Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Las Vegas Exp Part 2: Mo Defence, Mo Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Its still better than being handcuffed when McDavid's new deal kicks in. If we have to walk away from one or both Strome and Maroon then so be it.

They have no one to blame but Phaneuf :laugh:
Having said that Karlsson ala McDavid doesnt need a star partner on his line to be successful. OTT will survive this considering the time Methot was out with injuries this season.

The thing is that Oilers might not consider Eberle 'good' anymore.

Who in their right ****ing mind considers the 6th leading RW in points since entering the league not "good"?

You hear of teams needing scoring and you tell me he has zero value? Or value of a guy who averages 30 ish points a season when his worst is 51?

Does Eberle's track record seem to warrant giving the guy the benefit of the doubt to rebound and prove more value? I would argue yes.

Like I see people bending themselves over backwards to explain how we are going to save 3.5M and I put forward a way to save 10.625M and for some reason everyone looks over it and says nope Eberle and his 6M need to go. In all likelihood we could keep Ebs and trade him at the deadline for value greater than what we get right now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Who in their right ****ing mind considers the 6th leading RW in points since entering the league not "good"?

You hear of teams needing scoring and you tell me he has zero value? Or value of a guy who averages 30 ish points a season when his worst is 51?

Does Eberle's track record seem to warrant giving the guy the benefit of the doubt to rebound and prove more value? I would argue yes.

Like I see people bending themselves over backwards to explain how we are going to save 3.5M and I put forward a way to save 10.625M and for some reason everyone looks over it and says nope Eberle and his 6M need to go. In all likelihood we could keep Ebs and trade him at the deadline for value greater than what we get right now.

Where does Eberle rank for RWs the last two years when he's actually been asked to play on more than one side of the rink?

Because we're never going back to playing the 2010-2014 Oilers style of offence. McLellan expects everyone to play 200 feet.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
4 of those 8 points came after a season he had 28 points in 70 games.

That's Zack Kassian production minus all the physical/facepunchy/penalty killing things Kassian does.

Just sayin.

Yep. Strome had 28 points in 70 games and then got 4 points in 8 playoff games. Eberle had 51 points in 82 games and then got 2 points in 13 playoff games. What does that tell you? Something about stepping up or disappearing when the going gets tough? Just sayin.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why in gods name would we want Vanek as an Eberle replacement when his problems are exactly what you guys have an issue with in Eberle? Lazy floater. Not physical. Except he would make slightly less and produce slightly less. Makes no sense. Again.

Dude that was an example he used. I'm not suggesting going for Vanek. It's Williams and Eaves I'm after

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Even with these moves next summer as in 12 months from now (NOT 2 years from now), we are likely capped out or close to it.

At the lower end of expectations, with McDavid at 10 and Draisaitl at 7.5, I have the Oilers at 74 million in salary minimum for 18-19 and that assumes Maroon walks for nothing and Caggiula at a cheap 2 mill per is his replacement effectively. Also assumes we somehow clear Pouliot's salary without taking any back.

Yes, but the point is that we would be able to keep Eberle for another year or maybe even his entire contract instead of replacing him with inferior players.

Also I think there's a decent chance that Vegas takes Pouliot. Out of the available players, I don't value Pitlick or Khaira very high at all (one is stupidly injury prone, the other tops out as 3/4th line tweener with grit), they have so many options in net, and Brossoit doesn't hold value, so he isn't a great asset to trade, which leaves Reinhart and Pouliot as the legitimate options. One is a functional NHLer who is slightly overpaid. The other has literally shown nothing to say he will be in the NHL next year or the one after that for that matter.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really don't understand a lot of what Vegas is doing right now to be honest. I know they need to build for the future but so far they've reportedly passed on Plekanec, Dumba, Manson, Mrazek and DeHaan for Emelin, Haula, Stoner and Theodore, Nosek, and Berube?

They'd better nail those picks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yep. Strome had 28 points in 70 games and then got 4 points in 8 playoff games. Eberle had 51 points in 82 games and then got 2 points in 13 playoff games. What does that tell you? Something about stepping up or disappearing when the going gets tough? Just sayin.

Something about random variance and shooting percentage disappearing?

Why does Strome get a free pass for coasting and producing like a bottom sixer? Because he had an OK playoffs?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I really don't understand a lot of what Vegas is doing right now to be honest. I know they need to build for the future but so far they've reportedly passed on Plekanec, Dumba, Manson, Mrazek and DeHaan for Emelin, Haula, Stoner and Theodore, Nosek, and Berube?

They'd better nail those picks.

Tanking for Rasmus Dahlin.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Dude that was an example he used. I'm not suggesting going for Vanek. It's Williams and Eaves I'm after

Both aging and more than likely regressing and declining. I'd prefer the young player who outscored all but 20 RWs while getting 2nd line, no top PP time, and not playing with a offensively gifted center. We can get rid of cap in other ways, or just get rid of him next year. Why make our team worse now when you don't have to? That's the mindboggling part, because we WILL NOT be stuck with Eberle next year. Even if GMs play hardball next year, who gives a **** if all you want is cap space to sign those aging vets?

Strome now vs picks/prospects next year. What's the difference? Hell, those picks and prospects could turn out better than Strome anyways.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
And needed two games against an AHL Vancouver team to get even there.

You really, really have to stop this. How many people have to tell you to stop cherry picking data before you do? Holy crap.

Unless you want to adjust every single player in the league for when they play against the canucks, there's no time to waste thinking about this type of ****. Plus it's ******** anyways.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If your priority for next season is cap space, take your GM hat off now.

Why wouldn't that be a priority for next year? The Oilers are likely to be capped out next year. I don't think it's going to be so easy to "dump" Pouliot either, we likely are stuck with him for a year and then forced to buy him out next summer which will result in a cap penalty the following year to boot.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You really, really have to stop this. How many people have to tell you to stop cherry picking data before you do? Holy crap.

Unless you want to adjust every single player in the league for when they play against the canucks, there's no time to waste thinking about this type of ****. Plus it's ******** anyways.

I see no reason to not point it out. It's true.

He had 16 goals and 47 points against actual real NHL competition in 80 games followed up by 2 points in 13 playoff games.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Something about random variance and shooting percentage disappearing?

Why does Strome get a free pass for coasting and producing like a bottom sixer? Because he had an OK playoffs?

You really think that is the explanation for Eberle's playoff "performance"? Really? Did you not watch the games?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I will be a little miffed if the price to get Vegas to take back a Brouwer/Pouliot type is low and Chia didn't do it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The reaction to an Eberle trade is forecasting to be worse than Hall's.

If he ends up staying I don't want to see any of his supporters complaining on here when he's coasting by November 1st.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Seriously its starting to feel like nobody watched the playoffs.

Eberle was just awful, every game.

Even if you take away the fact he played in every game and finished 16th in team scoring. The play died on his stick almost every touch he got.

He constantly struggled to get the puck out of his end.

Who is going to replace his uselessness?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Lets put this into perspective. The 27 year old Eberle has over 100 more points then the 24 year old Ryan Strome has games played in the league. Eberle has scored over 250 more points then Ryan Strome over the duration of their careers. Remember these guys are 3 years apart in age, and Ryan Strome hasn't shown half the talent Eberle had by 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->