Proposal: Trade Rumours/Proposals 2019-20 Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Quite pleased with today. That is a terrific haul by Dorion for JGP, and he obviously played it right in terms of figuring out the contract demands and being able to trade him for a team than felt they could sign him, so they paid more. That would have been a transparent process for the Isles for them to pay that.

Re Tierney, I believe the team has always seen him as the potential to replace Pageau. Very good defensively and on the PK, and can fill a stop gap as 2C for a year or so in a pinch. Sentiment aside, his offensive resume is as good as JGP's, and he flashes a similar game. I personally really like him as a 3C. Opportunity to keep him as part of core if his game advances a little further. He and Anisimov are poor top 6 centers, for sure, but can play the part for a year if Brown and Norris need more time. White is also in the mix next year, as is Chlapik, so we don't have to rush Norris and Brown if more time in Bingo is appropriate. Longer term, having Tierney in the mix to help along our future at center with White, Brown, Norris, Chlapik, and Pinto is a good thing.

Reactions: NB613

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Quite pleased with today. That is a terrific haul by Dorion for JGP, and he obviously played it right in terms of figuring out the contract demands and being able to trade him for a team than felt they could sign him, so they paid more. That would have been a transparent process for the Isles for them to pay that.

Re Tierney, I believe the team has always seen him as the potential to replace Pageau. Very good defensively and on the PK, and can fill a stop gap as 2C for a year or so in a pinch. Sentiment aside, his offensive resume is as good as JGP's, and he flashes a similar game. I personally really like him as a 3C. Opportunity to keep him as part of core if his game advances a little further. He and Anisimov are poor top 6 centers, for sure, but can play the part for a year if Brown and Norris need more time. White is also in the mix next year, as is Chlapik, so we don't have to rush Norris and Brown if more time in Bingo is appropriate. Longer term, having Tierney in the mix to help along our future at center with White, Brown, Norris, Chlapik, and Pinto is a good thing.

Tierney is no Pageau, AINEC.

Reactions: bert and Daffy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Dorion nailed it today. Nailed it. He didn't fall into the trap of thinking next year is a contending year. We need elite talent before we can contend. The best way to get that is to pick high in this draft. He has paved the way for that to happen with these moves. Sell decent players like Namestikov and Ennis for anything. Sell Pageau for great draft capital. He did as much as he reasonably could to ensure a bottom 2 finish. Now we just need a bit of luck and then we're cooking.

He killed it with the Pageau trade, which is what matters most because nobody else was a premium asset like Pageau.

I'm in the minority, but I think he got a perfectly acceptable return for Demelo.

He got a pick for Ennis and replaced him with Peca. There is a bit of egg on his face if the 4th was on the table, but ultimately it probably isn't the first time a GM has lost a game of chicken, and when we're talking about a 4th vs 5th, it's not a huge gamble. I'm surprised a team even put a 5th on the table for Ennis.

I'll get more crap for this, but I am really disappointed in the Namestnikov return. I'd consider it a failure. Seeing what other players have gone for, it's evident that a 4th was market value, so from that perspective it is fine. But I think the trade was still a failure because we gambled significant salary space on Namestnikov to acquire him earlier in the season. There was an added opportunity cost for us that we didn't realize much gain from. Maybe there weren't any better opportunities from June up until now to weaponize that salary space, and the opportunity cost of Namestnikov is not as high as I am making it out to be. I don't know, but I look at what other teams were able to do with weaponizing cap space and it is hard to be anything but disappointed with how our move played out.

Ultimately, the only people who will be unhappy with this deadline are those who feel we should have kept Pageau on a 6 year term. Pageau is one of my favourite Senators of all time, but I absolutely see why we would pull the trigger on getting what could potentially be a top 20+top 50 pick in this trade deadline, and 5 million of open salary space for the next few seasons.

I don't think it will be as easy as people think to replace Pageau's role. He wasn't an attractive asset just because he was proving he can score, he was an attractive asset because he plays like he's 6'6" and can shutdown other top players down the middle. That's not a player that is easy to find, even with the amount of centers in our system. With that said, with where our team is in our rebuild, we would have been nuts to pass on this return and keep Pageau on a 6 year term. I was nervous about what kind of return we'd get for Pageau, but the team hit a home run. With the Islanders extending Pageau, I think the trade takes on a different life and is more "win-win" than it first appeared in the morning.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Just seeing that Kreider is staying in NYC. That's a great move by the Rangers I think, despite the long term. They're looking like potential playoff hopefuls right now and could be Cup contenders over the next 5 years.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Just seeing that Kreider is staying in NYC. That's a great move by the Rangers I think, despite the long term. They're looking like potential playoff hopefuls right now and could be Cup contenders over the next 5 years.
Great move. They have the financial might to buy their way out of deals if they go south

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Krieder is soon to be 29 and was given a 7 year deal. Panarin is 28 and Zibby soon to be 27. Those are your 3 key guys combined with Trouba that's their core going forward. None of those guys are going to get any better than the are now. Playoff team yes but not a cup contender.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Geez if Brady Skjei netted a First rounder, I wonder what Boro could have netted us had he been healthy. If you're gonna go full scorched earth rebuild, then go all the way I saw.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Listening to Pierre today he sounds way more confident and calm. It appears there is a true plan in place, he is being far more clear and consice. Strong asset management today, hoping for more of the same next year and they start to compete for a playoff spot the following season. I expect next year to be very smilar to this season, hopefully they maxizmize more assets like they did this season.

Krieder is soon to be 29 and was given a 7 year deal. Panarin is 28 and Zibby soon to be 27. Those are your 3 key guys combined with Trouba that's their core going forward. None of those guys are going to get any better than the are now. Playoff team yes but not a cup contender.

They have alot of youth coming too though, they're gonna be a really good team for a while.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
- Pageau: great return, nice trade
- Namestnikov: was worth a gamble, but it didn't work and getting a later 4th rounder back is the expected return
- Ennis: was hoping for more, but any asset you get back for a cheap FA signing is better than nothing.

I'm mostly only disappointed we didn't re-sign DeMelo especially given the low return. We really need to sign someone at his level or better in the off-season.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
"The big discussion going into the trade deadline, is Tierney a product of Lafreniere or is he really a late bloomer who has blossomed into a 105 point center?"-Bob McKenzie 2021

Actually if Dorion is smart he signs Tierney to a low cost 2 hear deal.

Look at what Tampa paid for cost two cost controlled players.

Teams value trading for guys with term because they can configure them into their cap ramifications going forward.

Ideally a two year deal low cost and he inflates his value next year like Pageau did being our #1 C

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pageau : drafted by the Sens (under Murray), played 428 games with Ottawa ---> turned into a 1st + 2nd round pick

Ennis : cheap free wallet (UFA) at 800 K$, replaced Ryan's production this season (0.54 PPG) in 63 GP ---> turned into a 5th round pick

DeMelo : "throw-in" in the Karlsson trade, played 126 games for the Sens ---> turned into a 3rd round pick

Namestnikov : acquired for a 4th, played 54 games with Ottawa (13 goals + 12 assists) ---> recovered a 4th round pick

Peca : acquired for a 7th to finish out the season in Ottawa. Kinda like the Mike Reilly version at forward, speed/skill but lack hockey sense

Another pretty good deadline for Dorion. Has gained a lot of credibility to me after a disastrous rookie year (even though the Sens reached the ECF, it was Murray's team)

Now that he will have assembled the "most incredible U-25 group of all-time", Dorion has to prove that he can build a successful team out of it.

He has to kill it at the draft. Then, making a successful trade for a young established player and signing an useful UFA would definitely help. Still a lot of work ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Actually if Dorion is smart he signs Tierney to a low cost 2 hear deal.

Look at what Tampa paid for cost two cost controlled players.

Teams value trading for guys with term because they can configure them into their cap ramifications going forward.

Ideally a two year deal low cost and he inflates his value next year like Pageau did being our #1 C

Tierney probably won't do 2 years because he can go to arbitration, get a 1 year deal, and walk to free agency. His qualifying offer is about 3 million.

The way to do what you're suggesting would be to sign him to a 3 year deal, because that's probably the minimum he'd take in term, and then retain half. We could maybe get him around high 3's, low 4's depending on how aggressive he is about his next contract.

I don't think it's possible for the Sens to replicate what SJS/NJD pulled off. It requires a player to be signed to a low cap hit and then play well above their previous level. It also requires their to be a team with as restrictive of a cap situation as Tampa Bay felt they had going into 2021.

Reactions: NB613 and DJB

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
What NHL player/prospect would you like to see Ottawa pick up using one of those 13 draft picks before/at the draft?

In my perfect scenario they keep all 3 1sts to exorcise the demons of the 2011 draft. Hell, package a 2nd with something to get another first if you can, get wild. I’d also like to see them take a shot at a high ceiling reclamation project like Puljujarvi, hopefully for a 2nd+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad