and 14th spot to someone, if Backes doesn’t make the cut for one of the top 12 spots, he can certainly equal Lindholm or Ritchie for a spot in the press box

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
The way I see it.

Top 6 players
Bergeron, DeBrusk, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta

Ants & role players

Coyle, Heinen, Kuraly, Nordstrom, Wagner

Timber

Asselin, Backes, Bjork, Blidh, Carey, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Frederic, Gaunce, Hughes, Kuhlman, Lantosi, Lauko, Lindholm, Ritchie, Senyshyn, Shen, Steen, Studnicka

I fail to see a clear top6 talent among all the timber. Bjork, Steen and Kuhlman look the closest to take it. Hopefully at least one can take the next step and establish himself.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
Ritchie looks noticeably thinner than any of the clips I've seen of him with Dallas last season. Does anyone know if there's any substance to that, or if it's just something as simple as an equipment change/just me being delusional in some way

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The way I see it.

Top 6 players
Bergeron, DeBrusk, Krejci, Marchand, Pasta

Ants & role players

Coyle, Heinen, Kuraly, Nordstrom, Wagner

Timber

Asselin, Backes, Bjork, Blidh, Carey, Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, Frederic, Gaunce, Hughes, Kuhlman, Lantosi, Lauko, Lindholm, Ritchie, Senyshyn, Shen, Steen, Studnicka

I fail to see a clear top6 talent among all the timber. Bjork, Steen and Kuhlman look the closest to take it. Hopefully at least one can take the next step and establish himself.

Thinking Coyle can play top 6...but agree as it stands today fair assessment on Timber. Why I hope Boston makes a trade for impact forward. Some anxious providence players that can play NHL. With the depth the bruins have at D they need to make a good hockey trade.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
Thinking Coyle can play top 6...but agree as it stands today fair assessment on Timber. Why I hope Boston makes a trade for impact forward. Some anxious providence players that can play NHL. With the depth the bruins have at D they need to make a good hockey trade.

I think Coyle is on the verge of becoming one. With his performance in the playoffs he deserves a shot. I would like to see if he can deliver in the regular season as well. My only fear is at what cost. Knowing Cassidy he will move up Kuraly to center the 3rd line, Backes will be somewhere on the 4th line. So if Coyle doesn't click instantly with Krejci bottom 9 could be in shambles god knows for how long. The game plan as we know then will be close games, scoring on PPs and Rask/Halak standing on their heads all over again.

Reactions: Blowfish

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

BOSTON - Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, September 22, the following transactions:
The following players have been assigned to Providence: Axel Andersson, Wiley Sherman.
The following players will report to Providence: Samuel Asselin, Chris Breen, Alexey Solovyev, Brendan Woods, Cooper Zech.

Axel goes to Providence.

I assume the "report" means they will be part of the Providence Training Camp and that does not guarantee any contracts yet.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
BOSTON - Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, September 22, the following transactions:
The following players have been assigned to Providence: Axel Andersson, Wiley Sherman.
The following players will report to Providence: Samuel Asselin, Chris Breen, Alexey Solovyev, Brendan Woods, Cooper Zech.

Axel goes to Providence.

I assume the "report" means they will be part of the Providence Training Camp and that does not guarantee any contracts yet.

Dumb question. What is the difference between being"assigned" and "will report"?

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Dumb question. What is the difference between being"assigned" and "will report"?

Someone will correct me on this but I think it means:
"Assigned" is for players owned under contract by the assigning team
"report" is for anyone not necessarily under contract. Their future in Providence is not guaranteed yet. They can still be cut and released in the Providence camp.

I think this is just a trimming of the ends. These guys had no chance to make the team and so they now set their eyes on Providence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad