Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Las Vegas Exp Part 2: Mo Defence, Mo Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
People just don't get it.

Eberle is a 6 million dollar winger and we HAVE to move out salary before the start of the following year.

Sure there are theoretically other ways to get cap relief, RNH for example, but the most obvious and best way to get the amount of cap space we need is by far bar none moving Eberle.

It's very unlikely Eberle's value will go up. Its possible it goes down, and Chiarelli absolutely loses leverage the longer he waits. It's not like Eberle is going to play that much harder for a team actively trying to trade him a full year + before his term is up.

Keeping him one more year is better for this year but you risk getting stuck with him or getting even less than you would now. This is most likely the best time to trade Eberle to get the most for him. And we won't get much, because we need to move him for cap relief, aka little to no cap coming back.

Just the reality of the cap world we live in starting with McDavids contract commencement and continuing for as long as we actually have a team full of playoff worthy players.

cap space in 2 years > actual nhl players

heard it here folks

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
This is so reminiscent of last summer. We traded Taylor Hall and the sky is falling, we will never score again, the sky is falling, we wont make the playoffs, the sky is falling.. Rinse, repeat. Funny thing happened though.....we got 103 points in the standing and increased out scoring.

Eberle will be traded for a younger player making less who has the potential to get up to his level which is 20G/50P (not some figure he put up 6 years ago when no one on the team played defense). We will also use the extra cap space to bring in another guy who helps make the team better. You can't separate a side deal that uses caps space generated by trading an expensive player from the main deal.

NHL teams operate in a cap world where the pie is the same size for each team and you have to optimize each piece. Eberle is a very sub-optimal piece for the team at this stage and he will be moved.

no one has an issue if you trade eberle for a player that helps the team RIGHT NOW (aka Larsson). we are a playoff team NOW and want to continue to be. trading eberle for lotto ticket players and cap space is a giant step backwards.

we also essentially got Lucic + Larsson for Hall --> how does strome and xxx compare?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Are you in the keep RNH camp? Because I think you just sold yourself out.

No I'm in neither camp. I'm against trading RNH before Ebs. I think RNH deserves a longer leash. The team certainly values him more than Ebs.

I don't see a future for him here. He also priced himself out

North

Jun 25, 2009

Eberle is a 6 million dollar winger and we HAVE to move out salary before the start of the following year.

Sure there are theoretically other ways to get cap relief, RNH for example, but the most obvious and best way to get the amount of cap space we need is by far bar none moving Eberle.

It's very unlikely Eberle's value will go up. Its possible it goes down, and Chiarelli absolutely loses leverage the longer he waits. It's not like Eberle is going to play that much harder for a team actively trying to trade him a full year + before his term is up.

Keeping him one more year is better for this year but you risk getting stuck with him or getting even less than you would now. This is most likely the best time to trade Eberle to get the most for him. And we won't get much, because we need to move him for cap relief, aka little to no cap coming back.

Just the reality of the cap world we live in starting with McDavids contract commencement and continuing for as long as we actually have a team full of playoff worthy players.

People get it just fine.

What a lot of people don't get is: We don't need the cap space right now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Negatory there Red Rider, the best way to get cap space is to move Pouliot and Fayne while not resigning Russell. Thats 10M right there. Also dont need to move anyone this year, NEXT year we may have to move out salary depending who we resign.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
This is so reminiscent of last summer. We traded Taylor Hall and the sky is falling, we will never score again, the sky is falling, we wont make the playoffs, the sky is falling.. Rinse, repeat. Funny thing happened though.....we got 103 points in the standing and increased our scoring.

Eberle will be traded for a younger player making less who has the potential to get up to his level which is 20G/50P (not some figure he put up 6 years ago when no one on the team played defense). We will also use the extra cap space to bring in another guy who helps make the team better. You can't separate a side deal that uses caps space generated by trading an expensive player from the main deal.

NHL teams operate in a cap world where the pie is the same size for each team and you have to optimize each piece. Eberle is a very sub-optimal piece for the team at this stage and he will be moved.

Seriously? Seriously. For the last ****ing time, it's not that we don't want Eberle traded, it's that we don't want to trade him for ****** returns that make this team worse right now. That's the only thing. We know he won't be playing here after this year (and so does he). So please stop talking about needing to move Ebs, cause we know that.

From what you're saying, we lose leverage next year if we don't trade him now... what ****ing leverage if the best offer is Strome? That's not leverage, that's being bent over already.

And if his cap hit is such a problem, then having less term left on his contract might make him more valuable. It's can't be both ways. If he makes too much money, less term is better. If more term is better, then his cap hit isn't the problem. In terms of value to another team, I mean.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
i think we need to start seriously looking at trading Draisaitl, we are going to need cap space in 2025 and he will be making a lot of money on the cap and we still need to resign that guy we draft in 2022.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People get it just fine.

If the team wants to stagnate, then that's fine. If the team is looking to improve, the cap space actually does matter.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
you know talbot is going to get pretty pricey maybe we can trade him for carter hart and save that sweet sweet cap space

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
This is so reminiscent of last summer. We traded Taylor Hall and the sky is falling, we will never score again, the sky is falling, we wont make the playoffs, the sky is falling.. Rinse, repeat. Funny thing happened though.....we got 103 points in the standing and increased our scoring.

The main difference was when the team traded Hall, it was for a legitimate top pairing d man in Larsson. Devil fans told us exactly how Larsson plays.
Strome on the other hand is still an unproven player and moving Eberle for him would have Snow fleecing Chiarelli for a second consecutive time. Snow can **** off if he offers Strome for Eberle.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If the team wants to stagnate, then that's fine. If the team is looking to improve, the cap space actually does matter.

Well then I guess it's really all or nothing at this point, don't want to waste McDavid's career over lack of cap space. Without Cap space, clearly it's missing the playoffs.

So simple now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
4-5M for Strome to click with either Drai or McDavid is justified.

So youre alright paying Strome 4-5M maybe more for most likely 50-60 points. But not alright paying Eberle 6M for maybe 60-80 if he bounces back? If he doesn't you can sign him for 4M and he can put up 50 points a season with Mcdavid. I don't really get it, if were talking about cap space here.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I'm curious who Vegas picked from us. We all know it's going to be between Reinhart, Pouliot, Khaira, Pitlick and Brossoit. I guess it depends on what they value. Pouliot can play now and be a leader for the team, Reinhart can be played a tiny bit while developing, Khaira can play now and be on their 4th line, Pitlick can play too (provided he is healthy) and Brossoit would be a backup however there is better goalies available than him. So I really don't know who they would want. I'm hoping it's Pouliot but dunno at this point. :dunno:

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
ok so ive had some time to put this together and i have our new starting lineup for next season

maroon-mcdavid-cap space
lucic - draisaitl - cap space
pouliot - cap space - caguilla
Kharia - Letestu - cap space

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
i think we need to start seriously looking at trading Draisaitl, we are going to need cap space in 2025 and he will be making a lot of money on the cap and we still need to resign that guy we draft in 2022.

:biglaugh:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I'm curious who Vegas picked from us. We all know it's going to be between Reinhart, Pouliot, Khaira, Pitlick and Brossoit. I guess it depends on what they value. Pouliot can play now and be a leader for the team, Reinhart can be played a tiny bit while developing, Khaira can play now and be on their 4th line, Pitlick can play too (provided he is healthy) and Brossoit would be a backup however there is better goalies available than him. So I really don't know who they would want. I'm hoping it's Pouliot but dunno at this point. :dunno:

With the goalies available, it won't be Brossoit. And I can't see them being interested in fairly middle-of-the-road players like Pitlick and Khaira who really haven't proven enough (Khaira because of only few games, Pitclick cause of question of his health).

It has to be between Reinhart and Pouliot.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
For those who want to see it actually laid out:

picture.php

I'm sure Aceboogie could find the GAR charts somewhere too.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Why take it to the extreme? There's no perfect move to solve the complex situation that Eberle (and his contract) presents. Chiarelli knows the market may shift significantly in the next 72 hours and I imagine he will continue to look for the best opportunity, which may involve holding onto the player.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
So youre alright paying Strome 4-5M maybe more for most likely 50-60 points. But not alright paying Eberle 6M for maybe 60-80 if he bounces back? If he doesn't you can sign him for 4M and he can put up 50 points a season with Mcdavid. I don't really get it, if were talking about cap space here.

Imo, there's a way higher chance of Eberle bouncing back than Strome actually hitting 50-60 points. Eberle's worst year is still better than Strome's best year. I have no interest in Strome.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
People get it just fine.

Its not really about cap space.. Its about building a contender.
Eberle just doesnt fit in the big picture due to the style of his game and the projected linemates he will have.

Chia is more interested in guys with grit. Lucic has no speed but has size. Caggiula has speed but no size. Kassian has speed and size. Spely ditto. One thing that is common in all of them is that they all have grit.

If the Oilers have 10M in cap space the start of the season... it will balloon up by trade deadline allowing us to load up for the playoffs.

A team with McDavid and Draisaitl and cap space will look darn attractive to rest of NHLers.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
weird i was just looking over the highest scoring RWs over the last 5 years and i can find eberle but i havent been able to find Cap Space on that list anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino