Rumor: Trade Deadline - What TWO Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
Does it make more sense to go all in on one of Panarin or Stone, or to pad out the roster with multiple depth signings like Ferland, Dzingel, Silfverberg?

The latter might make more sense. We already have the superstars (Kane, Toews, DeBrincat, Strome). Now give them the complimentary pieces to work with.
That's an interesting question. I think it depends on how much money Panarin/Stone want. If those two demand top dollar and you can get someone like Dzingel for 5.5m or somewhere around that, it may very well be a better deal to sign the cheaper UFA and use the extra cap space to get another middle 6 forward.

It also depends on who we draft. If we get Hughes, Kakko, or another forward who projects to become an impact top 6 guy within the near future, I would think very carefully about whether we will be able to pay our non-Strome/Cat RFAs down the line if we blow all our cap space on one of the premium UFAs.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It’s the Oilers. You just never know.
I’m not willing to give up any good prospects for him honestly. A 3rd round pick is the highest pick I’d give them. You can package that up with Perlini or Hayden or whatever. It won’t be enough to get him, and I wouldn’t be heartbroken.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I’m not willing to give up any good prospects for him honestly. A 3rd round pick is the highest pick I’d give them. You can package that up with Perlini or Hayden or whatever. It won’t be enough to get him, and I wouldn’t be heartbroken.
I think Sikura+3rd or Forsling might work, and I wouldn't mind that at all. Puljujarvi has some issues but I wonder how many are culture related.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I think alot of teams now will do what the Hawks did to get Strome. A Schmaltz type young, established player I'm sure the Oilers will try and ask for.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I understand that some of you think Dzingel, Silfverberg and Ferland combined to 15-17 millions (or two of them combined 10mil) is better than Panarin or Stone at $10 million but I’d rather spend the money to one superstar forward or either Karlsson.

Those three are looking for 5-6 year x 5 millions deals and maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think they are worth it. I’d rather spend the money to Stone or Panarin and get the depth from our younger guys via draft eventually. We already have potential pieces.

Dzingel is the one guy I’d like but Ferland and Silf doesn’t get into me.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Would love for Stan to get him cheap.

Agent is based out of Chicago as well. Could fit the criteria Stan is looking for. I haven’t watched Puljujarvi enough to have an opinion...but is his hockey IQ lacking as some suggest? Is he just a more talented Perlini? All tools and no tool box

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Agent is based out of Chicago as well. Could fit the criteria Stan is looking for. I haven’t watched Puljujarvi enough to have an opinion...but is his hockey IQ lacking as some suggest? Is he just a more talented Perlini? All tools and no tool box
That's been the knock, but just like Strome he's produced in the AHL and is stuck in the bottom 6 in Edmonton. When they've put him with McDavid he's done somewhat better for them. They should have stapled him to McDavid and left him there until age 23-24. I don't understand how teams can draft a F top 5 and not play them in the top 6 until they're absolutely sure they can't cut it there. Just baffling player development. I guess that is why AZ has sucked for 5 years and Edmonton for 12.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
I understand that some of you think Dzingel, Silfverberg and Ferland combined to 15-17 millions (or two of them combined 10mil) is better than Panarin or Stone at $10 million but I’d rather spend the money to one superstar forward or either Karlsson.

Those three are looking for 5-6 year x 5 millions deals and maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think they are worth it. I’d rather spend the money to Stone or Panarin and get the depth from our younger guys via draft eventually. We already have potential pieces.

Dzingel is my favorite of the second tier UFAs as well. I like that he's trended up each of the past several years and is on pace to hit around 60 points. He's also a local guy so he'll be more motivated to perform.
Silfverberg is basically a 40-point guy so I wouldn't bother going after him, and it sounds like he will resign with the Ducks anyway.
Ferland is intriguing, but he's also the riskiest acquisition since physical players like him are significantly more likely to regress than your average player. I would be hesitant to add him unless we strike out on everyone else.

Personally, assuming everyone goes to free agency, I would sign exactly 1 of Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, or Karlsson (the latter only if we move Keith or Seabrook at the same time), while taking how much money each of them costs into consideration if we have a choice between two or more. For example, if I can choose between Panarin and Stone but Stone is 1.5m million cheaper I'm taking Stone in a heartbeat. I would then bank any cap space we have left for RFA raises or trade opportunities unless there are cheap and useful depth forwards available (3rd line or really good 4th line types).

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I haven’t watched Puljujarvi enough to have an opinion...but is his hockey IQ lacking as some suggest? Is he just a more talented Perlini? All tools and no tool box

Pretty much. His hockey sense isn't nearly as poor as @Kevin Musto suggest, but it isn't very high either. Kid is very talented and big PF develop slower than most. Right now, I see Stalberg with better hands (maybe a bit more physicality too) which is still a useful player. He's much better than Perlini. In fact, I'm not sure what Perlini does better as a player.

Reactions: BK

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Dzingel is my favorite of the second tier UFAs as well. I like that he's trended up each of the past several years and is on pace to hit around 60 points. He's also a local guy so he'll be more motivated to perform.
Silfverberg is basically a 40-point guy so I wouldn't bother going after him, and it sounds like he will resign with the Ducks anyway.
Ferland is intriguing, but he's also the riskiest acquisition since physical players like him are significantly more likely to regress than your average player. I would be hesitant to add him unless we strike out on everyone else.

Personally, assuming everyone goes to free agency, I would sign exactly 1 of Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, or Karlsson (the latter only if we move Keith or Seabrook at the same time), while taking how much money each of them costs into consideration if we have a choice between two or more. For example, if I can choose between Panarin and Stone but Stone is 1.5m million cheaper I'm taking Stone in a heartbeat. I would then bank any cap space we have left for RFA raises or trade opportunities unless there are cheap and useful depth forwards available (3rd line or really good 4th line types).

Agree completely.

I’d try to lure Dzingel to hometown with proposal like 4x4m if we get Stone somewhere near $9mil.

Dzingel - Toews - Stone
DeBrincat - Strome - Kane
Kubalik/Sikura - Kahun - Saad
Barratt - Kämpf - Caggiula

That is pretty good forward group to go with. At C we might be a bit poor in some regard because we don’t know how Kahun would perform but I’d give him the opportunity.

I’d slot Kubalik as a wildcard now. And who knows about Kurashev, Highmore etc.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
Agree completely.

I’d try to lure Dzingel to hometown with proposal like 4x4m if we get Stone somewhere near $9mil.

Dzingel - Toews - Stone

That is pretty good forward group to go with. At C we might be a bit poor in some regard because we don’t know how Kahun would perform but I’d give him the opportunity.

The best thing I like about your lineup there is that there's no more dead weight :)

C'mon Stan hurry up and trade Kunitz and pals already. You already gave Kunitz his tribute. Now move his butt to a playoff team so he can enjoy getting pasted by Tampa!

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
i like the idea of the Bhawks FO calling and talking to Edm..... ask them on 1 of their d-man a prospect and a forward not name Lucic.

they need to do a salary dump.
Puljujarvi?

puterwiz53

Nov 17, 2010
Saint John, New Brunswick
The big problem in Edmonton is that they have rushed their young players too quickly and this tends to stunt their growth. I believe Pul would be much better off on another team that would give him a bit of time to develop properly. Some team will get him on the cheap as the OIlers can only hold out for so long and it sounds like his agent wants him out of Edmonton.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain

I am still on the Panarin bandwagon.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Gagner is reporting to the Oilers and not AHL where spooner was. Oilers are probably either gonna have to send Puljujarvi to Bakersfield or move him

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hard to think we would be buyers or sellers given we do not want to give away more picks or top assets in the pipeline...

If however ...we do trade for more cap relief to pursue ufas July 1st ...we could hold off trading say Saad till then ..but the return opportunity NOW if we traded him at the TDL would be greater I would think ..

Would we DARE trade to a team pursuing a Western Conference wildcard in direct competition with us?

Consider where we are now= drafting 10th pre-lotto ...if we remained 10th at the finish ,means we could draft anywhere from 1st to 14th depending on lotto results. ..

I think our top 3 targets if we draft 4th-14 would be :

Alex Turcotte,Peyton Krebs,Alex Newhook (I have soured on the 2 Big WHL centers Dach and Cozens whose pace of production has dropped over the last month ) so if centers are what we want I would be targeting the mid-size ones who skate better...that is Turcotte,Krebs or Newhook...

They probably are all off the board by pick #12
.so if we draft after that we may be looking at wingers like Kaliyev,Lavoie or perhaps Brett Leason who us 19 years pols going on 20 but would be reader perhaps to play in the show next season.

However ..I notice the Av are currently drafting 11th but because they own the Ottawa pick they might want to be buyers NOW to try to up their chances at a wildcard.

Maybe trade Saad and Forsling to them +a 4th for theirvown first and some other asset orb pick or contract take-back.

If Saad did not help them get to the playoffs, they could still trade him in the summer and since he has 2 more seasons of cost certainty remaining they could probably get back a first anyway though it might be a late first at the draft ..or they could keep him if he fits their cap plans going forward.

We could demand another pick from the Avs if they traded him I'm the summer or if they win a round or get to Cup Final in playoffs.

Now I know this might hurt our wild card chances by bolstering depth of a wildcard rival...but the benefits to us are:

1. If the loss of Saad makes us lose more we get a better pick .

2.If we still manage to win and get in ,but the Avs also win eough to get in, then we probably own 2 picks in the 17 -19 range (because neither team likely to get to a Conference or Cup Final) and Then we could use the 2 picks to move up to 8-12 and get our original targets in the 10-12 range we hope are there or use 1 or both of them to trade for a prospect of sone other team ((eg. 2 first picks for Kasperi Kappinen ? )...

3. If the Avs fail to win a wild card and we also fail to get in then Both these picks would be lottery picks in likely 8-15 range ..gives us 2 chanel to move up..maybe we get lucky and get a top 3 pick?Or we trade them to move up..or keep and use the other in a trade for some reader asset.

My point is ...it at first would seem illogical to help a rival for a wildcard..but the draft benefits to us by ding this would be extremely beneficial to get it g our target or perhaps targets at the draft and or in trades for review a sets.

If do "do the usual and just trade Saad to some valid Cup contender looking for forward depth and some goals and a payer who usually plays better in playoff style hockey then we are a surfing the first rounder we get back is ONLY a very late draft pick in round one ..so better to risk helping a wild -card rival ...counter-intuitive as it first seems.

THE longer term benefits to us are a lot better if we used Sa ad with this trade statrate than the usual trade to contender strategy ...because the draft value back should be better...

There is a risk he goes hot and helps them to Conference or Cup Final. ..but we are taming Saad ..not like they are getting a 35 goal or 70 pints impact guy.. So I would roll the dice he hardly helps them at all..

The question us ...do they want to trade for him if we let them know we are trading him and are giving them 1st Crack if they can meet our price. .if not we go elsewhere.

I know what I would do from the Hawks side. .I do not know if the Avs really are "all in" now or are just going with whatever happens...want to back both their irst rounders ...hope the y g et lucky and may have 2 top 3 picks!

In that case ...they would not be buyers..especially at that price.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Agree completely.

Dzingel - Toews - Stone

I really like that forward group. I don't think Dzingel will take that large of a discount though. Panarin might though (just to be clear, ~$9.5M). And, heck yes, Kahun as 3C.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Forgot to post these the other day:

Nashville only scouts us when Kunitz is in the lineup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille