Rumor: Trade Deadline - What TWO Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shidler

Jan 20, 2016
Keith is such a tough call. I’d like to believe he has been coasting these last few seasons to preserve himself for when we are good. If we trade him, he will probably be a major help for his new team. That’s why if they do trade him, it needs to be for a great return that a Conn Smythe caliber playoff D-man should return. The Leafs would be dumb not to offer an absolute haul for Keith at the TD IMO. But we’ll see.

Its not a tough call. We need to trade both Seabrook and Keith. Has anyone noticed how out of gas he is during 3rd period. We need young physical D man...Let the young kids play...We appreciate what Keith has done but he needs to go for the sake of team.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Its not a tough call. We need to trade both Seabrook and Keith. Has anyone noticed how out of gas he is during 3rd period. We need young physical D man...Let the young kids play...We appreciate what Keith has done but he needs to go for the sake of team.

You’re absolutely right. I keep waiting to hear about that massive trade offer coming from the Leafs. If not them, someone else. I’m not in favor of trading him just for a 1st because I think he is worth more than that to his new team. I guess that’s where it’s tough for me. If the return is weak, it’ll be tough to watch him flourish elsewhere. He just needs to be deployed better. His minutes are way too high. Give him 18-19M on a great team and he’ll be a much better player. Hopefully some team sees that and makes the move.

But, it’s probably still smart to just take the best offer.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
i really don''t mean to bust your chops or anyone else...... but come on. everyone is dwelling on moving Keith and Seabs, well that is part of the problem. yes they are but they are not the end of all problems that needs to be address with the Bhawks. the team will moving them will help, heck yeah but still the team can still help to adding pieces to the lineup.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
What would it take for Keith?

Young D + 1st? (Maatta & 2019 1st)
Cap balance, 1st? (EDIT: Pearson has 2 years left - we don't have the expiring contract, Young player(s), 1st)
Picks? (Would require retention)

We're certainly in need of another top 4 defender and a lot of our speculation has come from far-stretched Kessel deals or unlikely Johnson swaps. Having Keith come in with his pedigree and play 2nd pairing minutes behind Letang I think would be very ideal. Some of us are finding it difficult to get over his age and contract - I don't see an issue with Keith being in the 2nd pairing for the remainder of his contract.

Last edited:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What would it take for Keith?

Young D + 1st? (Maatta & 2019 1st)
Cap balance, 1st? (EDIT: Pearson has 2 years left - we don't have the expiring contract, Young player(s), 1st)
Picks? (Would require retention)

We're certainly in need of another top 4 defender and a lot of our speculation has come from far-stretched Kessel deals or unlikely Johnson swaps. Having Keith come in with his pedigree and play 2nd pairing minutes behind Letang I think would be very ideal. Some of us are finding it difficult to get over his age and contract - I don't see an issue with Keith being in the 2nd pairing for the remainder of his contract.

At a bare minimum:

2019 1st, Jarry, Aston-Reese and whatever cap dump you need to include, Pearson would be fine even with the second year.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
At a bare minimum:

2019 1st, Jarry, Aston-Reese and whatever cap dump you need to include, Pearson would be fine even with the second year.

Jarry is certainly available. We signed DeSmith this year as Murray's backup and Jarry has a relatively high upside and won't want to stay in the A forever. His name has circled for a while now.

We would LOVE to include Johnson as the cap dump to feed the D-for-D swap, however I understand if Pearson is more attractive and the desire to include ZAR.

Maatta
Johnson
2019 1st
ZAR
Simon
Jarry
Pearson

..have all been discussed as expendable pieces from the Pens org.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Jarry is certainly available. We signed DeSmith this year as Murray's backup and Jarry has a relatively high upside and won't want to stay in the A forever. His name has circled for a while now.

We would LOVE to include Johnson as the cap dump to feed the D-for-D swap, however I understand if Pearson is more attractive and the desire to include ZAR.

Maatta
Johnson
2019 1st
ZAR
Simon
Jarry
Pearson

..have all been discussed as expendable pieces from the Pens org.

Yeah, the Hawks could really use ZAR and another goalie. I’d probably do this trade. A lot of people here don’t want to trade Keith though. I think it’s time to start acquiring younger talent for a future window. Does Jarry have to clear waivers next year? With Crawford’s status being up in the air, the ability to shuttle Jarry to Rockford would add a lot of appeal for us.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, the Hawks could really use ZAR and another goalie. I’d probably do this trade. A lot of people here don’t want to trade Keith though. I think it’s time to start acquiring younger talent for a future window. Does Jarry have to clear waivers next year? With Crawford’s status being up in the air, the ability to shuttle Jarry to Rockford would add a lot of appeal for us.
in a warp way i disagree, ref the bold #1 sentence, alot of posters see that Keith has a NMC and well, the team should not pressure that player to release the team of it commitments to the players.

ref #2 bold sentence, i like the system the team needs now to add a couple of experience players on expiring contracts, for help. the expiring contracts i am meaning are contract that will be off the salary cap in 2 or 3 yrs. this also mean not spending for superstars in the off-season. need to save salary for our young rfs that will need pay raises.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

in a warp way i disagree, ref the bold #1 sentence, alot of posters see that Keith has a NMC and well, the team should not pressure that player to release the team of it commitments to the players.

ref #2 bold sentence, i like the system the team needs now to add a couple of experience players on expiring contracts, for help. the expiring contracts i am meaning are contract that will be off the salary cap in 2 or 3 yrs. this also mean not spending for superstars in the off-season. need to save salary for our young rfs that will need pay raises.

I do believe (pretty strongly) that he has to clear waivers in 2019-2020, but not sure how to check.

Which combination would you consider fair value?

Pearson (2 more years @ 3.75)
Jarry (1 more year @ 675k RFA)
ZAR (RFA)
Simon (1 more year @ 750k RFA)
Maatta (3 more years @ 4.1)
2019 1st

Optional Cap Dump:
Johnson (Lifetime @ 3.25)

ZAR and Jarry make sense from our point of view as we're stacked on RW and down the middle (though ZAR has hardly been tried at C) and already have Murray/DeSmith locked up. GMJR is obsessed with our 1st but I think that's mostly a dog and pony situation since he's traded away so many and needs to tell the media something. Pearson is a serviceable top-6 F who's got 2 more years at 3.75. Maatta would be the LD going back - 24 years old, solid and serviceable - just way too slow for the Pens system under Sullivan. Simon has played his best hockey with Crosby (surprise) but has shown some really flashy moves away from him to keep plays alive. Johnson sucks - but he can eat minutes in the bottom-4 and really doesn't cost much...just signed for an absurd length (4 more years).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’m not sure how highly regarded Fox is. Assumed he’d be pegged around a second rounder value wise.
very highly regarded, top 20 prospect in the game (well worth a 1st round pick plus right now), to get him it would need to be a lot as he was the prize Carolina wanted back in that Calgary trade. the only issue is he is a kid in his 3rd year at Harvard and can control his destiny with where he signs...seems the Canes have some fears like Calgary did that he will not sign there unless they makes some moves and open a spot for him at this deadline. he also is 1 year away from a 4 year Harvard degree, the odds of him staying are extremely high right now, anything can happen, but if you were in his skates would you leave a year early from a Harvard degree to go play for Carolina?? or stay the 4 years then control your destiny like Kayes, Butcher, etc did...Fox is almost at 1.5ppg in college as a dman lol...

Reactions: Hawkaholic

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
very highly regarded, top 20 prospect in the game (well worth a 1st round pick plus right now), to get him it would need to be a lot as he was the prize Carolina wanted back in that Calgary trade. the only issue is he is a kid in his 3rd year at Harvard and can control his destiny with where he signs...seems the Canes have some fears like Calgary did that he will not sign there unless they makes some moves and open a spot for him at this deadline. he also is 1 year away from a 4 year Harvard degree, the odds of him staying are extremely high right now, anything can happen, but if you were in his skates would you leave a year early from a Harvard degree to go play for Carolina?? or stay the 4 years then control your destiny like Kayes, Butcher, etc did...Fox is almost at 1.5ppg in college as a dman lol...
The prize they wanted was Dougie Hamilton

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

He is not worth a first due to his potential go back to school. Talent 1st? 100%.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He is not worth a first due to his potential go back to school. Talent 1st? 100%.
of course, and that is what I am saying - his situation is messy not many teams are going to trade for that unless you are New York where you have a legit shot to get him as a local boy.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yep. I think the Flames knew that too.
they did and got the best return they could out of it. Hamilton has been shopped around yet again this year, he is not the prize in that deal for Carolina, Carolina liked him but they needed to make a few changes overall.. but can't blame their thought process of trying to lure Fox as an American team on the East Coast with a decent team/defense overall...not sure it works but that kid (Fox) has the chance to be at the very least another Krug out there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Maybe, but the best player in that deal was clearly Hamilton.
and yet they are actively shopping him (Hamilton) around for apparently the past month plus?? I am not saying Hamilton isn't good or they didn't want him, but for them to part with Hanifin, Fox had to come back as a homerun swing...if they do not sign Fox like CS said, this trade will go down as one of the worst in recent memory if they lose Ferland as well..

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
Wait till the deadline and the Oilers will be desparate enough to take whatever they can get for him. I can't real see any deals until maybe the day before the deadline when teams get most desparate with the deadline looming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad