Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The only guys on that list drafted in the same time frame are Chabot, Pageau and. Batherson.

I did it quick and thought he started in 2009 but I was 2010 so I think that removes EK, Silf and Hoffman. The rest are still there ? Neither list is “amazing”.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
GARRIOCH: The Senators have no issue with Jacob Bernard-Docker’s decision to stay in school

JBD - “They were super good about it,” Bernard-Docker said. “They want what I want to do and they respect my decision. They know that I can’t wait to get to Ottawa but it’s just one of those things where I think one more year is really going to benefit me.”

BG - While veterans Ron Hainsey and Mark Borowiecki are both unrestricted free agents, the expectation is Dorion will discuss deals with both after this season is either completed or cancelled completely. The belief is Brannstrom and Wolanin will also push for spots in camp next season which means that would push Bernard-Docker further down the depth chart.

I really dislike the make up of the D with Zaitsev, Boro, Hainsey, Reilly as 4/6 Mainstays. Zub will likely get a very good shot RD spot as well. That's 5/6 We will see what he is.

Reactions: h2owned

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
GARRIOCH: The Senators have no issue with Jacob Bernard-Docker’s decision to stay in school

JBD - “They were super good about it,” Bernard-Docker said. “They want what I want to do and they respect my decision. They know that I can’t wait to get to Ottawa but it’s just one of those things where I think one more year is really going to benefit me.”

BG - While veterans Ron Hainsey and Mark Borowiecki are both unrestricted free agents, the expectation is Dorion will discuss deals with both after this season is either completed or cancelled completely. The belief is Brannstrom and Wolanin will also push for spots in camp next season which means that would push Bernard-Docker further down the depth chart.

I really dislike the make up of the D with Zaitsev, Boro, Hainsey, Reilly as 4/6 Mainstays. Zub will likely get a very good shot RD spot as well. That's 5/6 We will see what he is.
Boro and Haisney back will be great for the tank, if that is what they are planning.

Otherwise, no excuse for keeping either of them around.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I don't mind Boro' staying.

He'll get 2 years max at 1.X million. He'll be paid like a 7th defender, and he's a great role model in the room. Really, it is not a big deal.

I'm fine with us keeping Hainsey if he takes a pay cut. With what might happen to the cap, there's no way that using 3.5 million on Hainsey would be wise. We're going to be in a position to acquire some good players from cap strapped teams. We might even be able to sign a decent UFA, because there won't be a lot of cap to go around, and someone will have to settle for Ottawa.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

He'll get 2 years max at 1.X million. He'll be paid like a 7th defender, and he's a great role model in the room. Really, it is not a big deal.

I'm fine with us keeping Hainsey if he takes a pay cut. With what might happen to the cap, there's no way that using 3.5 million on Hainsey would be wise. We're going to be in a position to acquire some good players from cap strapped teams. We might even be able to sign a decent UFA, because there won't be a lot of cap to go around, and someone will have to settle for Ottawa.

I think you're understating what Boro will cost. I am guessing 3yrs @ 2.something.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I think Boro is going to get himself 3 years at +$7.5 million. Not saying I like it ...

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think you're understating what Boro will cost. I am guessing 3yrs @ 2.something.

Not a chance.

The cap is about to be decimated. Any marketability as a UFA that Boro' earned from his play this season is going to be eviscerated by the cap staying the same, or worse falling.

He's a 15 minute guy who played 18 minutes because of the team he was on. GMs know this. He also no longer fights and is less aggressive in that way, which is fine, he's a different player now, but that has to be acknowledged when considering his marketability as a UFA.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not a chance.

The cap is about to be decimated. Any marketability as a UFA that Boro' earned from his play this season is going to be eviscerated by the cap staying the same, or worse falling.

He's a 15 minute guy who played 18 minutes because of the team he was on. GMs know this. He also no longer fights and is less aggressive in that way, which is fine, he's a different player now, but that has to be acknowledged when considering his marketability as a UFA.

Eh, if the cap goes down maybe your right but on a flat cap I think he still likely gets something around 2m. He had a very good season, he's a rare breed of defender, he can play a regular shift, and he's a team and community leader. Perfect storm for an overpay.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Not a chance.

Chris Neil got 3.5% x4 of the cap as a first time UFA 10 years ago. I could see Boro’s contract look similar.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Chris Neil was a solid NHLer.

Boro was solid last year. For what it’s worth I thought Neil’s best years were his post UFA years. I can see Boro taking a similar path and getting a similar reward. He already has the local connection, community roots etc. He needs a retirement contract. He can’t take $1.1 type money for one year.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Boro and Haisney back will be great for the tank, if that is what they are planning.

Otherwise, no excuse for keeping either of them around.
Hainsey specifically, waste of cap space. Sens should only be signing players that have actual value. I have no problem with Boro in a depth role on an inexpensive contract.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Eh, if the cap goes down maybe your right but on a flat cap I think he still likely gets something around 2m. He had a very good season, he's a rare breed of defender, he can play a regular shift, and he's a team and community leader. Perfect storm for an overpay.
Hows the cap not going to go down?...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's going to be tricky. Cap will go down....but there's no way to do that without some drastic salary change structure. Either an overall rollback of salaries, or converting all current salaries to percentage of (2019-20) cap, or a very generous buyout program for all teams.

The trick is figuring out which one the NHLPA would agree to.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's going to be tricky. Cap will go down....but there's no way to do that without some drastic salary change structure. Either an overall rollback of salaries, or converting all current salaries to percentage of (2019-20) cap, or a very generous buyout program for all teams.

The trick is figuring out which one the NHLPA would agree to.

I think it has to be a roll back

A buyout program is quite punitive to half the teams in the league. Buyouts cost money and it seems 25% of revenues got flushed down the toilet. Buyouts in this instance really help the top revenue teams and penalize the bottom teams.

I think it's going to be a roll back. And a big one. And some kind of moving target thing where salaries recover at the rate that revenue recovers...which right now is pretty unpredictable

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

A buyout program is quite punitive to half the teams in the league. Buyouts cost money and it seems 25% of revenues got flushed down the toilet. Buyouts in this instance really help the top revenue teams and penalize the bottom teams.

I think it's going to be a roll back. And a big one. And some kind of moving target thing where salaries recover at the rate that revenue recovers...which right now is pretty unpredictable

If it's a moving target, then I think the best bet is converting salaries into percentage of cap. That would be more flexible than a simple rollback, as it would move easily with a changing cap.

Buyouts yes are punitive...also to players. The players whose contracts expire at the end of this season and now need a new contract under a lower cap or more cautious market will take the brunt of the hit compared to players who are under contract. But it would also be one of the options the richer teams would be pushing for. And there's a possibility the NHLPA might go for this because the majority of big contract players keep more of their money this way while hurting the secondary guys and those near the end of their career. But who knows...the PA is a strange animal.

I think the one thing against a rollback is the outward perception. It's one of those moves (in normal times) that gives people the impression the league isn't doing well, or is on the downslide. I think the NHL might want to avoid those particular optics at this time.....but, you never know. It's also the easiest thing to implement, and the NHL is running out of time to figure out what to do with a lot of things...the draft, playoffs, and what's going to happen next season. They need to come up with a plan soon...a schedule has to be made, buildings booked, etc.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I doubt he gets offered more than two years.

I would think $1.75 x 2 would be fine for both sides.

In all honesty, it will be interesting for all these players who have not skated in two or three months for the first time in their adult lives. How will it effect their game. Most are riding stationary bikes, lifting weights, shooting pucks on their driveways and basements.

For the older guys it might be hard to get it back... not impossible, but I think there might be a dip.

Think about the guys in NYC, Montreal, and Toronto that all live in condos. They must be breaking rules to get into a gym.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I agree, rollback combined with adjusting the cap makes the most sense, in effect they already have that with the escrow system. Escrow % is adjusted 4 times a year as revenue projections become more clear, so if they were to do nothing the escrow retention on players pay checks would just baloon up. If you overshoot the rollback, no worries, players will just get paid an end of year cheque to bring the HRR split back to 50/50.

At the end of the year, player will get the same amount, 50% of hrr, regardless of rollbacks or escrow retention.

On the flipside, a buyout program with lowered cap would skew salary dynamics in a big way, any new contracts would be at a huge disadvantage to ones signed before.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I doubt he gets offered more than two years.

I would think $1.75 x 2 would be fine for both sides.

In all honesty, it will be interesting for all these players who have not skated in two or three months for the first time in their adult lives. How will it effect their game. Most are riding stationary bikes, lifting weights, shooting pucks on their driveways and basements.

For the older guys it might be hard to get it back... not impossible, but I think there might be a dip.

Think about the guys in NYC, Montreal, and Toronto that all live in condos. They must be breaking rules to get into a gym.

I would hope most of those guys (at least the ones from North America) would've packed up their immediate families and gone home to be with parents and siblings. Most of these guys nowadays come from smaller places and the GTA suburbs and all that...and there's likely a bit more wiggle room in those places with facilities.

I know if I had mobility and the finances to do so, I'd be out of New York, LA, or the USA in general in an instant with a pandemic. Hit the cottage a few months early and have the room to work out and avoid the virus at the same time.

...that's if teams allowed their players to do this back when the season was suspended.

Reactions: Variable26

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
We need 8-9 NHL defenders, because with injuries, you go through that much every year, and you also need to have the depth to afford younger guys doing more time in the AHL.

I really like bringing Boro back. We need a few veterans, and having one that is good with the kids and also won't complain if his ice time is lower is a great combination. I'd be disappointed if we brought Hainsey back. I'd rather give that ice time to a mix of Englund, Wolanin and Lajoie to getting better idea of what we have there with those three.

Chabot, Zaitsev, Brannstrom, Boro, Reilly, Jaros, Wolanin, Englund, Lajoie would be my 9. If you add Zub, there is no issue being more patient with Lajoie having another year in the AHL. Englund is obviously a question mark still in his own right.

In another year, Thomson and JBD will be knocking at the door a bit more, likely in the AHL, but perhaps getting some NHL time and we'll move on from Reilly and jettison a few those depth guys, as it's unclear where and whether Wolanin, Englund and Lajoie are regular NHLers. They will be forced to sink or swim over the next year or so.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I would hope most of those guys (at least the ones from North America) would've packed up their immediate families and gone home to be with parents and siblings. Most of these guys nowadays come from smaller places and the GTA suburbs and all that...and there's likely a bit more wiggle room in those places with facilities.

I know if I had mobility and the finances to do so, I'd be out of New York, LA, or the USA in general in an instant with a pandemic. Hit the cottage a few months early and have the room to work out and avoid the virus at the same time.

Most North American players these days come from the bigger metro areas. Not a lot of small town players in the NHL.

And hitting cottage country these days is a selfish act. You risk spreading the pandemic to a small community and using up the much more limited resources there if you get infected.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Most North American players these days come from the bigger metro areas. Not a lot of small town players in the NHL.

And hitting cottage country these days is a selfish act. You risk spreading the pandemic to a small community and using up the much more limited resources there if you get infected.

I wonder how many privately held ice surfaces there are in Canada... they would be more flexible to offer access than any rink run by a municipality.

Even the small 3x3, 4x4 type surfaces or goalie training rinks. If you own a building it’s hard to stop you from accessing it, you just can’t operate a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad