Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline - So How About that Luongo Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Well we could also point to Pascal Dupuis 33 points in 82 games, or even say Milan Lucic's 25 points in 62 games.

Those are other comparisons aswell. And I don't think Raymond is Iginla or Jagr. Not that he is Lucic either but I don't hear BOS or PIT complaining about those guys lack of career playoff production.

Ya and Dupuis has 17 goals this year... :laugh: He's tied for 8th in the league in goals.

When Raymond starts going on 35-40 goal season clips i'll eat all my words and he can have a NTC.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Did anyone see lebruns article?

"Sources tell ESPN.com that the Canucks were willing to unload Luongo on Toronto for goalie Ben Scrivens and a pair of second-round picks in their final, final offer before the minutes ticked away. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23232/rumblings-luongo-deal-fails-to-launch

I find that heavily suspect, both in how desperate it makes us appear and Toronto refusing. Scrivens and two seconds is peanuts. A bit too conveniently wrapped up in the media's opinion of the situation for my liking. Having said that, it does say we either have to accept Lu's value is minuscule at best, and Schneider is our only hope to get value back for a goaltender.

TheDiver*

So? Okay he scored a few timely goals, but his overall production was no better than Mason Raymonds was. I don't hear anyone worrying about Higgins producing in the playoffs?

Raymond played with Ryan Kesler.

Raymond has 7 goals in 51 career playoff games.

Higgins has 10 goals in 52 career playoff games.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
So? Okay he scored a few timely goals, but his overall production was no better than Mason Raymonds was. I don't hear anyone worrying about Higgins producing in the playoffs?

As mentioned he had a broken foot too.

(seriously you watched that run right?)

Hits:
-Higgins: 70, Raymond: 19
Face-Offs:
-Higgins: 51%, Raymond: 49%
Blocked Shots:
-Higgins: 16, Raymond: 4
Shooting %:
-Higgins: 8%, Raymond: 3%

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ya Higgins was a warrior in that run... i'm actually shocked he was compared to Raymond.

Am I in a bubble where only I think Raymond isn't a 2nd line winger? :laugh:

He's a second line winger in a pinch but probably better cast as a third liner along with Hansen, IMO.
I'd say we have the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler and Roy who are clear top 6 players (that's 5). Then take who ever is playing well of Higgins, Hansen, Booth, Kassian and Raymond and put them in the top 6. It's pretty much the same for every team. Most teams have a tweener playing in the top 6.
Actually, if you do the math, Hansen is on pace for about 50 points. Now I hate the phrase on pace, but that's top 6 production on most teams. Raymond is on pace for 42 points and 21 goals. That also sounds like top 6 production.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Shooting %:
-Higgins: 8%, Raymond: 3%

All that tells me is that they were both pretty unlucky.

Actually, if you do the math, Hansen is on pace for about 50 points. Now I hate the phrase on pace, but that's top 6 production on most teams. Raymond is on pace for 42 points and 21 goals. That also sounds like top 6 production.

Hansen is Top 50 in ES points. There shouldn't even be a discussion about whether he's a 2nd line player or not. Not everyone has to be a skill guy.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Disappointed that Gillis couldn't find us a better 'depth defenceman' today.

Shouldn't have been hard to bring on board someone more capable than Cam Barker. :shakehead Heck, Kurtis Foster is pretty much as bad as Barker, but at least he's got a big RH bomb, and he was on waivers.

But when you see the haul Buffalo got for a quality player like Pominville...we wouldn't have had the assets to pull that kind of thing off, even if we'd wanted to completely gut our future. No reason to sell the entire future just to ruin our cap situation even more for next year.

And the Luongo situation looks like there was just...nothing out there. As i expected. Didn't make sense to give Luongo away now. We'd have to go out and find a backup goalie if we did that, and they'd be of a much lower calibre. So we'd be giving Luongo away AND giving up assets to fill the hole that creates. Makes more sense at this point to just wait and see what shakes out in the summer. If we have to give Luongo away for basically nothing in the summer...at least we don't have to give up a pick/prospect/whatever to bring a capable backup on board. So it essentially costs us less to keep Luongo for the rest of the year and give him away in the summer.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He's a second line winger in a pinch but probably better cast as a third liner along with Hansen, IMO.
I'd say we have the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler and Roy who are clear top 6 players (that's 5). Then take who ever is playing well of Higgins, Hansen, Booth, Kassian and Raymond and put them in the top 6. It's pretty much the same for every team. Most teams have a tweener playing in the top 6.

And how many of those players can produce on the powerplay?

I really hope Roy can because Raymond, Booth, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen cannot.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No but i'd be much more willing to forgive Raymond's past playoff stats if he had double the goals he had right now...

Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis are now goal scoring machines. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they play on either side of number 87. When you have Crosby and Malkin as your two centers I don't think anyone is going to argue that our top 6 is as good as Pittsburghs.

TheDiver*

Hansen is Top 50 in ES points. There shouldn't even be a discussion about whether he's a 2nd line player or not. Not everyone has to be a skill guy.

I agree.

In 2006, the Canucks had Mikael Samuelsson on their 2nd line.

Hansen 2013 > Samuelsson 2011

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
Disappointed that Gillis couldn't find us a better 'depth defenceman' today.

Shouldn't have been hard to bring on board someone more capable than Cam Barker. :shakehead Heck, Kurtis Foster is pretty much as bad as Barker, but at least he's got a big RH bomb, and he was on waivers.

I never saw the need for a depth defenseman.

Edler-Garrison (throw them together until they work, as one poster suggested)
Bieksa-Hamhuis
Ballard-Tanev
(Alberts)

Seems solid, although I would stop mix-matching the pairings and let them develop chemistry.

TheDiver*

Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis are now goal scoring machines. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they play on either side of number 87.

Guess which year Warren Young played on Mario Lemieux's line?:

young_b_zoom.jpg

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Raymond has been decent on the second powerplay. Roy and Kesler have a good tarck record on the powerplay.

Pulled a random team (LA... 12th best powerplay).

Raymond's 4 PP points this year would be 8th on that team in PP points.

Roy and Kesler I don't have a problem with.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Ya and Dupuis has 17 goals this year... :laugh: He's tied for 8th in the league in goals.

When Raymond starts going on 35-40 goal season clips i'll eat all my words and he can have a NTC.
Dupuis is playing alongside Sidney Crosby. :laugh: You really don't think that Raymond would do well beside him aswell?

See thats the point, Dupuis is playing well so there is no worries on the PIT side of things despite not having the greatest career numbers. Raymond is playing well here too despite not having the greatest career playoff numbers. So why can't we just be satisfied with that and hope he continues it like Pens fans?

And whats Lucic's story.

LickTheEnvelope

Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Chris Kunitz and Pascal Dupuis are now goal scoring machines. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that they play on either side of number 87. When you have Crosby and Malkin as your two centers I don't think anyone is going to argue that our top 6 is as good as Pittsburghs.

So if Raymond is playing with the Sedins he has 17 goals right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln