Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline - So How About that Luongo Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
And we also get to see the bad Fleury. He and their defence are the weak links for Pitts.

I don't care if he has a cup, I still don't think he is a big game goalie.

Deep down, there is always the threat he will do something like this.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
So luongo is not even worth scrivens and two firsts. That's what happens when you wait way to long before you pull the deal.

the toronto leak did not mention anything about 2 first round picks...i think gillis would take any deal that included 1 first round pick and run away like a bandit

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
You just heard Luongo say that he loves the city and the organization.

While holding back tears over not being traded elsewhere. He's done here. It's time to move on. If he stayed, there would always be stories about how Schneider is lighting it up elsewhere. Every bad game would be scrutinized. His teammates would be in an awkward position and so would he. There's nothing good to be had by going with Luongo.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Did anyone see lebruns article?

"Sources tell ESPN.com that the Canucks were willing to unload Luongo on Toronto for goalie Ben Scrivens and a pair of second-round picks in their final, final offer before the minutes ticked away. "

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23232/rumblings-luongo-deal-fails-to-launch

If true, this was just another massive blunder by Nonis.

Agreed, moving Schneider is likely the best move for the organization.

Makes sense in a way - all of Lou and the Sedins have maybe 3-4 years of quality hockey left, and some of our D-man contracts will have expired as well.

Go for it, and then blow up and rebuild properly.

The difference between Schneider and Luongo is simply not that big.

Certainly not big enough to justify the difference in trade value. This non-move might just end up being a blessing in disguise. If Schneider got injured, the Canucks have nothing in the pipeline, and this is a tough market to play in for goaltenders. Trade Schneider in the off-season and let Luongo bring Lack along next season.

This playoffs could change everything. One good and two OK playoff games by Schneider after two average games by Luongo, and the fan base was ready to run Luongo out of town. If Schneider doesn't perform up to expectations, the fan base will turn on him in a heartbeat.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While holding back tears over not being traded elsewhere. He's done here. It's time to move on. If he stayed, there would always be stories about how Schneider is lighting it up elsewhere. Every bad game would be scrutinized. His teammates would be in an awkward position and so would he. There's nothing good to be had by going with Luongo.

Agreed. They are both great goalies. We should keep the younger guy and try to keep icing a competitive team. There will be other holes to fill in the future. Our goaltending should at least be set for a while.

John Bender*

Agree 1000%

John Bender*

Agreed. They are both great goalies. We should keep the younger guy and try to keep icing a competitive team. There will be other holes to fill in the future. Our goaltending should at least be set for a while.

Exactly. With Schneider, you are set in goal for years go come. Just avoid the big long term contract and all is well. (Long term goalie contracts seem to always be a major mistake).

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
This playoffs could change everything. One good and two OK playoff games by Schneider after two average games by Luongo, and the fan base was ready to run Luongo out of town. If Schneider doesn't perform up to the fan's expectations of him, the fan base will turn on him in a heartbeat.

Half the fan base who are lou fans have already turned on him, exhibit a would be yourself. Both lou and schneider have an uphill battle with fans on either side of the fence, and its been that way for over a year now.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
And as many know I'm a Luongo fan. I had him as our future goalie until Canucks decided who their guy was. I defended him relentlessly over the past few years. But I'm a fan of the team first and foremost and I can recognize when it's time to move on. I'll still cheer for the guy regardless of where he goes. He brought great success to this organization and provided a real turning point in this team's fortunes.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006

The overriding message Luongo gave was that first and foremost, he wants to play. Anywhere - and that includes Vancouver.

I also disagree with the outcome if Lou stays. Fans will eventually support their undisputed starter and they're smart enough to know if Gillis had to trade Cory for a far better return, it benefits the club.

We've seen Schneider get blown up just the same as Luongo has; it doesn't matter who is in net when this team breaks down and gives up trying.

A new coach could make a world of difference for Luongo as well.

That all said, given Gillis' last offer to Toronto (if it can be believed) he's hell-bent on trading him, even for scraps.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Ive always thought that the best time to move Luongo is this summer. Obviously it's frustrating for all involved, but 8 teams will lose in the 1st round (not to mention the teams that miss the playoffs because of goaltending) and many of them will blame goaltending. Eventually some of these teams are going to realize that these bandaid solutions to their goaltending issues don't work and they need a proven winner with a track record of being a #1 goalie.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
The overriding message Luongo gave was that first and foremost, he wants to play. Anywhere - and that includes Vancouver.

I also disagree with the outcome if Lou stays. Fans will eventually support their undisputed starter and they're smart enough to know if Gillis had to trade Cory for a far better return, it benefits the club.

We've seen Schneider get blown up just the same as Luongo has; it doesn't matter who is in net when this team breaks down and gives up trying.

A new coach could make a world of difference for Luongo as well.

That all said, given Gillis' last offer to Toronto (if it can be believed) he's hell-bent on trading him, even for scraps.

I dont know what to say, this is a fantasy scenario, if cory was to be moved they would have did it. Do you think anyone likes this continuing? If they felt they could rectify this situation by trading cory, it would have been done and this entire drama would be avoided.

But they made a commitment to him when he re-signed here and they anointed him number 1 and looked for trade options with lou who also approved of moving on. Unless schneider tells gillis he wants out this wont change, they made the decision.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Ive always thought that the best time to move Luongo is this summer. Obviously it's frustrating for all involved, but 8 teams will lose in the 1st round (not to mention the teams that miss the playoffs because of goaltending) and many of them will blame goaltending. Eventually some of these teams are going to realize that these bandaid solutions to their goaltending issues don't work and they need a proven winner with a track record of being a #1 goalie.

This was true last off-season as well, the only difference is that Luongo has one less year of "prime"/good hockey left in him now.

His value isn't going to shoot back up. We're not going to get something monumental. Gillis should have traded him for what he could get, and moved forward. This team doesn't need this lingering around them.

This type of thing can't possibly be helping their lethargic/uninspired on ice performances.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, that was a waste of time. I wanted Luongo gone just so that the endless speculation and arguing and uncertainty was finally over and the team could close the book on it and start anew.

So much for that.

No other deadline deals. *sigh* Oh well.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I dont know what to say, this is a fantasy scenario, if cory was to be moved they would have did it. Do you think anyone likes this continuing? If they felt they could rectify this situation by trading cory, it would have been done and this entire drama would be avoided.

But they made a commitment to him when he re-signed here and they anointed him number 1 and looked for trade options with lou who also approved of moving on. Unless schneider tells gillis he wants out this wont change, they made the decision.

This is exactly right. Gillis already committed to Cory, and thought he'd get a king's ransom for Luongo. But he was wrong, and here we are. Things have changed. Cory doesn't have an NTC, and has far greater value around the league.

I agree the scenario is unlikely, but I just wouldn't be surprised to see Gillis explore it - and I think he should (even though I also prefer Cory, all else being equal).

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Well, that was a waste of time. I wanted Luongo gone just so that the endless speculation and arguing and uncertainty was finally over and the team could close the book on it and start anew.

So much for that.

No other deadline deals. *sigh* Oh well.

I know, in some odd way, this reminds me of the Nedved saga.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Very boring deadline day. All we can do now is hope Roy fits in well, Kes and Booth heal up and we can find some magic come the playoffs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yep. That whole thing came off more as a, 'i had a good run here' than anything resembling an, 'i want to stay here'.

Half the fan base who are lou fans have already turned on him, exhibit a would be yourself. Both lou and schneider have an uphill battle with fans on either side of the fence, and its been that way for over a year now.

To an extent, i think this is the sad truth. A lot of people are going to have a hard time moving on. And tbh, the frustrating part of it, is that the way this situation has been handled and drawn out so long, has only made things worse in that regard.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

Luongo was a better goaltender last year. Luongo was the better goaltender at the beginning of the year. Schneider is playing better now.

I prefered Luongo to Schneider at the beginning of the season. Schneider has since proven himself to be a legitimate starter- in fact, he's probably the best player on our team now.

Luongo won the fans over in the first two years with his play. If / when Luongo is dealt, the fans will love Schneider if he does well and will chastise him if he does poorly. If there's one thing that Canucks fans are good at, it's reacting appropriately to goaltenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad