Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline - So How About that Luongo Trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Derek Roy is an undersized forward that was recently a 40 point player on a non playoff team. Concern that he is not the answer is warranted.

Considering the price and that he is a UFA not much concern is warranted. Is he likely an upgrade on Schoeder? Yes. Plays the point on the powerplay, plays on the pk, and is left handed center ice man for faceoffs, looks good. If not good riddance, look for UFA or Schoeder next year, little harm done.

Dado

Considering the price and that he is a UFA not much concern is warranted.

I agree that the price we paid puts us in a place where we don't have to be hugely concerned about wasting the resource.

However, if the goal is to make a run for the cup, then it's not really about the price, it's about the likely performance level. That's where the concern is warranted.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ya if anyone is going to prove me wrong it will be Raymond, but I don't see it.

He certainly has something to prove this year in the playoffs.
But hands up for anyone who predicted he would play this well this year. Not me that's for sure. Almost everyone was ready to trade him for a bag of pucks, minus the pucks.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I agree that the price we paid puts us in a place where we don't have to be hugely concerned about wasting the resource.

However, if the goal is to make a run for the cup, then it's not really about the price, it's about the likely performance level. That's where the concern is warranted.

All the other options went for more than Roy and many of them went with a lot of salary left. I am glad we avoided that. Pommy or Gabroik would have tooken most of our young propects then we would lose more players next year to pay their full salaries. I would not sign them to those contracts eventhough pay assets to get them with those contracts. We are already at the cap next year losing Raymond Booth Ballard and Luongo, if we keep Roy. If we got another contract we would lose Roy as well plus the assets traded.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
But hands up how many people who predicted he would play this well this year. Not me that's for sure. Almost everyone was ready to trade him for a bag of pucks, minus the pucks.

It's not that great though. He's on pace for less points than before the 10/11 run...

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
But hands up how many people who predicted he would play this well this year. Not me that's for sure. Almost everyone was ready to trade him for a bag of pucks, minus the pucks.

Especially since Gillis et al. cut him down with arbitration as well. None of us really believed he would excel like he did this season, except for a select few. But those were rare.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
The problem is whether Raymond will look like a second-liner in the playoffs.

Wow, if I was Mason Raymond I'd want the 1st flight out of Vancouver too. A fanbase of violence, hostility and negativity. What does the guy have to do (and he's smiling most of the time)? Luongo gets 6 tries at a good playoffs, surely Raymond deserves 2 (while healthy). Which Canuck forward can score goals beyond poke check distance better than Raymond?

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Raymond's shot has improved dramatically. If you ask me he, he is a changed player this season. Not sure what to expect from him this year in the playoffs but it wouldn't suprise me if he produces.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's not that great though. He's on pace for less points than before the 10/11 run...

On this team the way it's presently constructed I think he's been great. He's played with Hansen (another real surprise) and Schroeder for the most part and put up those numbers. He's developed a shot that we haven't seen before and he's even scored some greasy goals. For a guy making the kind of money he's making he's a big part of why we're still in the playoffs.

cooker24

May 7, 2002
Visit site
newell_brown110156.jpg

"Side board to D man one timers instead of D to D one timers and using the Umbrella is the way to go."

Ugh. It kills me that the Canucks don't go D to D on the PP. Play catch. It's a no-risk play that helps open things up, sets up one timers, and can help open plays down low. Makes me angry just typing this.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Massive amounts of doom and gloom in this thread.

Yeah, we didn't do anything today but if Gillis and company didn't like what they saw then thats that. Derek Roy is what we got, Kesler/Raymond/Weise is coming back from injury, same with Ballard. Kassian is back.

This is our team, we ride this team to the playoffs. Lets see how they do..too early to write them off.

Deal with it people, this is our team for now

TheDiver*

Read this post from a Bruins fan:

"B's are after 41 year old Jaramir Jagr. Ya just what we need another slow player.

Please kill me"

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I actually really like our lineup. If we peak at the right time anything could happen. Not really any weaknesses anywhere in the lineup.

If Kesler can stay healthy I like our lineup. I want to see him go through a playoffs in good health just once. Kesler is the guy, IMO, who makes this team click.

TheDiver*

Massive amounts of doom and gloom in this thread.

Yeah, we didn't do anything today but if Gillis and company didn't like what they saw then thats that. Derek Roy is what we got, Kesler/Raymond/Weise is coming back from injury, same with Ballard. Kassian is back.

This is our team, we ride this team to the playoffs. Lets see how they do..too early to write them off.

Deal with it people, this is our team for now

*Looks at roster from last game...sees:
Andrew Ebbett
Nicklas Jensen
Steven Pinizzotto
Jordan Schroeder
Tom Sestito
Bill Sweatt
Cam Barker

Weeps a little*

Status
Not open for further replies.