Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Las Vegas Exp Part 2: Mo Defence, Mo Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So why is everyone fixated on Strome? There is literally 0 rumors connecting the 2. Its just pure speculation and people trying to decode what Stauffer is spewing.

Stauffer decoding + Avs/Isles being most interested + insider rambles like Staples.

If we're looking at a 1) cheaper forward from 2) Avs or Isles that's 3) less productive and can 4) play C or W, we're looking at Nelson, Strome, Cizikas, Bailey, Grigorenko, or a bunch of Colorado trash like Colborne or Soderberg that doesn't even bear thinking about.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
ANA is set on the left side and Theodore was pretty bad in the playoffs especially against the Oilers. He wasnt really on the good side of fans.

Manson has potential to be better than Lindholm.
Theodore just looked his age and his experience level in a few moments, he'll be real good though. To me the weakest d-man was Vatanen we were bullying him a ton when he was on the ice and he's a player they should be able to count on, he's not some green rookie.

Also Lindholm is younger than Manson and already leaps and bounds better than he is, the only edge that Manson has on Lindholm is that physical nasty edge in every other way Lindholm is superior.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
How are we going to save some cap space in the coming two years?

Hmm well:
-Korpikoski buyout is off the books after this year =1M savings

-Fayne off the books this year =3.625M caphit is gone

-Pouliot with one year left on his contract is moveable and maybe even this year for a higher cap hit guy who is done after this season=4M off the books

-Re-sign Letestu or replace him internally as a 4th line center should not cost 1.8M

That right there is already 10.425M in cap which for the most part is dead or internally replaceable through--> Khaira, Pakarainen, etc for cheap.

So cap space yes it is big but lets not act like we do not have any options.

Lets get rid of good players when we should look at these types of options first and fore most.

1ra4ll.jpg

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Trade Eberle for Strome and 3.5m cap-space, use said 3.5m cap-space to sign a player to make up 25-30 points Strome lacks to break even with Eberle's overall production. Even if Strome rebounds and drops 50-60 points with McDavid he's RFA and you have to give him 4.5-5.5m as that's the market value now for 55 pt RFA players.

Where does said player slot in the line up long term?

Maroon-McDavid-Strome
Lucic-Drai-Slep
Caggiula-RNH-Pulju/XXX
Pou-Letestu-Kassian

I think our forwards are fairly set would you not think so? To me you are saying trade for Strome and find a FA stop gap for 1-2 years till Pulju is ready.

Is Eberle really worth Strome+25-30 point FA (who we are not guaranteed to sign)?

Why not try and parlay Eberle+Bear/Jones+1st for a fix on D or something that actually creates value for our team for a long time?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bob talking about how cap space has currency. Brace yourselves, Strome is coming ;).

I told you guys. I'm getting to the point of being convinced that it's going to happen. I just hope that Chia can squeeze out a 2nd as well.
Don't know why they need to do this now but I think Chia just wants to rid of Eberle altogether, the poor playoffs cemented that IMO.
All this Hamonic and Barrie talk is pipedream stuff, at least with Eberle as the centerpiece.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
You can legit do this with every, single, NHL team.

You know that right?

Not really. Injuries had very little impact on the Oilers last season and the point is that's very unlikely this coming season. We had no injuries to key players, which is very unlikely this season. If one of our key players goes down for a length of time that should impact the team significantly. That's the point being made.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
I'm not sure how I feel about Strome, but Eberle is my least favorite Oiler.

I have full confidence in Chia, aside from the Reinhart deal he has been doing a terrific job.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Small sample size, but Strome has 8 points in 15 career NHL playoff games while Eberle has 2 in 13. Just sayin'

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
If Strome is all that is being offered then I agree especially if Chia has no other deals or a UFA lined up.

We just have to look at the bigger picture and not just one deal.

There aren't any UFAs that in my opinion replace Eberle functionally. Maybe Williams. Maybe. But he's 35 years old and will be declining quite soon. So while I understand the value of losing a fight to win the war, this off-season doesn't look like it's possible for this scenario. And I'm not sure what possible trades we could make, because we don't really have much depth in any area that we are willing to lose to fill our biggest holes.

There is merit to waiting until the drafts are done and see where the chips fall, but I really don't see there being many good options available that make up for Eberle.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Even if Chia did a Strome/Ho-Sang for Eberle type deal it wouldn't be his only move.

We've seen how Chia works. He "loses" value but adds supplemental moves. Larsson for Hall had the additive of Lucic in. Yakupov for basically nothing wasn't nothing because he effectively used Yak's cap hit to go sign Kris Russell.

It would be more like

Strome + Vanek (UFA) @ $5.5 million combined + cap flexibility next summer > Eberle @ $6 million x 2 years.

We are not necessarily "worse next year" because we move Eberle even for Strome. Strome + Vanek is probably 70 points in next to 50 out with Eberle.

This. Well explained.

Sometime we have to agree to disagree with others. Not everyone share the same perspective

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Trade Eberle for Strome and 3.5m cap-space, use said 3.5m cap-space to sign a player to make up 25-30 points Strome lacks to break even with Eberle's overall production. Even if Strome rebounds and drops 50-60 points with McDavid he's RFA and you have to give him 4.5-5.5m as that's the market value now for 55 pt RFA players.
Its still better than being handcuffed when McDavid's new deal kicks in. If we have to walk away from one or both Strome and Maroon then so be it.

What a kick in the junk for the Senators. From the Conference Finals to losing your superstar's defense partner because Vegas is playing hardball. I wonder if Anaheim (and others) were able to cut a deal to save their unprotected players because they were first to negotiate in good faith or Methot was judged so valuable by Vegas that they price was significantly greater.
They have no one to blame but Phaneuf :laugh:
Having said that Karlsson ala McDavid doesnt need a star partner on his line to be successful. OTT will survive this considering the time Methot was out with injuries this season.

Hmm well:

-Pouliot with one year left on his contract is moveable and maybe even this year for a higher cap hit guy who is done after this season=4M off the books

-Re-sign Letestu or replace him internally as a 4th line center should not cost 1.8M

That right there is already 10.425M in cap which for the most part is dead or internally replaceable through--> Khaira, Pakarainen, etc for cheap.

Lets get rid of good players when we should look at these types of options first and fore most.

The thing is that Oilers might not consider Eberle 'good' anymore.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Small sample size, but Strome has 8 points in 15 career NHL playoff games while Eberle has 2 in 13. Just sayin'

4 of those 8 points came after a season he had 28 points in 70 games.

That's Zack Kassian production minus all the physical/facepunchy/penalty killing things Kassian does.

Just sayin.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
What about the player that your free agent takes the spot from? You can't just add as many players to make up points for one that you get rid of. Unless we can ice 6 players on 1 line next year, then ya ok!

That's what I mean. Williams, Vrbata, Vanek are not guarantees and if we fail to sign one after trading Eberle for strome our RW depth is Strome, Kassian, Slepyshev, Pitlick and JP. All 5 put up a combined 83 pts in 248 games.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
What a kick in the junk for the Senators. From the Conference Finals to losing your superstar's defense partner because Vegas is playing hardball. I wonder if Anaheim (and others) were able to cut a deal to save their unprotected players because they were first to negotiate in good faith or Methot was judged so valuable by Vegas that they price was significantly greater.

The Ducks had to give up a blue chip defensive player to protect their guys. The cost was quite steep.

Methot is sort of overrated imo. He's spent the bulk of his time with the Senators attached to the hip of the a guy who is going to go down as the best d-man of this generation. The Sens are not going to have much difficulty finding someone else to play with Karlsson. Plus Methot is 32 years old and only signed for another 2 seasons. Much different losing a guy like him compared to losing a guy like Vatanen/Manson who still have years left to give.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Hmm well:

Even with these moves next summer as in 12 months from now (NOT 2 years from now), we are likely capped out or close to it.

At the lower end of expectations, with McDavid at 10 and Draisaitl at 7.5, I have the Oilers at 74 million in salary minimum for 18-19 and that assumes Maroon walks for nothing and Caggiula at a cheap 2 mill per is his replacement effectively. Also assumes we somehow clear Pouliot's salary without taking any back.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Only way I move Eberle to NY is if Beavillier or Cizikas &Strome are both coming back in the deal. Thats a hockey trade and makes sense.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Honestly there shouldn't be any rush to move Eberle. If the right deal is there, sure; but it'd be a bad decision to cash out on him only to being in a comparable, but lesser, player. It'd be the equivalent of trading Gagner for Purcell, it's change for the sake of unbeneficial change.

Right now I see two holes on this team: a defensive bottom 6 centre, and a right side #4/5 defenceman.

Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Lucic-Letestu-Slepyshev
Caggiula-_____-Kassian
Extras: Khaira, Pakarinen, Pitlick

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Benning
Nurse-______
Extras: Oesterle/Reinhart, Fayne

Talbot
Brossoit

Now if a deal comes along where moving Eberle fixes those holes I'm all for it. Keep in mind also the UFA market can patch those holes too without breaking the bank: Boyle, McClement, Gordon at centre; and Stone, Russell on defence

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Only way I move Eberle to NY is if Beavillier or Cizikas &Strome are both coming back in the deal. Thats a hockey trade and makes sense.

I'd be cool with Beauvillier and Ho-Sang for Eberle, but I don't think they go for it.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
This. Well explained.

Sometime we have to agree to disagree with others. Not everyone share the same perspective

Why in gods name would we want Vanek as an Eberle replacement when his problems are exactly what you guys have an issue with in Eberle? Lazy floater. Not physical. Except he would make slightly less and produce slightly less. Makes no sense. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->