Proposal: Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: Las Vegas Exp Part 2: Mo Defence, Mo Problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
McPhee is a ****ing tool. Dude is straight idiot. Can't wait for us to pound the **** out of the knights night in and night out.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
You really think that is the explanation for Eberle's playoff "performance"? Really? Did you not watch the games?

I criticized Eberle often this season, but having a shooting coach last summer, playing with a new stick, and confidence level at a low does also apply. Even with those 3 problems, he still managed to get more points than Strome.

And just because Strome got more points in the playoffs (small margin), there's no guarantee he'll do it again or play + have chemistry with McDavid.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I see no reason to not point it out. It's true.

He had 16 goals and 47 points against actual real NHL competition followed up by 2 points in 13 playoff games.

It's true that he scored 4 points in 2 games against the canucks, yes. But he also did that against other teams. Should we scrape through the reasons why he was lucky enough to score 2 points against other teams? Were they playing their backup? Take those out of his total. Secondary assists? Probably just had the puck hit his leg - take those off. This is a stupid, arbitrary argument that you're using that you can't possibly stand behind because if you take his points away for that, you have to take all points every player got against them. Therefore you reduce the overall points in the league and his 47 points are prorated to be just as good as his 51 overall. You just can't take only his points away and compare him to the rest of the league that way.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Even with these moves next summer as in 12 months from now (NOT 2 years from now), we are likely capped out or close to it.

At the lower end of expectations, with McDavid at 10 and Draisaitl at 7.5, I have the Oilers at 74 million in salary minimum for 18-19 and that assumes Maroon walks for nothing and Caggiula at a cheap 2 mill per is his replacement effectively. Also assumes we somehow clear Pouliot's salary without taking any back.

Yes but the argument is not against moving Eberle it is that we do not necessarily need to move him for crap value now when we can move him for crap value next year worst case scenario.

If he rebounds we get better value waiting as we do not have cap problems next year. People will pay for good players and if they do not teams always need scoring which is why you see reports 6-7 teams are interested. So someone will pay up something of moderately fair value now or in the future. If it happens now great if not and we lose him for a Strome etc. then why not just do that next year?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't get this crusade against Eberle at all. Doesn't make much sense to me to move him purely for "cap space" unless you have a legit replacement up your sleeve. Guys like Strome and Vanek are not adequate replacements...

I would have some time for Ho-Sang, or a deal involving Beauvillier, because those are guys who at least could help this team long-term.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's true that he scored 4 points in 2 games against the canucks, yes. But he also did that against other teams. Should we scrape through the reasons why he was lucky enough to score 2 points against other teams? Were they playing their backup? Take those out of his total. Secondary assists? Probably just had the puck hit his leg - take those off. This is a stupid, arbitrary argument that you're using that you can't possibly stand behind because if you take his points away for that, you have to take all points every player got against them. Therefore you reduce the overall points in the league and his 47 points are prorated to be just as good as his 51 overall. You just can't take only his points away and compare him to the rest of the league that way.

It was the last 2 games where the Canucks were dressing their 3rd string goalie, a bunch of AHL guys, and their veterans might as well have been on the golf course already. Those two games were laughers with basically nothing at stake but McDavid hitting 100.

20% of his entire regular season + playoff goal scoring came in those two useless games, I don't think it's wrong to point it out.

People can get mad at me all they want, but if you want to look at Eberle's season honestly, it's the cold, hard truth.

In game's that we actually needed him to score ... as in games against real NHL comp, he had 16 goals and 49 points in 93 games (80 regular season + 13 playoff games).

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The reaction to an Eberle trade is forecasting to be worse than Hall's.

If he ends up staying I don't want to see any of his supporters complaining on here when he's coasting by November 1st.

He scored 50+ points again on the second line, I'll be perfectly fine with him. And I see no reason that he will regress. We all saw him struggle this past year, and his shooting percentage was in the tank, combined with his shots in dangerous areas and we should see him repeat or improve.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Both aging and more than likely regressing and declining. I'd prefer the young player who outscored all but 20 RWs while getting 2nd line, no top PP time, and not playing with a offensively gifted center. We can get rid of cap in other ways, or just get rid of him next year. Why make our team worse now when you don't have to? That's the mindboggling part, because we WILL NOT be stuck with Eberle next year. Even if GMs play hardball next year, who gives a **** if all you want is cap space to sign those aging vets?

Strome now vs picks/prospects next year. What's the difference? Hell, those picks and prospects could turn out better than Strome anyways.

We can trade Ebs for picks and prospects. Then sign Eaves and Williams. Both players compliments Drai and McDavid and can play up and down the lineup. Exactly the opposite of Ebs.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
It was the last 2 games where the Canucks were dressing their 3rd string goalie, a bunch of AHL guys, and their veterans might as well have been on the golf course already. Those two games were laughers with basically nothing at stake but McDavid hitting 100.

20% of his entire regular season + playoff goal scoring came in those two useless games, I don't think it's wrong to point it out.

Except that it is. It just is. You can't fall behind "oh the Canucks just weren't trying" wall because every single year it happens and players benefit from it. You can't just take it away from Eberle because it supports your argument and suits you better. You just can't, that's not how this works.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't get this crusade against Eberle at all. Makes zero sense to move him for "cap space" at this point.

It's the 2nd year that Chia is probably more interested in clearing off the cap and I guess he figures that he'd rather have Strome to fill Eberle's spot now than wait until the trade deadline and just get a 1st. He's never going to get "equal" value for Eberle.

Also, did I see it right that Vegas is picking Brower from Calgary. Seriously, WTF?

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
We can trade Ebs for picks and prospects. Then sign Eaves and Williams. Both players compliments Drai and McDavid and can play up and down the lineup. Exactly the opposite of Ebs.

Yes. Exactly. I'm saying do that next year. Keep Ebs now because we can afford him. Trade him next year for **** and use the cap space when we can't afford to use it on Ebs. How did you just agree with me but are still arguing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->