Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline - So How About that Luongo Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Not really much point in dealing Luongo today unless we're getting a roster player back. Scrivens and draft picks don't help us for the playoff run.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Agreed, moving Schneider is likely the best move for the organization.

Makes sense in a way - all of Lou and the Sedins have maybe 3-4 years of quality hockey left, and some of our D-man contracts will have expired as well.

Go for it, and then blow up and rebuild properly.

The difference between Schneider and Luongo is simply not that big.

Moving Schneider is the dumbest thing Gillis can do.

That's a lie. Luongo and the Sedins are past the point where they can carry the team to a Cup.

The difference between Schneider and Luongo is not that big? Schneider has outplayed Luongo for a while now. Schneider is the clear cut #1 guy. Schneider has a reasonable contract. Schneider is younger. Schneider is composed and mature. Schneider took a back seat for two years without a peep, without demanding a trade, without demanding Luongo be traded, etc. Schneider has been THE consummate professional throughout this whole ordeal. No animosity in his eyes as his starting role was given to Luongo at the beginning of the season- only a genuine smile.

Don't pretend like the difference between Schneider and Luongo is small. Schneider's the most important healthy player on this team right now (second to Kesler overall). If anybody's going to be built around, it's Schneider. You never deal a franchise centre-piece, and that's what Schneider is.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
This was true last off-season as well, the only difference is that Luongo has one less year of "prime"/good hockey left in him now.

His value isn't going to shoot back up. We're not going to get something monumental. Gillis should have traded him for what he could get, and moved forward. This team doesn't need this lingering around them.

This type of thing can't possibly be helping their lethargic/uninspired on ice performances.

Gillis tried to trade him for what he could get. The resounding answer from TO was essentially "we'll only take him for free".

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well thats for all teams.

What we know right now is we have 7 forwards scoring at a top 6 rate. All signs right now don't point to there being a huge drop off. And those issues/concerns are the same for all teams.

Have those other teams struggled to score in the playoffs for a few years as well?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Moving Schneider is the dumbest thing Gillis can do.

That's a lie. Luongo and the Sedins are past the point where they can carry the team to a Cup.

The difference between Schneider and Luongo is not that big? Schneider has outplayed Luongo for a while now. Schneider is the clear cut #1 guy. Schneider has a reasonable contract. Schneider is younger. Schneider is composed and mature. Schneider took a back seat for two years without a peep, without demanding a trade, without demanding Luongo be traded, etc. Schneider has been THE consummate professional throughout this whole ordeal. No animosity in his eyes as his starting role was given to Luongo at the beginning of the season- only a genuine smile.

Don't pretend like the difference between Schneider and Luongo is small. Schneider's the most important healthy player on this team right now (second to Kesler overall). If anybody's going to be built around, it's Schneider. You never deal a franchise centre-piece, and that's what Schneider is.

I'm a big fan of both, and there isn't much of a difference. Stats-wise, it's a wash. You simply can't discount a guy like Luongo who puts up .920 every season. Schneids looks has only a .018 advantage in one year, in the other years it's more like .001 - plus, he's done it for what I call the 'danger zone' of 20-35 games where a backup can look really good.

Think back to last year. Some would argue that Schneider didn't actually earn the starting job for the playoffs. I disagree but the fact is that the debate existed and it raged for awhile. By the way, I disagree because I felt either guy could have done the job in the playoffs.

The real issue is that this coaching staff has to get this team playing well, with intensity and producing the offense it can - in the playoffs. That's a far bigger issue than which of these two guys we keep as our goalie.

cutcopy

May 31, 2011
I rather the team keep Luongo than deal him to the leafs. They don't deserve him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Since this thread has become primarily about Luongo, I'll shut it down and ask that the conversation continue in the designated Luongo thread.

Further discussion on trades made by other teams can go to the Around the League Thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->