Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yep which is why I dont get the hero worship about Stevie Y,he is decent I guess..But for me its their scouts that should get most the credit
He hired the scouts and made the final decisions.... Thats the GM's job. Now you are coming down on him for having too good of a team? Not your day today sir.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He hired the scouts and made the final decisions.... Thats the GM's job. Now you are coming down on him for having too good of a team? Not your day today sir.

It’s no different than PD getting fired after drafting LAF and BY. The team gets transferred to Houston and the new GM has the resources of a wealthy owner, attractive city, US currency/taxes etc. He hits on a few draft picks and he keeps the team together at the start of their competitive cycle. He deserves credit for the pics and managing the superstars etc but he doesn’t deserve all the credit vs the last GM who put the foundation in place.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If the Senators were to arrange a trade with Tampa for Sergachev, I suspect they would want the right to engage in contract talks to determine whether they could reach an agreement on compensation and terms before consummating the trade. If the compensation is too high, the Senators would pass.

The Senators are a cost conscious team and trading away picks and ELC players for an upcoming UFA would not fit the plan.

Im sure they would check in ... I’d be more worried about him having no interest in signing in Ottawa vs $6 or $9mill...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
StevieY played chicken with Stamkos and had a better result than Stone and Tavares' GM's did. That was pretty gutsy. He developed a team where the player would want to stay and so it was a good gamble.

TBay will prob have to decide really quickly what to do with Serg. Im sure they'd rather trade one of their forwards or do a compliance buyout. But still, their backs will be up against a wall fast.

And in those situations, we dont need to think what would it take as a fair offer to entice them to trade. The thinking is quite different. Like maybe Bran for Stone will work.

Now i guess we could adopt BMurrs style and say i dont care if they think i overpaid, i want that player now, wont get him unless i overbid now, i can afford to do it, so will pay sticker price.

Would you do that for Serg or have the patience to wait it out and hope to win a good deal? Cause boy would he ever fit and the time is nigh.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trading for a 22 year old is staying with the plan. Its literally excecuting it properly, using the assets it accumulated to do quantity for quality deals to put elite players in the lineup.

Yup. Sergachev is the same age as Brown, and one year older than Brannstrom.

Hardly would be selling the farm by swapping the two and adding some assets going Tampa's way.

Reactions: aragorn

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If He’s doing it to turn UFA I’ll come apart. Somebody talk me off the ledge right now

I find that doubtful. He couldn't become a free agent until August 2022, and I would be surprised if he waited that long to turn pro. My guess is that he would like to sign here next March/April, after his NCAA season ends, and pocket a nice signing bonus while burning off a year of his ELC by playing a game.

When you think about it, he's not losing much - the value of his full ride scholarship isn't much less than what he would make as a rookie in Belleville. He's probably hoping to largely bypass Belleville entirely and step right into our lineup out of camp in 2021...

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I find that doubtful. He couldn't become a free agent until August 2022, and I would be surprised if he waited that long to turn pro. My guess is that he would like to sign here next March/April, after his NCAA season ends, and pocket a nice signing bonus while burning off a year of his ELC by playing a game.

When you think about it, he's not losing much - the value of his full ride scholarship isn't much less than what he would make as a rookie in Belleville. He's probably hoping to largely bypass Belleville entirely and step right into our lineup out of camp in 2021...

Depends what you mean by "much less". Looks like UND tuition is pretty affordable by American standards, would be about 15-20,000 as far as I can tell. AHL minimum salary is 50,000.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Depends what you mean by "much less". Looks like UND tuition is pretty affordable by American standards, would be about 15-20,000 as far as I can tell. AHL minimum salary is 50,000.

$20-50 G is nothing ... he can cover that easily if the Sens give him 5 games or so at the end of the year at 6.25% of an ELC. Signing bonus + 6% of a NHL season + a year of school is pretty close.... plus he doesn’t have to sit on the bench in Belleville and I guess the Sens save a contract.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Bernard docker returning to college next year

Cool. Hopefully he hits PPG next year along with his already solid defensive play. He was probably the best shut down D for Canada at the WJC this year. I'm really feeling a potential Chabot-Docker pairing in the 2021-22 season.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
A scholarship package for a Canadian is around $300 000 depending on the school.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
When you toss in room and board and books in with the tuition, the value of the scholarship rises pretty quickly. That's all in US dollars also, not our Northern Peso. If he signs with the Sens in early April right after the Frozen Four, and plays an NHL game, he pockets a nice signing bonus and manages to burn off a year of his entry level contract in the process. JBD has also put himself in the driver's seat somewhat with the Sens - it's now pretty urgent that he gets signed the minute his season ends next year, whereas before we all just assumed that he would play along with whatever path the organization wanted for him.

Here's another reason why this timeline works for him - if in fact the NHL resumes its season in a month or so, and plays hockey into the summer, the start of the 2020-21 season is going to be delayed. (That suits the American owners fine, as they hate the October games anyway as they fight with the NFL, World Series, etc.) That, in turn, would mean that the 2020-21 regular season likely wouldn't wrap up into mid to late April, allowing JBD to finish his NCAA and walk right into our lineup for the last few regular season games. (Oh, and cashing a nice bonus cheque in the process.)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Or maybe the kid wants to stay in school and get his degree? Sure, people can finish up their courses online, but not everyone does well with that type of learning. Especially if he's taking courses that requires a lot of lab work.

And it works for us....best thing we can do with any blueliner is let them develop slowly.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No never said he was terrible,more of a bit overrated...Those NMC are going to haunt TB for awhile

Reactions: Sweatred

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Nothing wrong with Serg,but the cost will be high...Even with TB,s cap issues there will be a host of teams wanting to add a 22 year old top end defender...We have no business getting into a bidding war for him

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its a little surprising, he is ready for pro hockey. I dont like it at all.
I would have preferred him to turn pro.. but I get why he wants to stay. Just as long as he is here to start next year ..I am good with it. I don't think it will hurt him at all in the long run.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Or maybe the kid wants to stay in school and get his degree? Sure, people can finish up their courses online, but not everyone does well with that type of learning. Especially if he's taking courses that requires a lot of lab work.

And it works for us....best thing we can do with any blueliner is let them develop slowly.
No chance he finishes his degree before turning pro (edit: that is if he has a four year degree program, not sure how it works for these athletes)

We might not even have hockey until 2021, so it might make sense to go back to school in the fall for that reason

Reactions: topshelf15

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No chance he finishes his degree before turning pro (edit: that is if he has a four year degree program, not sure how it works for these athletes)

We might not even have hockey until 2021, so it might make sense to go back to school in the fall for that reason

There is also a chance he doesn’t have a school or a program to play in.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The answer is, he can have both.

1 more year of College where he'll play big minutes, and then sign with Ottawa at the end of the season. He can then sign with Ottawa late in the year, get his signing bonus, burn his ELC, all without playing a full season.

He probably will skip the AHL entirely by taking that approach.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
StevieY played chicken with Stamkos and had a better result than Stone and Tavares' GM's did. That was pretty gutsy. He developed a team where the player would want to stay and so it was a good gamble.

TBay will prob have to decide really quickly what to do with Serg. Im sure they'd rather trade one of their forwards or do a compliance buyout. But still, their backs will be up against a wall fast.

And in those situations, we dont need to think what would it take as a fair offer to entice them to trade. The thinking is quite different. Like maybe Bran for Stone will work.

Now i guess we could adopt BMurrs style and say i dont care if they think i overpaid, i want that player now, wont get him unless i overbid now, i can afford to do it, so will pay sticker price.

Would you do that for Serg or have the patience to wait it out and hope to win a good deal? Cause boy would he ever fit and the time is nigh.

Palat, Johnson & Killorn maybe -> $16 m. Just throwing ideas out there.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Stevie Y's best draft picks
1) Kucherov 58th in 2011
2) Palat 7th round in 2011
3) Brayden Point 79th in 2014
4) Vasilevskiy 19th in 2012 ( draft pick obtained in a trade with Detroit)
5) Cirelli 72nd in 2015

How about trades:
Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher and a 4th
Drouin for Sergachev

Thanks for sharing this list ... Do you not think The Sens have drafted 5 equal players over that time ?

Stone 178, Lehrer 46, Hoffman 130, Batherson 121, Chabot 18, Pageau 96, Silfvberg 39 etc.

They also hit on EK, Zibby, Brady as early picks.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Thanks for sharing this list ... Do you not think The Sens have drafted 5 equal players over that time ?

Stone 178, Lehrer 46, Hoffman 130, Batherson 121, Chabot 18, Pageau 96, Silfvberg 39 etc.

They also hit on EK, Zibby, Brady as early picks.
The only guys on that list drafted in the same time frame are Chabot, Pageau and. Batherson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad