Rumor: Trade Deadline - What TWO Do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Bowman should be targeting teams on the fringes of the playoffs...either side of the line. Hopefully the teams fails to make the playoffs and the Hawks gain another lottery pick or two.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
1) I'd see if it is possible to center a trade around Saad for Hamilton. Both are having disappointing seasons but Hamilton's rate stats are very good.
2) Trade Gustafson for the best asset you can get whether it be a pick or young forward.
3) Trade Anisimov for anything in order to clear cap space for 2019 UFA.
4) Take a salary cap dump on an upcoming UFA for an asset. The Hawks have over 4 M in unused cap sapce.
5) Trade Seabrook :laugh:

Reactions: OTC

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
1) I'd see if it is possible to center a trade around Saad for Hamilton. Both are having disappointing seasons but Hamilton's rate stats are very good.
2) Trade Gustafson for the best asset you can get whether it be a pick or young forward.
4) Take a salary cap dump on an upcoming UFA for an asset. The Hawks have over 4 M in unused cap sapce.
What can we really get for Saad? We can move his contract. I can be convinced to keep or sell Saad going forward.

I have to think someone will take Anisimov's contract. He must be moved.

Rather than Seabrook who will be almost impossible to trade, Bowman has to make a decision on Keith. And no, contrary to belief, the Hawks aren't getting multiple picks and a prospect for Keith. His LONG TERM contract prevents that. A high draft pick is more realistic. We probably have to take an expiring contract back.

I'd rather roll the dice on Gus for another half the year. With Kane, Toews, Cat, and Strome on PP1, Gus' stock will continue to appreciate. I think we're selling too early.

Reactions: OTC

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Hamilton is apparently worth DeBrincat...

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Hamilton is apparently worth DeBrincat...
I don’t understand his value to people. Hamilton isn’t a very consistent player. I’ve watched few of his games but a young guy to be traded a few times already and have his name always circling around “rumors” seems odd to me considering I felt like he was supposed to be a center piece on every team he’s been on.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Why keep posting trade Seabrook even if it is tongue-in-cheek...cause everyone knows he is untradeable with his inability to play the game and that contract..so stop posting such hilarious never can happens. .

OK .. options...trade marginal players like AA,Kruger ....

Or trade mid-high cap hits like Saad and Keith...

Or go full Monty and trade Kane at the high sell point for a big haul..

The suggestion posed by an Avs guy (I think he is either a blogger who covers them or maybe he is a beat writer covering them )was a Kane +Gustafsson deal for Barrie, MaKar, and 2 picks (the Ottawa 1stpick owned by the Avs and a Colorado 4th) and a 2020 2nd.

Clearly that deal helps the Avs contend immediately whereas now they are a playoff team but probably not deep enough up front to contend for the Cup on a window for the next 3-4 years...

It basically kick-starts the Hawks for a full re-build ..

BUT ..the problem is that even though Makar is better as Right shot Dman than Boqvist or Mitchell,or Jokiharju , a real stud dman playing his sophomore season at U-Mass ...he is Another under 6'0 Right side PMD type..It is a clog there of too many of the same type even though Makar would best of all of them in talent.
Not really what we need.

But conversely..maybe it gives us Both Jack Hughes and Kappo Kakko in whichever order it may turn out for the 1-2 picks ( our own pick and the Avs owned pick from Ottawa).

If we knew for sure that we could get the 1-2 picks that way..maybe we would trade Kane in such a deal with the Avs at the trade deadline ...but...we cannot know that for sure.

It could be that both picks are not in the top two but only in the top 5 because even if we and Ottawa finish bottom two ,teams higher than those finishes could move up via lotto wins.

So we cannot be guaranteed anything g .
Obviously a Hughes-Kakko draft in our stable would propel our re-build for the next 10-15 years of contending for Cups , ..but we cannot be certain we get even 1 of them.

If it
Came out trade 30 yrold Kane for Jack Hughes or for Kakko ...you should consider it if the extras are enough in the deal to move Kane..But as I said..no certainty it would work out to plan. .

Because no certainty in this ..it will not happen ..

However ...a 3-way deal Might make more sense this summer.

By then wewould know for sure where we and everyone else drafts ..

If we and the Avs are drafting 1-2 ...then certainty makes the outlines of a 3-way possible ...

The difference is that we do the deal with the Avs .but then trade Makar and the 2019 4th and tgex2020 2nd from the Avs to TB for Brayden Point who they cannot sign due to cap hell...

This would give us Hughes and Point and Kakko ..all Young studs we would have as our re-build cogs for a long time ..

This helps 3 teams ...

I do not know if the cap ramifications work for just a Makar and picks deal for Point in just a 2-way between the Avs and TB...so maybe that makes more sense for Colorado if they can do that ..but the problem is that Barrie is a big cap hit..Point will want big $$$$..
Not sure Colorado can afford Point of they cannot dump off the Tyson Barrie Co tract for a cheaper 1-way dman (hence why we take Barrie and dump Gus to them in that deal)..But obviously TB wants a cheap Makar but not an expensive Barrie too.

So deals involve not just players but cap issues. .and so it very well could be so e kind of 3 -way.

But the Hawks Must decide if the full re-build is on to part with their only star and best plauer in Kane..while his price is high..

We probably cannot win with Kane and Toresources in the next 3 seasons of our re-build to get early firsts takes only the slow route ...

If trading a Kane speeds up the Gaul of top new talent then maybe we need to cosine "going nuckear" in the trade /re-build full Monty version.

But the Marketing Depot. Objects. .cause if we trade Kane..nobody buys tickets...Right?

Hockey decisions vs. Selig g tickets for the Now.

Methinks the Marketing guys win the argument and Rocky gets cold feet..

So we do the longer route with 19 and 88i staying ..no full re-build just hope we tank for 2 more season after this...No contending g all the years till maybe the final season 9f the Toes -Kane Contracts ...

by then they both may be over the cliff. ...

So weigh the opportunity costs of refusing to sell high on our best tradeable assets vs. the hit to the Rocky pocketbook for 2-3 more seasons till the young talent all gels to contender ..

What will be the decision ,Rocky/McD ...hockey decisions or marketing considerations?

Stay tuned.

But I do not think any trade of Kane would happen toll summer before the draft..If it happens.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I think Saad + Gus is fair value for Nylander without any additions. However Leaf fans were somehow insulted at Jokiharju + Saad @ 50% :laugh:

With how Nylander contract is structured, I would bet he gets moved in the offseason.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Saad + Gus is fair value for Nylander without any additions. However Leaf fans were somehow insulted at Jokiharju + Saad @ 50% :laugh:

With how Nylander contract is structured, I would bet he gets moved in the offseason.

That is why I put the value in the middle.

Saad would fit well with Matthews.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

At 6.9 I'd definitely be good with Nylander. I think for an $900,000, he's an upgrade over Saad.

If Saad is a 40 point winger and Gus is a 50 point defender, I'd say the value of them combined is close to Nylander.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility but I think the Leafs would rather hang on to Nylander and see how he develops.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Gallagher and Saad are the same age...
It’s just a terrible trade for Montreal. Even if you equate Saad as equal to Gallagher, Gallagher is way cheaper and throwing in our garbage doesn’t move the needle. Plus Montreal’s biggest issue is LD.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Toronto is not trading Nylander for a forward. They will probably lose Gardiner to free agency. One of Nylander, Kapenen, or possibly Kadri will be traded for a dman. Trouba would be the perfect fit for them.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Toronto is not trading Nylander for a forward. They will probably lose Gardiner to free agency. One of Nylander, Kapenen, or possibly Kadri will be traded for a dman. Trouba would be the perfect fit for them.
Then why not re-sign Gardiner? The whole point of letting him walk is they have no cap space to re-sign him.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
That's why the proposal was Saad + Gus. But it still doesn't solve their RHD issue.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
That's why the proposal was Saad + Gus. But it still doesn't solve their RHD issue.

If they trade Nylander the principal return will be a top pairing dman. Gus is a 3rd pairing dman on a good team. Nylander for Saad/Gus would be a poor trade for Toronto. If I were Toronto, I wouldn't even do that trade for Kapanen. Gustafson is the type of dman that would be exposed in a tough playoff series where his best asset, PP QB, would not be as important since there are less PPs called. Plus, for this year they have Reilly and Gardner so they don't even need another PP QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad