Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline - So How About that Luongo Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
As mentioned he had a broken foot too.

(seriously you watched that run right?)

Hits:
-Higgins: 70, Raymond: 19
Face-Offs:
-Higgins: 51%, Raymond: 49%
Blocked Shots:
-Higgins: 16, Raymond: 4
Shooting %:
-Higgins: 8%, Raymond: 3%
Yeah I did.

And I'm not trying to knock Higgins. Anyways you are going off track. He is better in those areas. That wasn't the argument, it was offensive contribution in the playoffs. Higgins playoff track record isn't anymore impressive than Raymonds and he and Raymond had the exact same production in our last run. I don't hear anyone complaining about Higgins, but people are complaining about Raymond. Despite Raymond having a really good season where he is contributing at a 2nd line rate.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Pulled a random team (LA... 12th best powerplay).

Raymond's 4 PP points this year would be 8th on that team in PP points.

Roy and Kesler I don't have a problem with.

So he'd be solidly in their second unit powerplay just like he is ours. LA presumably has 10 powerplay players. I'm not sure what your point is.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Yes, no question, Higgins was far better in the playoffs.

That said, Raymond is younger and may have a bit more upside (compared to his own past seasons).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So luongo is not even worth scrivens and two firsts. That's what happens when you wait way to long before you pull the deal.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
I don't understand all the doom and gloom surrounding the team lately. We're not a powerhouse, it was great while it lasted that one magical season. But at the end of the day the 2013 Canucks are still a strong team with a few weaknesses.

Roy looks like a great pickup, and I'm glad we didn't give away Loungo for scraps. I wish we could have made a few more moves, but whatever, lets just see how things unfold. It'll be kind of nice going into the playoffs with minor expectations, maybe we'll be in for a nice surprise and if we bow out early, well we all know the team has some work to do anyways, right? ;)

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Look at the ransom Tampa gave up for Ben Bishop.

You can't help but wonder what they would have given Vancouver for Schneider.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So luongo is not even worth scrivens and two firsts. That's what happens when you wait way to long before you pull the deal.

Or you know, he never got that type of value in the first place. In which case, the goaltending we're getting out of him now is more beneficial to us than whatever crap Gillis was offered.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Well we see why clowe said he wanted to play in the east because its different, goals much easier to come by, he has banged in two standing alone in front of net all alone

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Exactly why we need to move Schneider.

Agreed, moving Schneider is likely the best move for the organization.

Makes sense in a way - all of Lou and the Sedins have maybe 3-4 years of quality hockey left, and some of our D-man contracts will have expired as well.

Go for it, and then blow up and rebuild properly.

The difference between Schneider and Luongo is simply not that big.

TheDiver*

Yes, no question, Higgins was far better in the playoffs.

That said, Raymond is younger and may have a bit more upside (compared to his own past seasons).

Raymond is barely younger. 2 Years. One guy's 27 the other is 29. Not a huge difference.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Agreed, moving Schneider is likely the best move for the organization.

Makes sense in a way - all of Lou and the Sedins have maybe 3-4 years of quality hockey left, and some of our D-man contracts will have expired as well.

Go for it, and then blow up and rebuild properly.

The difference between Schneider and Luongo is simply not that big.

I don't know why this is even brought up as an option. Gillis has openly talked about trading Luongo. Luongo has openly talked about moving elsewhere and getting this over with. There's nothing to patch up. Schneider is this team's goalie of the future.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Raymond played with Ryan Kesler.

Raymond has 7 goals in 51 career playoff games.

Higgins has 10 goals in 52 career playoff games.

Higgins has 3 more goals in 3 more points, its really not a huge difference to be fair.

Here's my thing. Whether you think Raymond is a top 6 forward or not. (This season he has so far shown he has, as he has shown he can be in the past)

I don't see why everyone worries so much about Raymond's production in the upcoming playoffs, but not Higgins, when they have similar career numbers and when there playoff production in Vancouver is the same. (Raymond actually has 1 more point) And when Raymond is having a better year than Higgins this season.

Like every team worries if there players will fizzle out, every team. This isn't a fault of MG's and this isn't concerns that are only subjective to us.

Like what if Pominville goes cold in the playoffs and get 0 points and the Wild are bounced in the 2nd round?

I mean c'mon.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I don't know why this is even brought up as an option. Gillis has openly talked about trading Luongo. Luongo has openly talked about moving elsewhere and getting this over with. There's nothing to patch up. Schneider is this team's goalie of the future.

You just heard Luongo say that he loves the city and the organization.

There are no bridges burned here, for all we know it might take one short conversation to get Lou back on board here.

If Gillis hasn't explored the opportunity cost here, he should be fired for not doing his due diligence.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

Exactly, but on hfboards people want to play fantasy gm and it gives them more options.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

It's been obvious since after last year's playoffs. We will trade Luongo for whatever we can get this summer and move on. It's Schneider's team now and has been for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->