Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Las Vegas Exp Part 2: Mo Defence, Mo Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If the team wants to stagnate, then that's fine. If the team is looking to improve, the cap space actually does matter.

How does the cap space matter THIS YEAR? Strome next year needs to be reupped so your hardly saving anything and adding to the term if he clicks. If he doesn't you have Patrick O'Sullivan or Gilbert Brule version 2.0.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So youre alright paying Strome 4-5M maybe more for most likely 50-60 points. But not alright paying Eberle 6M for maybe 60-80 if he bounces back? If he doesn't you can sign him for 4M and he can put up 50 points a season with Mcdavid. I don't really get it, if were talking about cap space here.

If Strome clicks with McDavid, we are looking at his ceiling. Same as Ebs. 4-5M for an 80+ point player is justified. If you want to extend Ebs for 8M/yr then by all means

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Why take it to the extreme? There's no perfect move to solve the complex situation that Eberle (and his contract) presents. Chiarelli knows the market may shift significantly in the next 72 hours and I imagine he will continue to look for the best opportunity, which may involve holding onto the player.

have you read this thread? cap space > eberles goals

no one is opposed to trading eberle for a player that helps us win now. its the hosang + cap space > eberle part thats ridiculous.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How does the cap space matter THIS YEAR? Strome next year needs to be reupped so your hardly saving anything and adding to the term if he clicks. If he doesn't you have Patrick O'Sullivan or Gilbert Brule version 2.0.

Cap space matters this year because this is the year we have the best chance of winning a cup. Let's not try and experiment with Ebs returning to form for a 3rd time.
We have to assemble the best possible team with the available cap space we have

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If Strome clicks with McDavid, we are looking at his ceiling. Same as Ebs. 4-5M for an 80+ point player is justified. If you want to extend Ebs for 8M/yr then by all means

There's no guarantee Strome will click with McDavid. Hall and Lucic most certainly didn't. Risking that for Strome's potential is just :facepalm:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

If Strome is the player he's been so far you're looking at a hole on the roster that Kassian or Pakarinen will have to fill.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Its not really about cap space.. Its about building a contender.
Eberle just doesnt fit in the big picture due to the style of his game and the projected linemates he will have.

Chia is more interested in guys with grit. Lucic has no speed but has size. Caggiula has speed but no size. Kassian has speed and size. Spely ditto. One thing that is common in all of them is that they all have grit.

If the Oilers have 10M in cap space the start of the season... it will balloon up by trade deadline allowing us to load up for the playoffs.

A team with McDavid and Draisaitl and cap space will look darn attractive to rest of NHLers.

There is almost literally nothing Eberle can do that will make him untradeble next season. Unless he completely implodes and scored 20 points in a full season. GMs might be able to bend us over even further next season, but if your main goal here is to gain cap space, then who the **** cares? Those of us who want to keep Eberle FOR NEXT YEAR ONLY, are those of us who don't want our team regressing from last year, and making a bad trade when we don't have to will do that.

Trade Eberle this year: worse this year and next year
Trade Eberle next year: good this year, worse next year

Strome doesn't hold the kind of value that would make me want to risk losing ground next year. That's all it comes down to.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
have you read this thread? cap space > eberles goals

no one is opposed to trading eberle for a player that helps us win now. its the hosang + cap space > eberle part thats ridiculous.

Yes, I've read it, and there's an argument to be made about the value of cap space flexibility over the next few seasons as the team begins to contend (I'm not saying it's the right one, but there are certain merits).

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Strome clicking with McDavid?

He's more likely to end up on the 2nd line with RNH getting their faced caved in or on the 3rd line being a total nonfactor.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Cap Space has been in the KHL for the past two years.

ah i see it now

Кап-пространство

Goals - billion
Assists - 2 billion
points - 3 billion

well damn we should trade everyone for cap space

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
weird i was just looking over the highest scoring RWs over the last 5 years and i can find eberle but i havent been able to find Cap Space on that list anywhere.

Cap Space is a late bloomer. :laugh:

I dunno. Just makes too much sense to me to keep Eberle one more season, see if he can bounce back, give Jesse, Slepy, Caggiula, Gambardella (who I think a lot of people are sleeping on, he'll be an NHLer) another year of development.

Even with Eberle we need to add on the RW. You can sign a Williams or a Vrbata AND have Eberle for one more season.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

1ra42w.gif

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So why is everyone fixated on Strome? There is literally 0 rumors connecting the 2. Its just pure speculation and people trying to decode what Stauffer is spewing.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Its not really about cap space.. Its about building a contender.
Eberle just doesnt fit in the big picture due to the style of his game and the projected linemates he will have.

Chia is more interested in guys with grit. Lucic has no speed but has size. Caggiula has speed but no size. Kassian has speed and size. Spely ditto. One thing that is common in all of them is that they all have grit.

If the Oilers have 10M in cap space the start of the season... it will balloon up by trade deadline allowing us to load up for the playoffs.

A team with McDavid and Draisaitl and cap space will look darn attractive to rest of NHLers.

And what happens when Mcdavid or Draisaitl go down for part of the year and we can't score? Who do we throw out on the #1 PP? Letestu, Mcdavid/Draisaitl, Strome, Benning, Klefbom? Really excited to see that if one of those two get hurt.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Cap space matters this year because this is the year we have the best chance of winning a cup. Let's not try and experiment with Ebs returning to form for a 3rd time.

no lets experiment with a player who has NEVER scored as much as eberle has in the NHL ever.

the best possible team does not mean replacing actual nhl players with cap space

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So why is everyone fixated on Strome? There is literally 0 rumors connecting the 2. Its just pure speculation and people trying to decode what Stauffer is spewing.

Because it's the player that the Isles would want to peddle to try to get value out of "prospect" who's much closer to suspect.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Cap Space is a late bloomer. :laugh:

I dunno. Just makes too much sense to me to keep Eberle one more season, see if he can bounce back, give Jesse, Slepy, Caggiula, Gambardella (who I think a lot of people are sleeping on, he'll be an NHLer) another year of development.

Even with Eberle we need to add on the RW. You can sign a Williams or a Vrbata AND have Eberle for one more season.

thats the point we have been trying to make but its gotten lost somewhere.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Trade Eberle for Strome and 3.5m cap-space, use said 3.5m cap-space to sign a player to make up 25-30 points Strome lacks to break even with Eberle's overall production. Even if Strome rebounds and drops 50-60 points with McDavid he's RFA and you have to give him 4.5-5.5m as that's the market value now for 55 pt RFA players.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
What a kick in the junk for the Senators. From the Conference Finals to losing your superstar's defense partner because Vegas is playing hardball. I wonder if Anaheim (and others) were able to cut a deal to save their unprotected players because they were first to negotiate in good faith or Methot was judged so valuable by Vegas that they price was significantly greater.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
How are we going to save some cap space in the coming two years?

Hmm well:
-Korpikoski buyout is off the books after this year =1M savings

-Fayne off the books this year =3.625M caphit is gone

-Pouliot with one year left on his contract is moveable and maybe even this year for a higher cap hit guy who is done after this season=4M off the books

-Re-sign Letestu or replace him internally as a 4th line center should not cost 1.8M

That right there is already 10.425M in cap which for the most part is dead or internally replaceable through--> Khaira, Pakarainen, etc for cheap.

So cap space yes it is big but lets not act like we do not have any options.

Lets get rid of good players when we should look at these types of options first and fore most.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
There is almost literally nothing Eberle can do that will make him untradeble next season. Unless he completely implodes and scored 20 points in a full season. GMs might be able to bend us over even further next season, but if your main goal here is to gain cap space, then who the **** cares? Those of us who want to keep Eberle FOR NEXT YEAR ONLY, are those of us who don't want our team regressing from last year, and making a bad trade when we don't have to will do that.

Trade Eberle this year: worse this year and next year
Trade Eberle next year: good this year, worse next year

Strome doesn't hold the kind of value that would make me want to risk losing ground next year. That's all it comes down to.
If Strome is all that is being offered then I agree especially if Chia has no other deals or a UFA lined up.

We just have to look at the bigger picture and not just one deal.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even if Chia did a Strome/Ho-Sang for Eberle type deal it wouldn't be his only move.

We've seen how Chia works. He "loses" value but adds supplemental moves. Larsson for Hall had the additive of Lucic in. Yakupov for basically nothing wasn't nothing because he effectively used Yak's cap hit to go sign Kris Russell.

It would be more like

Strome + Vanek (UFA) @ $5.5 million combined + cap flexibility next summer > Eberle @ $6 million x 2 years.

We are not necessarily "worse next year" because we move Eberle even for Strome. Strome + Vanek is probably 70 points in next to 50 out with Eberle.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Trade Eberle for Strome and 3.5m cap-space, use said 3.5m cap-space to sign a player to make up 25-30 points Strome lacks to break even with Eberle's overall production. Even if Strome rebounds and drops 50-60 points with McDavid he's RFA and you have to give him 4.5-5.5m as that's the market value now for 55 pt RFA players.

What about the player that your free agent takes the spot from? You can't just add as many players to make up points for one that you get rid of. Unless we can ice 6 players on 1 line next year, then ya ok!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

If thats the truth RNH should have already been moved for top 4 dman and 3rd line center. We keep Eb's and add a guy like Williams or Eaves. We then look to add at the deadline. If we're truly looking to win this year, how does taking away from our weakest position help us do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino